Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aight....so I have a k20a2 and my tps was shot...so I got a ep3 tps and switched the two outer wires around to see if that would resolve the problem since finding a typeS tps is so damn hard....anyway, that was unsuccessful, so I finally get a hold of a typeS tps and I wire it up back to how it should be, and still I'm having issues...I can't rev past 4k and as far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, when the tps is not functioning right, it will limit you to only 3500 - 4000 rpm's per gear?>....I dont know what to do...I havent tried jumping ecu yet to see what codes it is throwing....please, if anyone has a solution help me....one other question, has any company released yet itb's that there is hood clearance for either an ek or eg?? thanx for any input..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aight Nikos, so I just came from checkin the problem and still no good....I unpugged the battery and ecu for a few minutes and then plugged in...no good.
then, I tried jumpin the harness to see what codes it was gonnna give...it wouldnt give me any codes which is odd since its the same process as junpin an eg or dc....btw, I have an ek....anyway, I am also idling 1500 which I cant adjust and I know that there is a hole in the throttle body that lets you adjust where u idle at but, on the typeS throttle body, there is nothing there to let me adjust it unlike on a b-series...what else could I do?

·
Registered
119 Posts
hey im having similar problems with my k24 tsx. except my idle is non existant. if i dont give it gas, it dies. my idle is set and re-set about 4 time on my k-pro and still wont work. my tps is good i know that. im am also using a base rsx tps because when i bought my type-s motor it was broken so i bought a base tps and that worked fine until i blew my type-s motor. good luck im at a loss, sorry i couldnt help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nah its alright, I was hopin that someone could share some suggestions as to what I could do but still no good....I don't know what to do and it feels like an eternity until it will be resolved.

·
Registered
34 Posts
zjigg1k said:
aight Nikos, so I just came from checkin the problem and still no good....I unpugged the battery and ecu for a few minutes and then plugged in...no good.
then, I tried jumpin the harness to see what codes it was gonnna give...it wouldnt give me any codes which is odd since its the same process as junpin an eg or dc....btw, I have an ek....anyway, I am also idling 1500 which I cant adjust and I know that there is a hole in the throttle body that lets you adjust where u idle at but, on the typeS throttle body, there is nothing there to let me adjust it unlike on a b-series...what else could I do?
Is the TPS adjutment similar to previous generations? As in, you measure the TPS output voltage at closed throtle and adjust it to whatever the K-series spec is? This can be done quite easily if you're using K-pro.

That is usually the most common TPS problem people have, especially when the car is not idling properly.

Pascal

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish my knowledge of tps sensors were as broad as yours frog....you would need to be a lil more clear for me to understand that....and ufortunately, I do not have a k-pro but a reflash ecu...

·
Registered
34 Posts
zjigg1k said:
I wish my knowledge of tps sensors were as broad as yours frog....you would need to be a lil more clear for me to understand that....and ufortunately, I do not have a k-pro but a reflash ecu...
:eek: Yes......I......have very broad knowledge........I wish

thank you for the compliment, but I didn't mean to mislead you with my limited knowledge, but here goes anyway.

The TPS is really a potentiometer. A potentiometer is used for things like volume control on a stereo(assuming it's a volume knob, not digital). All it does is measure the voltage as the knob is turned, in this case TPS . By turning the knob TPS, you are decreasing/increasing resistance and therefore changing the output voltage. The spring portion of the TPS ensures it always comes back to reference voltage(mute you could say) when you let go of the throttle.

Since it needs a reference voltage to start, Honda sets up the ECU to accept .5V as 0% throttle, idle. There is some tolerance, even if it's indicating .48V, it should still be fine. The TPS should have three wires, input voltage, ground and output voltage.

The voltage reading you are looking for is the output voltage. You can either do this at the ECU or at the TPS. Using K-Pro you would be able to have the voltage reading off your laptop.

So here is how we would usually do the adjustment without Hondata goodies.

-Get a hold of a voltmeter
-turn the ignition key to the ON position, the car doesn't need to be running for this.
-I'm not sure if I can describe how to do this, but I will try:

The tricky part is that the TPS connector has to be hooked up to the TPS in order to get the output voltage. The ground wire would usually be the black, brown or brown/black one. The output signal will be one of the other two. I don't have the RSX shop manual here, but if you need it I can take a look tommorow for the signal wire colour. You can either slice open the insulation on the wires connecting to the TPS, or you can try and insert the volmeter probes through the seal surrounding the contacts in the TPS connector plug.

-Once you have the voltmeter hooked up to the right wires, the reading should be somewhere around the .05V target hopefully. I don't know what the input voltage is on the RSX, but if it's more than 5V-6V, you probably have the input voltage wire, not output. If the output signal is way off the .05V, then you found your problem.

-If adjustment is needed, you loosen the two screws holding the TPS in place, and rotate the TPS untill the volmeter reads .05V or as close to that as possible.

-Tighten the screws and you should be good to go.

Now that is how I know to adjust the TPS, some people get the output signal at the ECU. The .05V is what the Helms manual recommends, and they also say the Wide open throtle voltage should be 4.8V.

I never adjusted a K-series TPS, so hopefully it's the same procedure as described. If anyone has any correction to what I wrote, please let me know as I don't want to missinform anyone.

good luck,

Pascal

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dam.....knowledge is power..... :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lifendet said:
Dam.....knowledge is power..... :cool:
indeed it is....this is all reminding me of physicis class again...anyway, thanks for the info....I'm gonna try it the way you explained to me frog, and after that, I'm just going to invest some extra cash and upgrade to a k-pro to make life so much easier..unless I can use my friend's aem from his k...

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow...I know that I don't have a K (yet) but I had a lot of very similar experiences with my D17.

1) TPS was changed
2) IAC Valve inspected and changed
3) Alternator Changed
4) A/C compressor changed

My car did have a problem with stopping at 4k but that was cuz I didn't have a lot of oil in it and when I pulled a turn too hard...the oil shifted in the pan and the ECU kept shuttin the VTEC down when it tried to engage. Scared the shit outta me when it happened. It threw a CEL at me too.

anyway - hope it works out for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.