Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a JDM K24A for my k24/20 build I'm doing right now. After I took the timing cover off, I noticed some cracks, they seem to rise above the surface a bit. I need to know if these are actually part of the block, or just a coating or something that normally wears when it's in storage.

My old k20a2 block with ≈150k+ miles had some cracks that looked similar, but not nearly as many (pic for reference) and the block I just bought is much lower mileage.

Anyone else had any experience like this? I really need to figure this out because I don't want to start building my engine on a compromised block, especially since I plan to boost in the future.
I did try searching this up, but I couldn't really find anything, maybe I wasn't wording it correctly.

Edit:
Took my oil pump off, and I'm seeing those hairlines inside the block too

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,494 Posts
...I need to know if these are actually part of the block, or just a coating or something that normally wears when it's in storage.
If you are unsure use a simple dye penetrant test to confirm or not confirm it is a crack (s. Dye penetrant inspection - Wikipedia ). This test approach is simple, achievable and pretty reliable. I have used it for doing aftermath when engine failures occurred or were knocking on the door. Just incase you don't have trust on it, test it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Casting lines. It's normal.
Yeah after asking around and I figured out what's what it was. Apparently Honda doesn't use a very good casting process. Still weird how many more casting lines my k24 has vs my k20, but it should be fine

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,494 Posts
Still weird how many more casting lines my k24 has vs my k20,
An easy approach to check whether it is a dried oil layer or the casting itself having a crack would be to sand a 20 mm x 20 mm area where crack lines are dense and to see what happens with them a bit under its surface.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Casting lines aka "flash" is normal from my experience and isn't a large concern. Honda may not give much thought to casting but it excels at machining the final product, which is where it counts.

Mak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts