Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this month's Honda tuning article about the fastbrakes kit upgrade and I am wondering how much better are these brakes than the stock GSR upgraded brakes?

·
Registered
46 Posts
They don't really offer anything over the original GSR brakes exept added heat absorption because of the larger rotor. In my opinion the Fast brakes system isn't worth the money. Especially since you can buy the wilwood 4 piston big brake kit with 12" two piece rotors to fit whatever civic hubs you have (9.4" or 10.2" stock brakes) for only $550 with non drilled rotors. Also, once you upgrade your front brakes, even less braking is done in the rear, so larger rotors are completly useless back there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check out the wilwood kit price here...

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/dbbfront_hat.html

$503 for Civic 90-99 with free stailness lines, shipping, and proportioning valve (needs custom install on prop. valve). You will need a bigger master cylinder (civic 1" or 15/16"). If you want the drilled/slotted rotors (looks good but hurts reliability and service life) its $130 more...

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Re: Brakes Upgrade What is the best value 4 disc brake setup

nikos said:
I was reading this month's Honda tuning article about the fastbrakes kit upgrade and I am wondering how much better are these brakes than the stock GSR upgraded brakes?

I dont know nikos.

O_O ... You know what I say for using that stuff for some perf. dish out 2k for some stoptechs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
This probably has nothing to do with your brake setup, but for my setup I just swapped the OEM Civic DX braking system from my Civic for a 5 lug from an ITR. This was probably the best upgrade I have every done to my car( for safety of course), all OEM and I know I can buy brake pads and such from any Honda dealership.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was watching Sports Car Revolution (a Canadian show for the performance enthusiast) and they did a brake upgrade on their Mugen RSX project. They tested the car on the track and found out that times were about the same. The then installed a mugen cat-back exhaust and discovered that they had actually lost 5 hp when compared to the baseline. Puzzled, they swap back the stock exhaust and found out that they had lost an actual 12hp!!! :shock: :shock: Not knowing what was causing this they contacted a "higher knowledge force" and were told that the brake upgrade was causing the 12 hp power loss. How could this be possible you ask? After all, the rotors are lighter than stock! Well it turns out they are but they are also larger in diameter; therefore creating more inertia. But if they lost all that power, how could it be possible to keep the same times at the tack? Well the larger brakes allow you to brake later and therefore carry mor speed through the corners. Now, I'm not saying big brakes are a bad upgrade; after all, we don't see F1's with 10" rotors. Just keep in mind what these guys discovered. Especially if you are building a 1/4 mile car.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I run my stock EG4 brakes on the front and some dirt track racing rear brakes that weigh nothing in the back... I can say they stop me from 114+mph without any issues what so ever... Although I wouldnt trust them on a long road thrash, but then if you have good pads and good fluid most brakes will stop pretty good..

I know for alot of upgrades here we actually use the factory Prelude brake set-ups on the EF-EG-EK civic and DA-DC integra's

·
Registered
458 Posts
so when replacing brake setup say putting a Integra r or gsr setup what is all needed to swap it in a 96 hatchback. Do the itr or gsr have abs? My consern is porportion valve and master cylinder line fitments.

·
Registered
250 Posts
94EG said:
Check out the wilwood kit price here...

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/dbbfront_hat.html

$503 for Civic 90-99 with free stailness lines, shipping, and proportioning valve (needs custom install on prop. valve). You will need a bigger master cylinder (civic 1" or 15/16"). If you want the drilled/slotted rotors (looks good but hurts reliability and service life) its $130 more...
I`m pretty sure you need at least a 16" wheel to clear the kit from Wilwood. Fastbrakes kits are designed to fit under most popular 15" wheels (with the correct offset). My Fastbrakes 4-piston Wilwood kit cleared most of the 15`s I tested.

Ryan

·
Registered
99 Posts
vuaccordla said:
so when replacing brake setup say putting a Integra r or gsr setup what is all needed to swap it in a 96 hatchback. Do the itr or gsr have abs? My consern is porportion valve and master cylinder line fitments.
I got 99-00 si F&R brake swap for my hatch - which included hubs, spindles, calipers, MC, PV (which actually has the same part # as stock DX PV - but i got it for piece of mind), si ebrake lines. BTW brake booster is the same between 99-00 si & 96-00 DX hatch.

I bought new REAL brembo "sport" rotors (cross drilled) which are not the same as the cross drilled rotors you see on ebay - most of which are blanks that were drilled out (process is not as good as the one real brembo sport rotors uses) & axxis ultimate pads.

