Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find definitive answers on whether it would be worthwhile switching the 25 degree gear for the 45, obviously followed by dyno tuning.

K24A3 11:1 NPR piston, custom 2" intake runners, Custom Header, 2.5" exhaust. KTuner.

Also, looking for a good guide for installing said gear, without removing the front cover, since I would have to remove the drivetrain for that to happen.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,758 Posts
Trying to find definitive answers on whether it would be worthwhile switching the 25 degree gear for the 45, obviously followed by dyno tuning.

K24A3 11:1 NPR piston, custom 2" intake runners, Custom Header, 2.5" exhaust. KTuner.

Also, looking for a good guide for installing said gear, without removing the front cover, since I would have to remove the drivetrain for that to happen.
Definitly worth it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a 50 degree wheel & the tractuff 40 degree stop. Still can't find a good in-car gear replacement guide. Should have just done this when I had the engine apart :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can you get to the timing chain tensioner cover with the engine in the car? As long as you can get to it and have room to pull the valve cover you should be able to do it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have room to remove the VC & get the cam gear bolt out, and access the tensioner cover - just not room to remove the timing cover

So basically find a cam removal guide & go with those directions?

EDIT: two videos :

I find most all videos annoying, either they talk to much, put their hands in the way or play obnoxious music. Seems pretty straightforward, just have to make sure to strap the chain tight

·
Registered
141 Posts
What I would recommend doing is pulling the tensioner cover plate and sticking a pin in it to keep it locked. Then you can do whatever you want up top and not have to worry about keeping the chain tight.

I can't find it now but I remember seeing someone's post about replacing the camshafts without pinning the tensioner. During install the tensioner ended up expanding a notch or two when there was a little slack in the chain. This made the chain extremely tight once the camshafts were back in. It ended up destroying the head.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I would recommend doing is pulling the tensioner cover plate and sticking a pin in it to keep it locked. Then you can do whatever you want up top and not have to worry about keeping the chain tight.

I can't find it now but I remember seeing someone's post about replacing the camshafts without pinning the tensioner. During install the tensioner ended up expanding a notch or two when there was a little slack in the chain. This made the chain extremely tight once the camshafts were back in. It ended up destroying the head.
Yeah, I won't do it without pinning the tensioner. I have the pin that came with the tensioner when I built the motor, so I'll use that. I didn't realize that would stop the chain dropping off the crank though - that makes it a little less worrisome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't realize that would stop the chain dropping off the crank though
Well, not necessarily. Pinning the tensioner just prevents it from expanding when the chain is loose while the camshaft/VTC gear is removed. The chain cannot fall completely into the pan though because of the chain cover, you'll see when you get there. The chain may come off the crankshaft gear but should go back on okay when pulled tight.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - I'm just going to plan on the tie-wrap and/or bungee on the chain routine :)

Well, not necessarily. Pinning the tensioner just prevents it from expanding when the chain is loose while the camshaft/VTC gear is removed. The chain cannot fall completely into the pan though because of the chain cover, you'll see when you get there. The chain may come off the crankshaft gear but should go back on okay when pulled tight.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That works. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out, you seem more than capable.
Thanks - the only reason for my concern is removing the main cover with the engine in the bay is impossible - don't want to lose a couple days by having to drop the drivetrain again :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hussein, anything New on the KTuner front?
Hey. Sorry for not responding. No luck with external viewing of files on unregistered setups, in other words they won't authorize software for use or even playback of logs on a device not associated with an end-user ECU.

Not sure what to do.

I resolved the Cam Angle situation - my main problem is actually the idle - I cannot for the life of me get the IACV to operate - either it's wide open, or I have to block the ports, which is fine when the engine is warm, but not so much for cold start/warmup cycle.

I've tried two IACV, so I don't think it's hardware. Just don't know what I could change in the software that would fix it. There are warm up / idle tables, but they don't seem to be making any difference.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the idle parameters there is: idle speed, disable idle valve, idle valve duty cycle adjustment. All will affect engine idle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RSX 50º used PND gear came yesterday, and the TracTuff (-)10º limiter - which will stop it going over 40º no matter what. Curious what the difference between the early PND & later RBC gears are, I'm assuming perhaps the rotary seal compound? No reason to change the metals used...

Back together, hopefully today I'll get it installed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed the cam gear today. Took hours, as I really, really did not want to risk dropping the chain off the crank gear.

TDC

[IMG]

[IMG]

Remove tensioner cover, then rotate CCW, lock tensioner, rotate back to TDC marker

[IMG]

Removed all the cam caps

[IMG]

chain tie-wrapped on either side to prevent it dropping

[IMG]

[IMG]

Also secured in the middle as per various videos, however this makes no sense, as with it tensioned from above, you can't get the chain off the gear :D

[IMG]

Ditched the brace & center strap.

Very fiddly getting the chain off the gear, then getting the cam and gear out of the head. No pics. Transferred PND gear, torqued to 83ft/lb, reinstalled into head. Made sure dots in gears aligned with marker lines I made on chain.

[IMG]

Rotated a couple revolutions and checked all markers again

[IMG]

[IMG]

Had to redo the OP sender channel - I had made it for 1/8" NPT port, but the correct sender I have is actually M14x1.5, so I redrilled & tapped it & installed the correct sender

[IMG]

All back together

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,758 Posts
Hey. Sorry for not responding. No luck with external viewing of files on unregistered setups, in other words they won't authorize software for use or even playback of logs on a device not associated with an end-user ECU.
No problem. Unfortunately KTuner is pretty restrictive on that, a not good marketing decision by KTuner, selling a pig in a poke...hmmm?!

Good to see you went chain drop-less through the TracTuff-Pin add! How does it run now?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem. Unfortunately KTuner is pretty restrictive on that, a not good marketing decision by KTuner, selling a pig in a poke...hmmm?!

Good to see you went chain drop-less through the TracTuff-Pin add! How does it run now?
Didn't run it yet, I need to upload the revised VTC maps, and wait for the rain / snow to go away before I take it outside to run it :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts