Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Can the stock fuel filter restrict hp?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TrueZen 
I have often questioned the use of fuel coolers. It seems it can be argued both ways on whether they are effective or not. On one hand, fuel atomizes when heated, so pulling heat from the fuel could hamper atomization and have a negative effect on flame propagation and mixture hemogeny. At the same time, cooling the fuel would increase its density meaning more BTU's in the cylinder.

It seems that a setup with fairly high intake air temps would probably benefit from cooled fuel because the fuel would vaporize and absorb the heat, as well as create some additional detonation resistance. I would think that forced induction cars would benefit from this more than NA cars for sure.

Just in thinking of this further, it seems that this would be a viable solution to fight detonation in a setup that is pushing the limits of the fuel it uses. Thats just the thing though, this is more of an anti detonation application than it is an increase in horsepower application.

I think if the engine in question is creating enough heat by way of either plain combustion or high intake temps then vaporizing the fuel upon entry to the chamber shouldn't be an issue. If your depending on cylinder temps to do the work though, then intake port texture and design should play a role in increasing atomization to reduce port wall "wetting" in whatever way possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.