Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. Ive broken various D brackets, and endlinks over the years but nothings happened this bad yet...

Bolt ripped out of the subframe that holds the D bracket for the rear sway bar =(. Running with comptech 25mm sway and progress tie bar.

As you can see from the pictures it needs to be re-threaded? should i drill a bigger hole and then re-thread? please give input!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Find someone to "Heli-coil" it.
It's hard to explain, but basically, they drill the hole out, re-thread it, put a little piece in the drilled and tapped hole, then they put a heli-coil that was the same size, pitch and thread in there so you can use the same hardware that was there before. Should be strong enough. This is basically what it is.
Good luck.

Christian

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
99.9% sure that hole isn't threaded. You've got a nut that is just hanging on back there. Probably stuck in the undercoating. I bet if you thread a bolt in a bit and give it a love tap with a mallet, it will pop right off...

I just referred to the installation instructions for my comptech rear sway... Nope... hole isn't threaded...

If you look at it from the other side, I bet you will see a silver nut that matches the rest of the hardware...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
99.9% sure that hole isn't threaded. You've got a nut that is just hanging on back there. Probably stuck in the undercoating. I bet if you thread a bolt in a bit and give it a love tap with a mallet, it will pop right off...

I just referred to the installation instructions for my comptech rear sway... Nope... hole isn't threaded...

If you look at it from the other side, I bet you will see a silver nut that matches the rest of the hardware...
this was on my ep3.

should i just try to bang that nut out? or dremel it off

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
this was on my ep3.

should i just try to bang that nut out? or dremel it off

yes. if there is a bolt on the back you can get an air chisel or just break it off. then just get a replacemnet bolt and nut to go with it. i would use a washer on the backside when you put it back together. :up:

·
Registered
235 Posts
It really isnt a big deal. Happened to me on my ep. I use metal spacers now. Progress 24mm adjustable bar.
drill it out make it clearance hole and put nut and lock on back side did that on my ASR brace and sway bar 24mm when i stripped the hole it doesn't look like it would work but it does i should note that this was on the lower hole not the upper but it should be similar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts