Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just swapped my a2 into an EG hatch and I went to burp the cooling system and came up with this...

I have a k20a2 with asp headers, hondata IMG, ARP head studs blah blah that's about it...I'm running a type-s radiator.

I filled the radiator with coolant, turned the car on and continued filling the radiator as it got low, everything was normal at this point(just large air bubbles from air being in the system). When the thermostat opened, steam came through the top of the radiator, I'm assuming this was just the coolant hitting the now hot sleeves, so I kept filling it till it wouldnt take anymore. The burping seemed to stop after a few minutes but then small bubbles started to appear pretty rapidly seemingly coming from the upper radiator hose side of the radiator. I immediately thought head gasket because that would explain why the bubbles are small and fast but I want to be 100% sure before I replace it...also, there is condensation in the exhaust(white smoke) while it's first warming up, but it doesn't do it at all when it warms up. I replaced the head gasket in January and pulled the motor in February...so that would be shitty if it's the head gasket again, I didn't use that copper head gasket sealing shit that you spray on when you install it and I'm wondering if that's a mistake....

Let me know what you think, I'm going to check spark plugs right now to see if they're "new looking" and I'll try to do a leak down test sometime within the next week...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok all spark plugs look identical and I forgot to mention, when I shut the car off, coolant shoots about 6 or 8 inches up out of the radiator like a volcano...idk what all that's about...

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
You may notice the head of the motor sits higher than the top of the radiator. The way to fill a K swapped motor is to get the LISLE RADIATOR FUNNEL.

Jack the nose of the car up as far as you can to get an even level of the head and top of the radiator. Start the car and let it idle paying attention to your thermometer. Squeeze the hoses to burp the air out.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
Oh yeah, the "volcano effect" has been around cars with radiators since 1898. Kind'a like when steam jets up from a boiling steam kettle. Just leave the funnel in and it keeps the water from being a geyser. When there are no more, or very few bubbles shut the car off and put on the radiator cap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts