Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
to find more info on the ep, go to either ephatch.com or k-series.com. and yes it can be turboed, it just has high compression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
the high compression is not as good for turbo as all motor, but if you check out the sites i posted above they have alot more ep3 members. this site has mostly eg, dc2, and ek swapping members.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
JThrasher79 said:
to find more info on the ep, go to either ephatch.com or k-series.com. and yes it can be turboed, it just has high compression.
He is asking can it be boosted on the motor not on the Chassic code.. :D


Yes, you can...It's Destination that kill the motor not the compression...


Full-race has a nice kit for your setup. check them out... :up:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
You can boost anything for the right amont of money and supplies. If your lookin to boost low compression is best high compression would be good for say a supercharger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
high compression motors can be boosted with success. the only diference is the margin of error for tunning is less. but hopefully ur best purchase will be a type of engine management. good luck

Gravy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
TeamPacman said:
He is asking can it be boosted on the motor not on the Chassic code.. :D


Yes, you can...It's Destination that kill the motor not the compression...


Full-race has a nice kit for your setup. check them out... :up:
He ment to say Detonation will kill the motor.. not compression. It's safe to boost a k20a at VERY low PSI. 5psi max (to be safe.) If you use low compression pistons you can up the boost.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Gravy said:
high compression motors can be boosted with success. the only diference is the margin of error for tunning is less. but hopefully ur best purchase will be a type of engine management. good luck

Gravy

It's all about the tuning. You can make more power per a pound of boost on a high compression motor than you can on a low one... but it has to be tuned right or else it will just blow up... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I'd go with a supercharger due to the high compression but that might be a problem in an ep only because of clearance issues.. I think it was discussed before on another forum that if you swapped a k20a into an ep that the supercharger wouldnt fit correctly. Im sure you can find out more information, but if you did do the swap use kpro to do the tuning and greddy and cybernations both have good kits. Guardian is an option but recently many people havent been too fond of it.. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
correll said:
He ment to say Detonation will kill the motor.. not compression. It's safe to boost a k20a at VERY low PSI. 5psi max (to be safe.) If you use low compression pistons you can up the boost.

5 is being safe, but ive seen people running 10psi daily on a boosted k20.... It all depends on the engine and how it was maintained before boost, every engine is different.. Some will detonate and some will crave more boost, luck of the draw i guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
A true ripoff, you just paid 5 grand or more to then switch out pistons and rods anyways and maybe even the cams depending on your setup too much lift isn't good for boosted cars. Yes you can tune your car to boost a high compression motor but for what 6psi? maybe 8-10 on a sleeved motor (maybe thas a little low)? The best way is to balance out your compression and boost so you don't lose torque. Compression and boost can't weigh out the other or else u'll just be counter-productive for instance:
-high boost with very low compression - by the time you hit full boost at x rpm your opponent is at the finish line.
-high compression with very little boost - you just paid 2-3 grand to boost 4 psi and gain 20 horses maybe more or less but you could've used that money for some cams and itb's and u would've been a monster.
-high compression with no boost - 270 whp all motor is sick as hell its like 500hp on a boosted car.

There's actually a table with this stuff, with the B series about 9.5 was ideal cpr for boosted cars some people go 9.0 to boost more and gain more high end. Gsr motors are best motors to boost. A H22 boosted in a integra had like 600 whp with 173lbs of torque! I guess i went a little off topic hahaha. oh well who cares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
droopy172 said:
A true ripoff, you just paid 5 grand or more to then switch out pistons and rods anyways and maybe even the cams depending on your setup too much lift isn't good for boosted cars. Yes you can tune your car to boost a high compression motor but for what 6psi? maybe 8-10 on a sleeved motor (maybe thas a little low)? The best way is to balance out your compression and boost so you don't lose torque. Compression and boost can't weigh out the other or else u'll just be counter-productive for instance:
-high boost with very low compression - by the time you hit full boost at x rpm your opponent is at the finish line.
-high compression with very little boost - you just paid 2-3 grand to boost 4 psi and gain 20 horses maybe more or less but you could've used that money for some cams and itb's and u would've been a monster.
-high compression with no boost - 270 whp all motor is sick as hell its like 500hp on a boosted car.

There's actually a table with this stuff, with the B series about 9.5 was ideal cpr for boosted cars some people go 9.0 to boost more and gain more high end. Gsr motors are best motors to boost. A H22 boosted in a integra had like 600 whp with 173lbs of torque! I guess i went a little off topic hahaha. oh well who cares.
I highly doubt the 600 whp with only 173ftlbs of torque... actully I know thats not true..
I have tuned stock boosted gsr motors to make like 285-300 whp with a little more than 200ftlbs of torque ......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
droopy172 said:
-high compression with very little boost - you just paid 2-3 grand to boost 4 psi and gain 20 horses maybe more or less but you could've used that money for some cams and itb's and u would've been a monster.
Umm, I don't think so. Go check out some of the ITR's on H-T that are boosting on stock blocks. They won't boost more than 8PSI, well at least the smart ones won't. amd they are making in the 300-350whp range. If I am correct, which I am thats a nice 100-150 hp gain. Higher compression more power you make per a pound of boost. So ou can make the same power on an ITR boosted as you can on a GSR boosted at much lower boost preasures... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
jon v said:
Umm, I don't think so. Go check out some of the ITR's on H-T that are boosting on stock blocks. They won't boost more than 8PSI, well at least the smart ones won't. amd they are making in the 300-350whp range. If I am correct, which I am thats a nice 100-150 hp gain. Higher compression more power you make per a pound of boost. So ou can make the same power on an ITR boosted as you can on a GSR boosted at much lower boost preasures... :p
I don't want to argue with you cuz you do have very good points.
Ok I overexaggerated on the 20 hp gain, yes higher compression with low boost can give you great results along with a lot of low end to compensate turbo lag. However, this needs perfect tuning and I also think its power is limited unless you do change out the pistons and cams which sux cuz u just paid a butt load for your motor. I never said it couldn't be done, but the point I really wanted to make is its not as reliable. I said as instead of "it is" so you don't say "but so and so...." If you tune your car on a 80 degree day what about a 90 degree day, what if the place your at doesn't have 93 octane, what if its humid, very small margin of error on high compression turbo cars. Look at the JRSC boosted ITR on hondata.com (i know its not turbo but its boosted). I say only do it if its going to be your toy car and not your daily driver. I remember someone on another message board always said you can only pick two from these 3: cheap, fast, reliable.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top