Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:wave: Greetings K20a.org! Ive been lurking hard on these pages for a couple years now and never really thought id have a build of my own to post on here. Going K was kind of a far fetched dream for me, but my fascination with the swap and its potential in my chassis kept me reading through tons of threads on here. Ive driven hondas pretty much since i got my liscence and always loved the integra so eventually i got my hands on a 01 gsr. I managed to find a single owner that was garaged kept for most of its life and overall in pretty clean condition. Thats not to say it was perfect. I wish i had taken a bunch of pics the day i purchased it cause it was pretty bad. Horribly bent chrome 17s, altezza tails, cheap halo projectors, improperly installed ebay short shifter, and a skunk2 70mm exhaust cannon were the "mods" at that point. Looked like something straight from the early 2000s. not to mention the windshield was cracked, there were initials carved into the front bumper and the motor burned "a little" oil. luckily the guy kept all the oem parts he replaced in boxes in his garage since like 2002 so they were all mint. The first thing i did was throw all of that back on and returned it to its oem state like it belonged. Soon after i grabbed a koni/ gc setup with some function 7 lcas and swaybar, tanabe touring medalion exhaust to help my ears, and a k tuned b series shifter to tighten that mess up.

IMG_9893 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_9888 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_0179 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_0917 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_9769 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_9763 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_9755 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_0931 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_0927 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

Along with a few other little trinkets like a mishimoto rad to replace the leaking stock one, window visors, and spoon rearview, it stayed mostly stock while i debated what to do about the aging and slowly deteriorating block internals. I grabbed a header for a crackhead price one day and threw it on cause i wanted something that looked better that the rusty and cracked manifold lol...

IMG_0634 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

and literally the next day as i was driving to work the motor starts misfiring and shaking like crazy. I limped the poor thing to work and home that day on only 3 cylinders and its been chilling in my garage ever since. Compression test showed 200 psi across the board with the exception of cylinder 2 which was at dead 0 :thud: . to this day It still fires right up and chugs on 3 cylinders. I havent ripped the motor out and cracked it open yet so i can only speculate on the damage. Soooo given that turn of events i chose to go out and buy another daily...

IMG_9391 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_2151 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1700 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

I found a bone stock 98 ej8 in decent shape with no rust and threw some rice at it lol. I debated for a long time about what i was gonna do about the poor b18c1. I went back and forth between a stock rebuild, straight itr swap, high compression all motor rebuild, b20vtec blah blah blah. I eventually said screw it and went out and bought one of these!

IMG_9502 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_9494 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

And one of these..

IMG_9474 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_9472 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
06 k24a2 and 08 z3 trans both with roughly 70k. wasnt really hyped on the mileage of the motor or trans but oh well. when i placed a deposit on the motor with the salvage yard i purchased from, they told me they had one with 50k from an 08 auto. when i get there and i see a clutch still attached to the flywheel i was like wait a minute. So i ran the vin real quick on my phone to discover its an entirely dif motor than the one they told me they had with a few more miles. I was pretty heated but since i rented a truck to make the 4 hour round trip to pick this thing up i was kinda forced to take it anyway. I did a leak down on it when i got home and the results seemed fine. there seemed to be a little pressure escaping through the intake side so ill be replacing the valve seals before it gets fired up and keeping my fingers crossed its healthy otherwise.
I had planned on getting the most expensive components like kpro, harness, mounts, header, all knocked out first. Of course i ended up throwing some money at the daily on some little cosmetic things, but i did end up ordering one of these...

IMG_0113 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_01211 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_0109 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

Wireworx stg 1 engine and conversion harness with separate charge harness. These guys did a killer job on this thing it looks really well done, not to mention theyre customer service is exceptional. They answered every dumbass question i had and i had a few. I even started to bug out a little when my order took a couple weeks longer to complete due to the holiday season and them being in the middle of changing facilities, and they returned my rude impatience with nothing but perfectly friendly apologies. two thumbs up to those guys!!

·
duct tape and zip ties
9,155 Posts
:up:
Looks like a good start!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:up:
Looks like a good start!
thanks! i have loooong way to go and no choice but to take it slow since ill be working on a budget here. my goal for this car is to just have a simple, clean street car that is fun to drive on the back roads around me. Ill be keeping the longblock stock for now and see what kind of power i get out of a simple bolt on setup. No baller show car or track monster, just something that i can take out and enjoy everyday. I debated on getting my b18c1 rebuilt to stock specs to get the integra running again and then piecing a swap for my civic, but i really love my dc2 and its an all around nicer car than my coupe so i felt it was more deserving of a K. Thats also the reason i chose to go with the k24a2 over the k20z1 was for the extra torque to compensate for the added couple hundred pounds the dc2 has over the ej8. I am still planning to get the b18 rebuilt to find a new home in the civic but im in no rush for that given the fact that the little d16 runs pretty solid, and should get me around daily untill the k swap is done. Its just so painfully slow. i want torque now! :frage:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
While i was bored saving money for parts, and the weather was getting warmer, i thought itd be a good idea to play with paint.

took a wire wheel to the trans. there was a pretty good amount of crust.

IMG_0102 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_0097 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1506 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1512 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1516 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1533 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

Did the same with the block

IMG_1526 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1540 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1542 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1547 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

random pic just cause

IMG_1545 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1549 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1550 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1564 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1585 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

the wrinkle black came out a little uneven and weird but oh well it was just an experiment out of boredom.

GSR waiting for its new heart

IMG_1588 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_1693 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice pick up on the new daily man, thumbs up. also some nice progress so far. forget baller status man, slow and steady wins the race:nod:
Looking good so far man. Looks like itll be a quality build. Keep it up and keep shootin!
thanks for the encouragement guys! id like to get myself a decently fast prime to make it easier to shoot indoors but until then im just using a t3i with a piece of crap kit lens. a little better than cell phone pics i guess

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,674 Posts
I like your project...chassis and aggregate (engine and gear box) seems to be well choosen :D
06 k24a2 and 08 z3 trans both with roughly 70k. wasnt really hyped on the mileage of the motor or trans but oh well. when i placed a deposit on the motor with the salvage yard i purchased from, they told me they had one with 50k from an 08 auto.
Anything planed despite cosmetic or must have things like abillity to tune the calibration?
Wireworx stg 1 engine and conversion harness with separate charge harness. These guys did a killer job on this thing it looks really well done, not to mention theyre customer service is exceptional. They answered every dumbass question i had and i had a few. I even started to bug out a little when my order took a couple weeks longer to complete due to the holiday season and them being in the middle of changing facilities, and they returned my rude impatience with nothing but perfectly friendly apologies. two thumbs up to those guys!!
Well appreciated story about Wireworx, as I am on the way to order a new harness due to lead fracture issues of the actual one. Thanks :up:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
off to a good start.. subscribing since i am a integra owner as well :new_slayer:
I like your project...chassis and aggregate (engine and gear box) seems to be well choosen :D

Anything planed despite cosmetic or must have things like abillity to tune the calibration?

Well appreciated story about Wireworx, as I am on the way to order a new harness due to lead fracture issues of the actual one. Thanks :up:
Nice build so far!!!
thanks guys for the kind words! i didnt think anyone was looking at this. My plans are mostly based around my budget and lack of experience with this swap. im going for a pretty simple setup first to get this thing running and enjoy it for a while with the longblock in stock form. itll feel pretty fast to me coming from slow stock cars. my overall setup will most likely consist of an rbc manifold, ktuned 80mm tb, and rdx injectors. ive been leaning towards one of the k tuned swap headers for convenience and cost sake. k pro v4 will take care of the management. ive been considering using the 70mm piping from the skunk 2 megapower catback that came on the car when purchased and modifying the axleback to fit a ktuned or vibrant muffler. would there be a significant decrease in performance between 70mm and a full 3" setup from kteller or someting?

anyway, havent made much progress on parts stacking but i started to pull the b out of the integra lastnight. only messed with it for a couple hours before i needed to crash to get a few hours sleep before work this morning.

IMG_2661 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_2655 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_2660 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

i want to get this thing out and see whats going on inside. ill hopefully have it off to a machine shop in the near future and once i get it back ill reassemble and get it into my civic. i was planning on waiting to swap that till after the k was in the integra but i cant stand how slow the d series is anymore lol. im just going for a full oem rebuild with that for reliability sake and not have to spend more money on a tune. nothing fancy

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
been slowly chipping away at things. got the B out and completely broken down and just dropped off at the machine shop today. Ive been trying to get that thing put back together and into the civic asap but the machine shop is apparently super behind and wont even be able to touch my stuff for another 3-4 weeks. oh well. I still need to gather a bunch of oem parts to put the thing back together so the wait isnt really a big deal. in the meantime ive been taking advantage of having an empty engine bay and have been working on tucking some wires and deleting some crap i dont care about lol.
messy looking bay...

IMG_2939 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

tucked this side harness

IMG_3108 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_3102 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_3104 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

ugly mess over here

IMG_3110 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

peace to the abs mess

IMG_3614 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

00 Si prop valve

IMG_3623 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

much better

IMG_3626 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_3629 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

crazy how much of a difference removing a few things makes

IMG_3616 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

as you can see i chose to remove the charcoal canister as well as the metal vent tube that runs back to the valve by the tank. for everyone else that has done this same thing, i have a stupid question. am i creating any possible problems by disconnecting the vent tube from the quick connect fitting by the tank and just zip tying the remaining flexible tube up to keep it from dangling? the valve from the tank is still in place, i only just disconnected the metal tube and removed it from underneath the car to avoid venting vapors up front. Im sure its a no brainer but if anyone actually reads this and has any advice let me know. next ill be attempting to reroute the passenger side harness that is now just dangling over the side of the bay. also im going to attempt to paint this just for the hell of it.

IMG_3588 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_3602 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_3607 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

ive been wanting one of these for a couple years lol and i finally came across one locally for cheap. its not in perfect shape but with a little love itll look good as new

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking good so far man. Nice shots, keep em coming...
give the masses more.:new_slayer:
Love the build so far!! Can't wait to see it done.
Thanks guys! I wish i could make faster progress on this thing but working on two projects with a budget has me moving slloooooww lol. I was supposed to get the RS brake lines in the mail today but theyre still in transit somewhere. then i have all the oem parts to buy for the b series rebuild along with some mounts and a radiator to buy for the transplant into the civic. Im keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the shop to call me back and let me know whether the guides and the cylinder walls are good. Im not really trying to put that much money into it but i do want it to be solid so we'll see. once thats all said and done im full on focused on the K. I ran back to the shop today to drop off my pistons for the old man to mic and it was pretty cool seeing the old heads at the shop working on an old 60's nova with an 1100 hp supercharged small block. the exterior was fully restored gorgeous show quality and i was like "hey do you mind if i take a couple pics of that thing?" he was like "sure here ill pop the hood for you" i was like :fuuu: I got this 1.8l honda doe lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally received my brake lines today two days late after usps sent them to the wrong town lol. At least they showed up. Threw them on in about ten minutes piece of cake install.

IMG_4108 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_4105 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_4102 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_4098 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

Oem fitment ftw. still havent bled yet ill wait till my girl gets home to pump for me. I know shell be thrilled.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts