Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how much boost the stock sleeves on a k20a2 can handle. LIke if i was just using aftermarket pistons, rods and a block guard, what would be the max psi on a gt30/35R? I read about that rsx on clubrsx that made like 500+whp or something at 21psi but just curious if anyone confirmed this?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I dunno man..I have a K20A Setup w/ JRSC. Im guessing your thinking about Turboing it? Check www.clubrsx.com in their Turbo Forum.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Never change the sleeve, just put and weld a good block guard its enough ,m anyway even if you sleeve your block , it could break all the time anyway,i told you that by experience of my friends and me also

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
B18c5turbo said:
Never change the sleeve, just put and weld a good block guard its enough ,m anyway even if you sleeve your block , it could break all the time anyway,i told you that by experience of my friends and me also
:down: , I think you are a little mistaken there. when you sleave a block you sleeve it with material that is stronger than the OEM material. therefor it shouldn't crack uinder the higher loads that you are intending to put on it, and if it does it surely would have cracked the OEM sleeves.

Just my personal opinion. I wouldn't mind hearing your personal experiences...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know what you mean , everybody will telling its more tough than oem sleeves , for sure and i agrees with you, but the point is for me its money spend for nothin exept if you plan to run 500 WHP + as a Daily driven car, and i doubt it,only on track you push it hard, and even at 500 whp you dont have any traction soo for me sleeving the block that is not necessary we had one setup B18c5 block with all stock internals only a good block guard welded correctly and he ran it all day at 400-450 whp on the street and i never break something,other friend had sleeve his block with Aebs , and it crack by the way.If the block have to crack even sleeve or not it will break that it.if you dont plan to go over 500 whp , why sleeving??? and sorry guys but if you plan to run more than 450 whp on the street your stupid, no traction , but its a personal choice, Pistons forged,ROds are important for sure, sleeving nah.

·
Registered
363 Posts
TeamPacman said:
Detonation is what kill the motor...
I know, this is for why i tell, even if you sleeve, you could have a detonation and bang!! break your beautiful block sleeved, but the advantage of sleeving, normally they given you a fully warranty for life. :up:

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
B18c5turbo said:
I know, this is for why i tell, even if you sleeve, you could have a detonation and bang!! break your beautiful block sleeved, but the advantage of sleeving, normally they given you a fully warranty for life. :up:
yah but that is all in the tuning, that has nothing to do with the sleeves...

·
Registered
363 Posts
jon v said:
yah but that is all in the tuning, that has nothing to do with the sleeves...
hey come on , the guy on tune the car in here he knows what he does and also we use Aem Ems,hondata, you could have anyway a detonation an unlucky time and bang detonation, even if you put good gas in it, you could have a bad mili seconde and bang , it could break.we call it destiny! lol,I just say if you dont plan to run 450 whp + on the street of i doubt it.its enough with oem sleeves

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
:up:
B18c5turbo said:
I know what you mean , everybody will telling its more tough than oem sleeves , for sure and i agrees with you, but the point is for me its money spend for nothin exept if you plan to run 500 WHP + as a Daily driven car, and i doubt it,only on track you push it hard, and even at 500 whp you dont have any traction soo for me sleeving the block that is not necessary we had one setup B18c5 block with all stock internals only a good block guard welded correctly and he ran it all day at 400-450 whp on the street and i never break something,other friend had sleeve his block with Aebs , and it crack by the way.If the block have to crack even sleeve or not it will break that it.if you dont plan to go over 500 whp , why sleeving??? and sorry guys but if you plan to run more than 450 whp on the street your stupid, no traction , but its a personal choice, Pistons forged,ROds are important for sure, sleeving nah.
Any more than 450 whp on the street is pointless, without traction your hard earned money isn't even getting to the ground. Mickey slicks on the way to work, priceless...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried to decipher what was said before but... I couldnt so Ill just throw in my opinion.. The stock block should be able to hondle over 500whp with a very conservative tune if the RPMs are kept reasonable.

The GT30R is capable of making over 500whp @ around 25psi on a 2l. 35R about [email protected] 25psi and 650 @ 30. If you want to run more than 450whp I would suggest sleeving the block for safety.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not know much about boosting, but I believe the weekness of the K for high boost is that its an "open block" design. Wobbles under high boost. Good tuning will prevent detonation, but its all about insurance isnt it?

"open block" hope I used the correct term.

·
Registered
176 Posts
yes it has an open deck but ppl have gotten plenty of b series to see 450whp, and now the k series has 30-40% so i hear thicker sleeves so i dont see this being a problem denation or rod bearing failure from an oil problem is the first i would think of. but thats why if i plan to go turbo i will just run 110 on high boost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with duckmanEG. The K is beefier than the B was, and the B handled alot of hp. Sometimes the availability of aftermarket parts does not mean they are needed or better. Pistons and rods is what I would be replacing of I was to replace something. But thats only me and like I said I am not a boost guru. I would definately search for a good tuner and put my worries to rest as far as pre-det. goes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
but of course rods, pistons, sleeves will always keep u safe if u get an itchy finger and turn boost up, lol. as far as for me when i get serious the block will see ERL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.