Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some research for a friend. He has an I/H/E 05' RSX-S and is looking to possibly get the Hondata reflash. He is very concerned about being able to pass smog, and does not want to get it unless he can pass smog with it on.

He has already come to the conclusion that he is going to take his DC race header off for his smog, and does not want to deal with buying another ECU and switching them out for testing...

so any first hand experience with cali smog check on a Hondata flashed ECU?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm in VA but our emissions program is based on CA...
I don't think he'll have a problem as long as the RH is out of the equation and the cat is still in place. this was a sniffer test done on my car when it had just the reflash, I/E and DC short header... check the reading levels

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the ECU flash itself doesn't cause any issues with the comp? The test is performed as normal and is based soley on the output readings?

He is afrade that they will be able to tell the ECU is chipped...

·
Registered
709 Posts
dunno how they do it in CA nowadays but this was back from when they used a sniffer test here. now they have changed to OBDII computerized test (sniffer only done on older cars). I passed the computer test last fall with IPS cams, KPro and HF cat among other mods.

the reflash does not "chip" the ECU so I would think it matters even less than KPro. (I have read that there is some kind of checksum thing that can be read somehow to see if the ECU has been reprogrammed, I don't know if CA has gotten that advanced to be able check for that... but even the OEMs can reprogram the ECU with software updates, so I'm thinking it doesn't matter for emissions testing purposes.) I think IPS, Toda and Hondata have all had cars pass CA emissions with various versions of ECU modification.

As far as the OBDII test goes, they pressure-tested the gas cap and then plugged the DEQ computer into the OBDII port. it checks the ECU for CEL / stored DTCs and the state of the emissions readiness codes. if all is good then you pass; it only took a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks that helps a lot...

·
Registered
919 Posts
He will be fine. Shit, I took in my s/c k20a2 with fully tuned map, and it performed well below the average and leaps below the limit... my secret: put in 100 octane fuel in the car, but even with just premium, it will be fine. Hondata also said the same thing that the reflash causes no difference in smog emissions. In cali, they do three tests: idle, 15mph and 25mph, the latter two are under load, but the smog dude will never push it into vtec, even the lowered hondata vtec point... trust me, he'll be fine

edit: they do plug in to the obdII, but the reflash or k-pro cause no difference in the obdII functions

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK cool thanks

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
cltitus said:
i passed with k20a2 in my dc2 all you need is a cat back exhaust

are u in ca??

and you passed that is the same thing as an illegal smog your aware of that or do you have a ref sticker making it legal??

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cltitus said:
i passed with k20a2 in my dc2 all you need is a cat back exhaust
they let you slide on the visual, and just hooked you up to the sniffer?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Why do you need a catback exhaust??? I think you mean a catalytic converter... Anywho- as long as you have a cat, the reflash won't do poop to your emissions- as stated, but in higher octane gas if you're nervous- it'll help a little- Mark W.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in cali we not only have to pass the sniffer but also a "visual" inspection, making sure you have your OEM motor and all the corresponding CARB/Emissions equipment.

Some places are much more lax on the visual than others...
an adjustable FPR is legally an automatic fail (because it allows you to alter fuel preasure, which is considered altering the emissions controled equipment), therefor K20 swapped cars are illegal and can't be barred or pass smog (legally)...

But like I said some are much more lax on the visual, but I am askin for a friend with an RSX anyways, was just wonder about the reflash... I already got my K swap EK taken care of, got it smogged with no motor in it (great results)...

Thanks Guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.