Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Factory Cam Chain tensioner Problem

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make or fix a hydrualic tensioner. or change a Hydrualic tensioner into a manual one etc?
I have an issue with mine at the moment when I come up onto Vtec itlets go of all the tension. I beleive this problem was around in the weekend during racing but when the car is idling it builds the tension back up.
Any ideas on a quick fix. since there is a 2-3week wait on the part to get a new one..
We have a couple of ideas that we are working on at the moment but any information from anyone would be happily accepted.. I dont know if this is a common problem or just a freak thing..

Ok I edited this because I have been searching and found some new info.. It appears the Mugen race team in the BTCC accords found some info about the K20A it appears that with the installation of 300+ degree duration camshafts the Factory tensioners start to fail. depending on how many miles they have done perviously. they also stated that they didnt beleive that the factory tensioner was relaible on the factory cams much after 100,000km's-60,000miles..
I guess that is the problem that I have run into with my motor. I have found a tensioner I can run through the weekend and afterwards I will be replacing it with a new one and will carry my own stock of tensioners so if this problem is on going I will not kill my motor.

My mechanics are going to try to modify a slightly used or dead tensioner so that it will be stronger and last the distance better. I will post info about it as we develop it more..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rubber Chicken said:
What cam sprockets are you using? If after market do they have the same rotational inertia as stock?

I use Toda cam gears. I have used them for ages and never had a problem. I dont know if the problems is just something from cams or the flywheel or the gears. or a combination of all of the above and extreme use..

·
Punishin' Bitches
2,453 Posts
Hmmm.... Sounds similar to the Prelude Tensioner Problem. Peoples Auto ones would fail if they started revving higher than stock redline, thus people switching out to the Non vtec H23 manual ones.

Keep us updated.

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
He doesn;t know. The car did around 40 dyno runs... In the end the tensioner was loose. Like gary said.. the motor is not getting beaten.. It is getting raped.

Even with a loose tensioner it still dynoed 240whp.. lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
non vtec said:
I use Toda cam gears.
Toda cam gears have a inertia weight which bolts onto the cam gear. Have your cam gears got that?

I've used an exhaust Toda cam gear for a long time without problem, but believe that without sufficient inertia the chain whips and upsets the tensioner.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I rang the shop about it. they think it might be related to the preloading on the valve springs and te cam profile that is causing the whip. maybe with that and an older tensiner the issues have come along. We have a replacement tensioner for te weekend. But we are going to look into making a mechanical tensioner similar to the B-series ones for it..

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
If you get a chance can you take a few pictures and show us what you are doing to help the situation?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.