Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that there are K-Automatics from Accords, RSXs, TSXs, etc.. has anyone thought of or actually built an auto for their cars yet? I did a quick search and did not find anything. I'm thinkin about it...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Pretty sure you're diving into uncharted territory there. Honda autos are basically manuals with clutch packs so in theory you should be able to strengthen them with stronger gears and a custom converter but let me ask you this: how do you plan on controlling it? Kpro doesn't support auto ecus and I'm sure the wheel spin from a high power turbo car causes issues of it's own. There is a reason it hasn't been done often.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If K pro can't do it then AEM can or another standalone.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Contemplating doing this myself if my M/T does not work out as planned.

There have been people cryo-treat the gears, ring gears, change all the bushings to sintered bronze ones, and and and... The main issue I find with this is the lack of a limited slip differential to go in the AT. This is the main thing holding me back.

I believe IPT has harnesses to use a GM transmission controler.

I want to be able to have the best of both worlds with the flip of a switch.:cool:

The only thing that HAS NOT been tested is the high HP applications. The only person I know of at this point running one makes about 210 HP and is using dual ECU kpro setup to control the trans, and have the ablility to tune the car.

I have been rattling this around in my brain for quite a while, and may put a stock AT in with a nice TQ converter with a decent stall.

My original setup was AT(honda element), and my only concern at that time was finding a way to activate my BOV when shifting without having to lift off the gas.

I made about 275 or so on a little t3 super60 setup, and that car felt way faster than that measly number.

Another guy had about 300 to the wheels on a 30r, no problems.(he sold his to get a WRX)

Both of these were in 36XX lb. Honda Elements, so not much of a comparison, but they seem to be able to hold torque fairly well(not sure about the kind of power you are making, but it is all in how you drive it, as I have had a 340+ HP manual trans honda(and a heavy Element mind you) for over two years daily driven, and I drive it like it should be driven(hard, but respectfully).

I know the Honda ATs are a whole different beast, but look at the number of really quick DSMs that run an AT. Those cars do not have many drivetrain failures due to the reduced shock load on everything from not dropping the clutch.

I think this is something that needs to be explored, but one will need custom top and rear transmission mounts to make this work.

The other thing that is great about those transmissions is they are geared VERY well for a turbo car(at least to me, first is like 2.6 or 2.7) this will help get off the line without as much wheelspin, but the FD is 4.5 or so, so it will still pull hard at the end of the track.

I may be a total loon for having this idea, but I think given the R&D this could be a very reliable, quick, and streetable setup.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew I wasn't the only one thinking about this... It just seems like it would be so easy...if you beefed up the stock auto.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We have also entertained this idea...one of my biggest concern is the electronics portion of it. My other concern is longetivity. There is NO aftermarket support for automatic Honda/Acura other than torque converter manufacturers making a high stall TC. We can build them a little tighter and utilize different frictions in the clutch packs but, I don't think that they will handle the rigors of high HP#'s.

Judging from our automatic side..which makes the performance side look like small potatoes... Honda/Acura autos can barely handle the stock HP#'s! We sell them all day long. So making them last is gonna be a topic on its own. We have ventured into cryogenics and various metal treatments in manual trans racing applications and nothing proved to make a huge impact. So I don't for see this helping in a big way with the autos.

Its a tough one! But if it can be done and dialed in...it could change Honda drag racing

·
Registered
748 Posts
We have also entertained this idea...one of my biggest concern is the electronics portion of it. My other concern is longetivity. There is NO aftermarket support for automatic Honda/Acura other than torque converter manufacturers making a high stall TC. We can build them a little tighter and utilize different frictions in the clutch packs but, I don't think that they will handle the rigors of high HP#'s.

Judging from our automatic side..which makes the performance side look like small potatoes... Honda/Acura autos can barely handle the stock HP#'s! We sell them all day long. So making them last is gonna be a topic on its own. We have ventured into cryogenics and various metal treatments in manual trans racing applications and nothing proved to make a huge impact. So I don't for see this helping in a big way with the autos.

Its a tough one! But if it can be done and dialed in...it could change Honda drag racing
If these masters haven't figured it out yet, this will be a miracle if it happens.. I gave up on this and said ill go to a ppg synchro box if my stock one breaks(which I know in time it will)... And these will be the guys building it for me... They built my stock oddball transmission now, and I wouldn't use anyone else!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just shot Gearspeed an inquiry as well on if they have had anymore "Auto" Tranny owners asking about getting built transmissions?
I'm looking for someone that can beef one up for a build I am looking to do but I have been holding off as I know the auto trans has a ton of issues and I am almost at that 100K make on my stock engine.
I hope someone comes up with a legit solution other than Level 10 and IPT?

·
Registered
279 Posts
For auto, there are a few things we can do. A modified torque converter, and friction plates is about it. Not a whole lot of parts available to modify auto unfortunately.

·
Registered
197 Posts
For auto, there are a few things we can do. A modified torque converter, and friction plates is about it. Not a whole lot of parts available to modify auto unfortunately.
do u guys offer this service if so how much?

im running kpro on my 7th gen accord auto transmission, k24a2 swap/accord 5speed auto... was going to do a tsx 6spd swap b4 throwing the s/c on it but not rly planing on doing any kind of racing so a beefed up auto + s/c sounds a whole lot better for daily driving.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Give us a call when you have time, and we can go over details about getting a custom converter into yours or one of our units. Good time to go over or exchange the trans as well, because most of the automatics have a big bearing walking issue that creates howling and wining noises and premature wear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Give us a call when you have time, and we can go over details about getting a custom converter into yours or one of our units. Good time to go over or exchange the trans as well, because most of the automatics have a big bearing walking issue that creates howling and wining noises and premature wear.
I was going to SC as well, but I think for daily drive reliability with the weak trans, I'll stick to a NA tune up instead.....BUT Gearspeed I might need to seek your advice and possible buy parts for the education !

I am in New Zealand, so bit of a drive to get you to do the work !

I am about to embark on a auto trans rebuild with my local gear box shop, as the torque converter I think is on the way out. I understand Honda has upgraded clutch pack to a better material, but didn't know there was options for the converter. I will try and ring in the next few days to discuss if that's OK ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So what we're trying to do here is take an auto trans and modify it alot?
YES - to handle supercharger power & torque, the honda auto trans is not know for being strong....I have stayed NA and upgrade the clutch plates. Exhaust and tune in progress.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts