Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 2000 civic ex with a k20a2 swap. The car was working fine before it started blowing fuses. However now when i try to start the car the fuel pump isnt priming and the check engine light doesnt come on. When i replace the fuse the car will start like normal however when i try to put it in gear and drive the car the fuse will blow again and the power will shut off. I believe its blowing the fuse labeled alternator sensor sp. Could the sensor be the reason the fuel pump isnt priming and car isnt starting? Im a newb at wiring and really dont have much experience, any insight/advice is much appreciated.
-Nate

·
Registered
563 Posts
i would try replacing the Alt if you can get a spare one, but it sounds like your wiring is grounding somewhere. I'm sure others that no more about this will chime in.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
is there any bare wire near the alternator?

also now you have to find what the fuse powers... You could also have something back feeding because of a loose ground at the pump or alternator..

I'll have to look up wiring diagrams to see what else that fuse goes to

EDIT: this could be in your pnp harness as this fuse also goes to the cluster, vss, o2 sensors and alternator

so you can try a wiggle test... sounds kinda simple and it is but will drive you crazy! You need to find a circuit breaker or a lot of 7.5A fuses, dont use a bigger fuse it could damage the wiring! Just wiggel the wiring around the alternator check fuse, check at 1 side of pnp harness, check fuse and so on!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
check ur wires make sure there not touching any where i had tht problem make out 1 wire was touching ground

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
its absolutely a dead short , no doubt about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a lot guys i appreciate the quick responses... yea this wiring game is a headache but im determined to get it fixed. tomorrows task at hand work and then find the wire thats grounding out.

·
Pepsi Soprano
1,365 Posts
try the wire harness that runs from your starter and alt make sure the wires are not touching the heater pipe that comes from the water pump/neck.
believe it or not the heat grounds it out happened to me last tuesday i was stuck for 4 in the cross bronx, I95 .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rookiepains I think you may have pin pointed the problem because after I replace the fuse the car will start and run for a while until it heats up then when I try to drive it the fuse blows... thanks for the responses I'm gonna check out that harness

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this morning i had some free time and i attempted to fix the problem. I pulled the alternator wire harness away from the water pump neck which it was touching and zip tied it away i also heat wrapped the water pump neck to keep temps down. When i replaced the fuse the car started up like normal i had it sit in the driveway running for about 20min then i drove the car down the block where it blew the fuse again. Im out of ideas... could it be a bad alternator? please help

·
Registered
457 Posts
im not really sure on the amperage in the original cirucuit for the civic, but i would probably replace it with the fuse used in the original car the swap came from(rsx-s). but then the wiring size is gonna be different maybe... or maybe the amount of amperage doesnt even vary that much and the stock wiring harness will do fine. try what rywire said. up the amperage JUST 5 AMPS and NO MORE! too high will equal lots of smoke and melted wires... see what that does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts