Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I attended an HPDE with Speed Ventures at Buttonwillow Raceway, as I was accelerating, exiting "Buttonhook", My car felt like it popped out of third gear, I attempted to put it back in gear, and everything felt as if it was working right with the shifter assy. but the gears wouldn't engage.
In the paddock we tried a few times to drive it:
Shift linkage good.
Clutch actuating properly.
Car won't go, it feels like the engine is spinning freely not connected at all to the wheels.
I figured the clutch had failed, towed the car home and dis-assembled it.
The pressure plate looks fine. Here is the clutch disc, clearly worn well past it's service limit, but not failed:

When we removed the drivers side axle, I noticed that the outer CV was not ok, so I removed the undamaged boot and found the bearing race broken in two:

Here are some detailed photo's of the wear on the outer CV as well:

I hope you guys can help me work out a few things here.

1. After inspecting the clutch and finding no major failure, and finding a clearly failed axle, I'm going with the broken axle as the source of my woes, but I don't see how the broken axle would mimic the symptoms of a clutch failure.
If the car is in first gear, the clutch is working ok enough to spin the tranny, wouldn't the axle have to actually spin inside itself, wouldn't that sound like a chunky horrible mess twisting the axle boot apart?
Wouldn't my OEM LSD (car has a JDM Type R Tranny) be trying to turn the other axle, making the car move at least a little bit?

2. Can someone help me identify my axles? I was told when I bought them used that they were Hasport. Here are some pics of the markings on them:
This is the stamp on the driver's side inner barrel:

This is the stamp on the drier's side outer CV:

3. I'm concerned that the driver's side axle is too long, and is binding, leading to it's excessive wear and failure. Here is a view inside of the driver's side inner barrel showing it's wear pattern. It seems a little deep in the barrel to me, but I don't see any signs of contact deeper in the barrel so maybe I'm off base:

I measured from the spider on the outer CV, driver's side:

And passenger side:

Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Use oem axles from an EP3 chassis & if you upgrade to a 36mm hub then use the even stronger axles from the rsx type-s. But The ep3 are stronger than the basic swap axles sold by most aftermarket companies.

·
Registered
399 Posts
So you couldn't select any gears? or you could select gears but it wont move?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could select the gears, but the car wouldn't move, I didn't look to see if the left axle was spinning in the CV before I took the car apart, it just didn't seem likely, i disassembled the car expecting very much to see a wasted clutch disc.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Something like this happened to a friend & it was the differential that failed. But it did not brake the axle!!!!. Can you place the axles back in the tranny and see if there is any play when you try to move it. If it moves the differential is broken. Also try to spin the axle to see if the input shaft moves. To rule out a broken final drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... Can you place the axles back in the tranny and see if there is any play when you try to move it. If it moves the differential is broken. Also try to spin the axle to see if the input shaft moves. To rule out a broken final drive.
I did this, put the axles in the tranny.
In neutral, while spinning the input shaft by hand, I was able to hold the axles still so that they wouldn't spin, I then engaged every gear, and was not able to hold the axles still when spinning the input shaft by hand, In my opinion everything was working as it should.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm. The axle that broke is 9/16" shorter than the passenger side, so they must have been swapped, or are indeed Hasport axles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts