Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up peoples I've been doing my homework but i can't really figure out which brand or type of coilovers to put on my DC2????

I've got a DC2 with a kswap i use the car as my dd so i really want something that can handle street use! I kinda don't care about how stiff or soft the ride is! I just want launching and cornering to feel right. Price on coilover I'm looking around mid to high mid prices. What would you guys get, got, or want?????:cool:

·
Registered
749 Posts
If money is not a problem then Mugen or Ohlins! Other then those a few recommendations are (in no particular order)

Tien Flex w/ EDFC (If you like) $2000~
Buddy Club Racing Spec dampers $1200-$1500

Bang for your Buck most K20a.org users will suggest the Koni/GC (Ground Control) Shock/Spring package w/ Pillow-ball Mounts which I think will run you around $900.

p.s. I just threw a few suggestions out there. Really & truly there are probably 10+ options for Suspension you could consider and everyone will have their own Opinion about each of them. In the end, I would just go with something "Tried & True" and never look back.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'd go with the BC Racing coilovers. There are tons of huge brand name damper makes out there but will you REALLY need a $3000 set of dampers?? Exlecent contruction, fit and finish is great, great customer support as well as a large racing history to prove it. Most of the dampers go for around $1250.

I've have had many different damper setups and BC gets my vote best so far.

:up:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
My DC2 came with Teins and they ride nice, but the ones I have aren't stiff enough for drag racing. They have quite a selection to match everyone's needs, though.

OmniPower and D2 are other ones I have driven and they are better than my Tokicos/Ground Control (imo). OmniPower drag springs are my favorite for racing, but I have never gotten used to driving those springs on the street.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but like i said earlier i don't really care about comfort in ride, the car shakes like hell, no PS, no ac! I mean how much worse can my ride be a little more stiff? All I'm looking for is when I'm pushing the car it turns when i turn and not to stay spinning as much when i launch(Traction Bars Soon) .

TypeOne said:

Those are the ones I'm kinda leaning toward for the moment, Hybrid are the only distributors right??

·
Registered
14,748 Posts
TypeOne said:
I'd go with the BC Racing coilovers. There are tons of huge brand name damper makes out there but will you REALLY need a $3000 set of dampers?? Exlecent contruction, fit and finish is great, great customer support as well as a large racing history to prove it. Most of the dampers go for around $1250.

Don't you have PIC in your car? How'd do you like them?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
drhonda said:
Don't you have PIC in your car? How'd do you like them?
PIC dampers are very nice as well. Good spring rates and good construction, I just wish they had a tad bit more adjustment ability.

If I choose to keep my car, I will most likely be switching out to a set of BC dampers. We are running them on our shop race car right now. :up:

·
Registered
211 Posts
anyone have ohlins? I know where I can get a set but I want to make sure i'm not just paying for a name.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Everyone will have their opinion on the best overall coilover. Me personally, i like my HKS Hipermax II's compared to my old Tein Flex on my integra. But thats just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
39,470 Posts
for the price there is nothin that comes close to gc/koni..
some will argue that u can spend twice the amount of what gc/koni costs and u still wont come out with the handling satisfaction that gc/koni will give u...

u can order any spring rates on the gc's for the same price as off the shelf not to mention they both carry lifetime warranty and koni's are revalved here in the US!

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have d2 suspension and juss put stiffer springs on them! they launch perfect and they cheap! MB racing offers a great deal on them wen u buy the suspension and the lca! i chose them over the omni power as long as they have the stiffer springs! juss my opinion!

·
Registered
749 Posts
EconoBox said:
anyone have ohlins? I know where I can get a set but I want to make sure i'm not just paying for a name.
Ohlins are from the UK - and you will probably be paying for the name. Their suspensions are Top of the line but an alternative may need to be considered - we are talking about paying upwards of $2500 for Coilovers here..

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have koni race shocks and ground control sleeves with 700/600Lbs springs rides really good ....i wish i could put pillow ball mounts in the front though

·
Banned
472 Posts
Blazed said:
for the price there is nothin that comes close to gc/koni..
some will argue that u can spend twice the amount of what gc/koni costs and u still wont come out with the handling satisfaction that gc/koni will give u...

u can order any spring rates on the gc's for the same price as off the shelf not to mention they both carry lifetime warranty and koni's are revalved here in the US!
i miss my koni's on gc's. i was spoiled with the way the car drove.
and when i wanted stiffer springs i just ordered them from gc or found some used cheap from someone on h-t. i wasn't afraid of my shocks blowing either because of the fact that koni's are revalved here in the US.

when your ohlins, tein, or zeal coilovers/suspension needs to be revalved, think of the wait and hassle you're going to have to go through.

lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
well I found a set of ohlins for an ITR with about 25k miles (i think around 63k km) on them for around $1000. I have an R6 so i'm a witness to Öhlins' potential. I'm going to look for another brand but it's something to cosider.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts