Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,758 Posts
K24A3 with stock parts, except for NR RL5 pistons (projected bump to 11.13:1 comp) K-Tuned ECU / mapping...
I would check out the official dyno thread here at K20a.org, there is a ton of information about those engine setups. Also there is a thread called Max. power from a stock K24.

My personal recommendation for your setup is a TODA A3, which will make it a blast. It's no Drop In Cam (DIC) and need therefore adapted springs, but it will outperforme any of your suggested cams. The DC 2.2 is a good cam, but peaky concerning torque with a huge midrange lack during cross over of VTEC, before and after. The Skunk2 Tuner series was for long well known for causing massive TCT wear because of their steep lobe ramps. Their approach is really peak power related, the exhaust duration is longer then the intake duration to keep Pumping losses small at peak power, but sacrificing low end therefore. Those cams are not to well developed, while the DC OG series is still better. An planet further the TODA cam is, less TCT wear, better and wider torque band as any of those two mentioned brands.

If you want to keep it stock with massive midrange, keep the TSX 06+ cams, s, mount a K20 head on it and use a RBB intake manifold...that's the easiest way to widen the high speed torque curve and lift it significantly over the K24A3.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the input. I think as good as they sound the TODA's are a little out my price range for this build ($1,3K for the pair). I need to figure out what year my motor actually is, is was sold as an '05, but many of the parts (chain guide / tensioner, etc) I've removed have '06 date codes cast in them.

I'm thinking I should just get the '06 intake cam, if my motor really is '05. Can't find an online reference that lists motor numbers for a model range. I'm used to Volvo which gives that data in their parts catalogues.

EDIT: '06 Cam spec HERE

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can't find any reference threads that describe what markers to look for on cams sold as '06-'08 (TSX), so I can be sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. Can anyone provide any insight?

EDIT: Assuming I can find th correct cam, it appears the VTC needs to be modified.
, I'd rather modify the 25º TSX VTC I alrerady own, since I have access to a machine shop.

The problem is of course I can't find any threads that discuss what or how to make the mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whats up boys. got a headbreaking issue. Ive done everything proper during installation of my k20z1. sorry to post this hear but admin has not activated account yet.
replaced two valve guides and two valves head gasket and a bunch of other little goodies. hand spun engine befor instal she felt great. timing checks out perfect. she got spark. she got fuel ( plugs coming out wet not dripping but wet) its will just crank and crank. I previously got an initial p1009 code on start up but after clearingh it, it has not come back but car will NOT start. cam sensors good and crank ps checks out as im getting spark.
anyhelp please. car has new tensioner too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Whats up boys. got a headbreaking issue. Ive done everything proper during installation of my k20z1. sorry to post this hear but admin has not activated account yet.
replaced two valve guides and two valves head gasket and a bunch of other little goodies. hand spun engine befor instal she felt great. timing checks out perfect. she got spark. she got fuel ( plugs coming out wet not dripping but wet) its will just crank and crank. I previously got an initial p1009 code on start up but after clearingh it, it has not come back but car will NOT start. cam sensors good and crank ps checks out as im getting spark.
anyhelp please. car has new tensioner too.
if you have spark and fuel, but not a single hint of ignition, I'd first remove the plugs, dry them, or even replace them, unplug the injectors and dry up the cylinders by cranking them a minute or so with the plugs removed.

Then reinstall and try again. Once you drowned the engine, it won't fire no matter how long you try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey man ive dried them cranked over and dried cylinders. checked lash again, timing is on point. even checked with holes in pulse plate which coincide with the cylinder head marks to slide a dowel in. i look at my timing marks on cam sprockets and it is spot on. check TDC cyl 1 with screw driver and its perfect. Headaches for days.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts