Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this past thursday i got my car tuned on e85 over at tony's at t1 race development here in texas. Prior to getting my car tuned i made sure my car was up and ready for the tune so i did the usual oil change, oil filter change, trans flush, one thing i should have done was checked my coolant levels before going to get tuned. So i got tuned thursday (made 204whp/147tq with crappy injectors..could have made more). After leaving his shop my cel poped on for a second...and then went back off so i didn't suspect anything at first. Later on that night my car started to overheat a tad bit (temp gauge rose to about halfway and CEL poped back on). So i went to the closest autozone (only a mile away) to get some coolant. Pour the coolant in and low and behold i was SUPER low on coolant. So i fill up the radiator and then top off my reservoir. Start driving again....no problems. Next day (friday) i notice a tad bit of whiteish smoke coming out of the exhaust so i called tony and he told me not to worry...says hes tuned cars on ethanol before and its most likely normal...it wasn't thick...almost looked like steam. He told me that at startup its normal for a bit of white steam looking smoke to come out because the e85 runs colder then pump gas and it was cold out that day. He said if it continues to smoke during normal driving then give him a call..it could be thermostat or headgasket.

So next day (yesterday) i check my coolent levels in the morning and notice they are way back down so im thinking...wtf? Started guessing that the whiteish smoke was the coolant being burned. So i start to think either headgakset....or maybe thermostat? So i get back from work yesterday and pour MORE coolant in....and then a notice a little puddle on the ground...i think it started spraying out of the hose that goes from my radiator to the reservoir because it was over heating. So then i turned of the car and haven't drove the car since. Popped my hood to check my dipstick...everything looks fine...then i unscrew my oil cap...looks like a milky liquid all over the oil cap...so now im almost 100% that its my headgakset.

Now if it is the headgasket and it needs to be replaced thats fine...i just hope it didn't harm anything else? I haven't driven the car since...and when i did have the car running (only for three days after the tune) i may have gotten on it once or twice after i left the shop from getting the tune. Other then that since it was over heating and i kept needing to pour coolant in...i didn't even think twice about getting on the car...just drove it normal.

Some people over at ephatch say that i will need a complete re-build....but i really hope not? Thats why im here...i know there is a lot of people on here that know their stuff about k20's and cars in general. For people that have blown a headgasket...did you harm anything else inside the head? Do you think i need a complete re-build? The car was only driven THREE days from the time i left the shop so im hoping that i didn't hurt anything else...

Please get back to me guys...i know this is a lot to read..but i honestly do appreciate it!:up:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, I would drop the oil first and see if its milky. If it is, do not drive it anymore. Tow it to where it will be fixed. You will not need to rebuild.. Worst case scenerio is you warped the head. You will just need to mill a few thousands till its straight. Also if you do not noticed a puddle of coolant under you car, and you say it is very low after a few days after filling it up. Usually means coolant is going into ur motor .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I would drop the oil first and see if its milky. If it is, do not drive it anymore. Tow it to where it will be fixed. You will not need to rebuild.. Worst case scenerio is you warped the head. You will just need to mill a few thousands till its straight. Also if you do not noticed a puddle of coolant under you car, and you say it is very low after a few days after filling it up. Usually means coolant is going into ur motor .
If coolant was going into my motor wouldn't i see it all over the dip stick? I looked at my oil cap and it has some condenstation along with the head but thats probably because of the breather filter im running correct?

All i know is the car isn't holding coolant and smoke is coming out of my exhaust. the dip stick looks fine...but the oil cap and inside the head i see some condensation.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would drop the oil, to confirm 100%. that will give you alot more info than just "trying" to check things out through dipstick and oil cap. IMO. If the oil is clean just like how u poured it into the motor, then look for a leak somewhere

·
Registered
605 Posts
go to NAPA get a block test kit and it will tell you if you do have a blown headgasket its like $50. if so get the head checked to see if its warped get it milled if it is and buy a oem headgasket i had nothing but problem out of cometic headgaskets for k-series.

·
Registered
366 Posts
go to NAPA get a block test kit and it will tell you if you do have a blown headgasket its like $50. if so get the head checked to see if its warped get it milled if it is and buy a oem headgasket i had nothing but problem out of cometic headgaskets for k-series.
word....i blew my headgasket twice already...i hate cometic headgaskets..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Too much head bolt torque can cause the head's deck surface to warp due to the relatively thin deck thickness on the Honda K series heads. We CNC a 1mm (wide) groove around each chamber that's .034" deep and install .040" dead-soft copper O-ring to permanently "fix" the problem on all the high compression NA and FI heads we do.

·
Premium Member
44,711 Posts
Too much head bolt torque can cause the head's deck surface to warp due to the relatively thin deck thickness on the Honda K series heads. We CNC a 1mm (wide) groove around each chamber that's .034" deep and install .040" dead-soft copper O-ring to permanently "fix" the problem on all the high compression NA and FI heads we do.
Can that feature be added to your cnc'd heads?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like a thermostat problem. Have you checked the thermostat? What about bleed the coolant (run the car with the radiator cap open, keep filling it up until fan goes on like twice or so)?

The condensation on the oil cap is probably because you overheated.

Worse case scenario is to remove the head to replace the headgasket and mill the head (do a valve job/valve train while you're at it)

·
Registered
622 Posts
the condensation on the oil cap is very common when running e85 because it burns a lot cooler.As for the headgasket if its not getting into your oil it might be getting into your cylinders and burning off.One way to tell is pull out all of your spark plugs and then crank the motor over.If its getting into your cylinders then water will shoot out of the spark plug holes.Doesnt sound like you damaged anything and if the temp gauge only went up to half way i doubt that is hot enough to warp the head.But just dont drive it again and get it towed to where ever it will be fixed

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the condensation on the oil cap is very common when running e85 because it burns a lot cooler.As for the headgasket if its not getting into your oil it might be getting into your cylinders and burning off.One way to tell is pull out all of your spark plugs and then crank the motor over.If its getting into your cylinders then water will shoot out of the spark plug holes.Doesnt sound like you damaged anything and if the temp gauge only went up to half way i doubt that is hot enough to warp the head.But just dont drive it again and get it towed to where ever it will be fixed
Yah i definitely haven't driven it since. I had the car towed up to the shop the other day. Hes going to do a compression test & leak down test then go from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts