Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have wilwood bbk on my car and im getting more into drag racing as my build goes on. i have realized that the only tire i will be able to run is a bfg 205/40/17 drag radial. we use to use thes tires on 15s back in the day. with my k24/k20 mild setup i dont think they will be enough. any other ideas? otherwise i might have to trade my brakes for some welds...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I'm trying to get out of this is.... Does anyone know of any other solutions? Like maybe a 16"slick setup?? Or better radials than bfg's.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used to had NSX caliper with 282mm disc , I ran 15x7 wheels with 22x8x15 slicks . And after I switch to 13x8 wheels with 24.5x8x13 slicks I ran faster. I did downgrade my brake set up to 242mm disc and a stock Civic caliper.

Worth it!

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I used to had NSX caliper with 282mm disc , I ran 15x7 wheels with 22x8x15 slicks . And after I switch to 13x8 wheels with 24.5x8x13 slicks I ran faster. I did downgrade my brake set up to 242mm disc and a stock Civic caliper.

Worth it!
good info :thumbup:

main thing stopping me from upgrading to bigger brakes is my stock GSRs barely fit behind my lensos as is, so that means in order to get them I'd have to get bigger wheels for the slicks (15"+)

my buddy with 5-lug and NSX calipers had the same problem trying to get slicks to try out at the track and was about to mount them on some oem ITR wheels. Instead he borrowed some rotas (5zigen fno1rc replicas) from a DSM guy with 24.5" slicks and cleared/worked fine

i mean a lot of people prefer 15" wheels over 13" for 26" slicks on big horsepower cars for more "stability" top end...or so I've heard...so there are definitely qualified wheels that will clear the calipers

guess the real question is why do you need big brakes when drag racing...
figure big brakes are more beneficial and necessary for auto-x, road racing in which you'd never need drag slicks or that small of wheel that won't fit...

thats the question/dilemna I'm dealing with...does getting bigger brakes means retiring my car from the strip, or trying to make it work for both types of tracks/racing....(selling the lensos and slicks could help fund a BBK which is another thing to consider)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats some good info guys, thanks. do you know what size and offset the wheels are that the dsm guy had?
i think we have the same dilemma....i don't wanna get rid of my big brakes, i like them and i want to use them for track days. the original plan for the car was just a quick street car to use on track days but know im thinking i want to take the car to the strip A LOT more. if i cant get traction w/bfg dr's, i will get rid of them for some welds and m/t's i guess.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
thats some good info guys, thanks. do you know what size and offset the wheels are that the dsm guy had?
i think we have the same dilemma....i don't wanna get rid of my big brakes, i like them and i want to use them for track days. the original plan for the car was just a quick street car to use on track days but know im thinking i want to take the car to the strip A LOT more. if i cant get traction w/bfg dr's, i will get rid of them for some welds and m/t's i guess.
The only thing I see being the problem is the small sidewall on the 17's. We've all seen 1.6s on Bfg's Drs i've cut high 1.8s with horrible a alignment in both 205/50-15 and 225/50/15.

·
Registered
294 Posts
quick question will a 24.5x8x13 slick fit over gsr calipers??

·
Registered
294 Posts
ok sweet thanks for the info man... just thought of tht in the middle of re-building some gsr knuckles lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts