Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i havent order all of my parts yet but this is the set up im going with do you guys know anyone running a set up like this or have any idea how much power it should make...this is my first k-series engine. this is a street engine i plan on using 93 octane and dropping it into a ek and tune it using a k-pro system. if anyone has any opinions that can help me out or advice i would be greatfull, thank you. i know what im asking for depends on alot of variables but im just looking for a base number.

k20a2 head: 1 mm over sized vales, open up the combustion chamber to match the bore and port the heads, crower 2 3/4 cam(not sure yet), crower spring kit with titanium retainers and either custom kibblewhite valves or crower valves. i will be using a dtr fab header i think since it doesnt cost a arm and a leg like all the hytech stuff and twm itb's(might have them ported to match the head)i forget what size injectors i calculated i needed for what i thought this engine would make(650 cc...i think)

k24 block: stock bore, carillo rods(maybe crower), coated wrist pins, bearings and pistons. stock crank(was going to do a h22 crank until i read in honda tuning that john said you had to do alot of mods to it.. expected to but i dont want to get into doing what he was saying). im doing custom wiseco pistons 11.5:1 or 12:1 but i may go with shelf stock 11:1 arias pistons and just mill the head to bump compression to 11.5.

thanks, also has anyone used a s2000 2.2L crank in a k24 block..will it work? an second has anyone had piston to valve clearence problems on k20/k24 hybrid motors?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would not go with oversize valves.The k20 engines dont seem to need any bigger.It could cause piston to valve or valve to valve clearance issues.I doubt vtc could be used.I would have an experienced headwork only shop determine if the engine could benefit from bigger valves.In some cases,oversize valve could cause shrouding of the valves.
You do not need to have the combustion chambers machined to match the bore.It can help deshroud the valves,but will lower compression.
You do not want the ports matched from the intake manifold to head or from the exhaust manifold to head.You want the header entrance bigger than the head exhaust port,and the intake manifold runner exit very slightly smaller than the head port.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Even though the f22c(2004 S2000) crank has the a more proper stroke for a k24 block it still needs major mods as well. It has come down to custom cranks to get the correct stroke out of the crank and then on top of it custom rods and 90mm bore pistons. Also it is not advisable to go with bigger valves. The head flows more that enough even for race cams. With bigger valves you will just be taking away from the compression ratio do to you taking more material away from the piston.

·
Registered
593 Posts
With arias 12.5:1 pistons we had custom ordered, the valve reliefs were insufficient for even JDM K20A cams at 50 degrees full advance! We will need to fly cut an additional 0.030" for the intake valve relief.

On a second motor we just finished building, we dropped in arias shelf 11:1 87mm K24 pistons and will be checking clearances soon. We're hoping they have more valve relief than the custom pistons.

This is a pretty serious issue with Arias pistons that will get rectified once we provide them with our final feedback. It's too bad the custom pistons didn't work right out of the box, but that's the nature of "custom" parts. Shelf parts though, is another story and we hope it works out.

-Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for the info ive been doing some more serious research on k motors and have came up with a pretty good combination i think, like i said im new to k series motors but im greatfull for the input and i look forward to learning more, cant wait to get my motor next week and tear it down to start measuring stuff!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys,

question to fearless_dsm.... I understand why you dont want an exact match of the exhaust port and header to reflect pressure waves away from the port, but whats the advantage of not matching the inlet ports, expecially using ITBs??

question for edo... have you tried weisco 86mm pistons? do they have enough valve relief to run full VTC with your K2 cams?? Thanks for the help!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.