I am also getting Techna-Fit SS lines with an outer plastic sleeve/coating to prevent dirt & debris from getting in the SS braids & wearing the teflon line. Techna-Fit makes the lines for STOPTECH brakes. Paying around $100 from kingmotorsports (while stoptech quoted me more tha $165)

if you do GSR or ITR I think there are more parts involved (rear trailing arms maybe????) here is an informative thread titled "X brakes on Y car" from H-T - make sure to read the whole thing :p
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=152884

if you need a full brake swap or just misc parts try www.importautosalvage.com - thats were I have gotten many of my parts (used but in very good condition

·
Registered
537 Posts
Great Subject!

Ive been contemplating which way to go lately...B Brake kit, brembos, wilwood, gsr hell even s2000.

So many choices so many differences. My car already stops pretty good with just green stuff pads but it (the braking system) gets inconsistent from to much heat.

Ive read about some guys that run vents to the rotors but havent seen it applied to the Civics yet....anyone want to elaborate on this?

The bling factor of bigger calipers and rotors is nice but I dont want to sacrifice much horsepower for braking.

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
non vtec said:
I run my stock EG4 brakes on the front and some dirt track racing rear brakes that weigh nothing in the back... I can say they stop me from 114+mph without any issues what so ever... Although I wouldnt trust them on a long road thrash, but then if you have good pads and good fluid most brakes will stop pretty good..

I know for alot of upgrades here we actually use the factory Prelude brake set-ups on the EF-EG-EK civic and DA-DC integra's
Care to explain the recipe for being able to use Prelude brake setup on DC2's? Are you using the 4 lug Prelude setup or the 5 lug setup. Either way, parts are abundant due to the availabilty of not only Preludes but also Accords that share the same setup.

If you don't want to make it public, care to share it in a PM with me?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wilwood is a great setup but, not very good on the streets. it will never see normal operating temp and so will never work the way it was designed for. But great for the track i.e. big buttonwillow. For a street and weekend tracker go with the 96+ ITR 5-lug setup. This has bigger axles and increases the track out 5mm on each side, so you will also want the Type-R wheel or a 30mm offset wheel for proper filament. The itr master cyl. and booster, and a 4040 prop valve will finish the upgrade. The GSR and Type-r master and boosters are both different and can not be swapped because of the way the master cylinder bolts to the booster. one is straight up and the other is angled. a 4030 prop valve will also work.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
i run a complete ITR/CTR setup on my car. WIth SS lines and ATE super Blue fluid. ITR MC and booster and Cobalt GT sport pads. I did not however hook up ther ITR ABS sensors, I enjoy practicing my thresh hold braking...

I am thinking about upgrading to the NSX or Legend claipers once I get the motor dropped in...

:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rageing up Palomar Mountain on tuesday early morning and almost ate crap in the rex. The 90-93 integ front and rear disk brake conversion but did not swap the M/C or prop valve. Works good untill you really need to stop and stop fast in a short distance. I was cooking hot 35-40 mph on the (slow side up the 76) around a 15 mph turn left turn, it is a partially blind corner with no cars in sight. When i get around that corner whats there a broken down dump truck in the middle of the lane. i jump on the brakes and guess what?? It locks (the front brakes) so i let off a bit and get on them again, it locks again. I think i go through that same scenerio about 7 or 8 times in 7 or 8 seconds. holy crap i was less then 2 ft from killing myself. :eek: :eek: :eek: The morale of this story is you need the 4 wheel disk prop valve. Oh and the 1" M/C is highly recommended. :up: Because speed doesnt kill it is the sudden stop from excessive speed that does.

·
Registered
496 Posts
vash_the_stampede said:
whats up guys.. i have the wilwood big brake kit on my dc5 and i love them... they look good and they stop big time... i would recommend them to anyone.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112390
Sweet. :up:

This set up allows for stock wheel configuration. However, after speeaking with Wilwood on the phone I found out they don't have a rear wheel upgrade kit for the EG/EK and lead me to Stainless Brakes for the rear. Still could run their calipers, though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Luder94 said:
Care to explain the recipe for being able to use Prelude brake setup on DC2's? Are you using the 4 lug Prelude setup or the 5 lug setup. Either way, parts are abundant due to the availabilty of not only Preludes but also Accords that share the same setup.

If you don't want to make it public, care to share it in a PM with me?
Why not make this public!? It has been for years.

It took me awhile to search and find this swap.(I had lost this site when the Compt dumped)
This is basically taking Prelude rotors, Accord EX calipers (Same Pt# as CTR)and knuckles, shaving the backside of the backing plate a bit and placing them on to have the monster grip without the huge bill.

Changing the master cylinder to a larger one would also be advised as the Accord calipers are BIG.

15in. wheels are necessary.

93-96 Prelude VTEC rotors Pt# -45251-SS0-A00 91-94
Accord Wagon Calipers Pt#- 45018-SM5-000RM and 45019-SM5-000RM
http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/bigbrakes.html
Swap kit after bone yard hunt assembly. :D

Dammit,,, I gotta get out of the back room. :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts