Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that the 5 speed is better for a turbo car. But would a 6 speed be better for a turbo road course car? I have been finding the 6 speed trans for around $700-900 shipped. And I also hear that the 5 speed trans is considerabilly alot cheaper. Any input would be great. I am new to the whole K-series world.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
5spd is better for turbo since you wont have to shift so soon. 6spd..... Well..that speaks for itself... It's 6 gears... It's just to say you have 6 gears...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I plan on doing a lot of road racing with my car next year. Anybody here road race with a 6 speed and then changed to a 5 speed?

What is the better of all of the 5 speeds to aquire?

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
EP3 si 5spd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of the shifter boxes are the same from the RSX. You can use it with a 5 speed or the 6 speed transmission. And the same goes for the cables as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
All of the shifter boxes are the same from the RSX. You can use it with a 5 speed or the 6 speed transmission. And the same goes for the cables as well.
cool thanks.what ecu would u have to run with the 5 speed ?can u use a 6 speed ecu for a 5 speed.and what harnss ?it should not matter just wanna check.thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
Well if you should have Kpro and if you do, then it doesnt matter.. The 5spd ECU doesnt have the reverse lockout feature but that is not a big deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well if you should have Kpro and if you do, then it doesnt matter.. The 5spd ECU doesnt have the reverse lockout feature but that is not a big deal.
nice thanks and so it will not matter what harness then right as long at it for a 5 or 6speed tranny and not a drive by wire harness?

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
nice thanks and so it will not matter what harness then right as long at it for a 5 or 6speed tranny and not a drive by wire harness?
Correct

·
Registered
363 Posts
I picked up a 5 speed last night out of an 05 Civic Si what needs to be done for it to work with my 06 RSX Type S if anything??
06 S speed sensor is high frequency type. Your Si tranny is a low frequency type. Your transmission output speed signal frequency needs to be changed to a high frequency type for your gauges to work right. This involves drilling a hole in the front of the case to accept the speed sensor. Or you can swap cases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.hondata.com/techk20transmissions.html

·
Registered
363 Posts
what if you change the gearing in the 6speed type s would that work well and what gears would you cange
Yes, that would work fine if you're willing to go through the trouble. To keep the 6 speed for a turbo setup, the first thing you should do is change the final drive to 4.3 or 4.0(4.0 would be the most ideal). If you wanted to get crazy, you could use the EP3 tranny's 1st gear because its taller. This is just from things I've read, I'm too broke to buy all these parts myself at this point. So take it for what its worth.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
what if you change the gearing in the 6speed type s would that work well and what gears would you cange
Well if you are going to do that then it doesn't matter which tranny are you going to get. Check out the table...

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6395

The NHR3 tranny is the ideal one for turbo.. However if you want to get custom and change the gears to something you had in mind based on the table, by all means, go ahead...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts