Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basic questions regarding gauge (size) & soldering connections & HID constant power

I have a few wiring projects I need to take on. I have 2 aftermarket gauges (defi link & 4egt) & two fog light switches that need to be wired for the following connections

-power
-ignition
-illumination
-ground

what is the best way to tap 4 or 5 sets of the above wires (16-20 total) to my climate control wires? I was told I can tap the ignition & power together & units will turn on when the car is actually started compared to just turned on.

should I solder all the connections at one point (4 or 5 into 1) OR make multiple "T" connections them like 4-2-1 into 1:

(4 individual wires)
...I.I....I.I
....T.....T
......I..I
.......T
====[]=====> wire to climate cluster

what gauge wire should I use id there a big difference between 16ga & 18ga? is the thicker one ok? should I use 18ga & go to a 16ga after merging wires?

also I have 4 hid ballast that need to be wired to the battery for constant power. what gauge should I use? can I merge them 4-2-1 & run one wire to the battery?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: basic questions regarding gauge (size) & soldering connections & HID constant pow

The lower the number the larger the wire i.e. 18 is smaller than 16 etc etc etc. 16 guage is more than enought to run a few guages, there will be some people on here that will try and say you need something bigger, but there is no real current draw from those guages so 14 or 16 will be more than sufficient. Solder is always the best choice, however crimp connection will work just fine and be much quicker.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: basic questions regarding gauge (size) & soldering connections & HID constant pow

thanks but what about 4 wires into 1

should i do
a.)4-2-1 connection
b.)4-3-2-1 connection
c,)4-1 connection

are there any unused pins on eg's harnesses that I pin into - instead of tapping into a current wire?

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

well after doing more research found I can tap the optional power pins on the under-the-dash fusebox. Note only the ilumination/dash lights are tied to a fuse - so inline fuses must be used for all the others

I left out the wiring for the hid headlights - as I have a PnP harness which will draw power directly from the battery

-I will be wiring an oem fog switch to the front driving lights
-a 2nd oem fog switch will be used for the rear fog light

here is what I came up with

·
Registered
354 Posts

thats some crazy wireing...good diagram though!!!

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thats some crazy wireing...good diagram though!!!
:down: you should spend more time reading the last page of the scammer thread in the FS forum :down:

man up & pay the people you ripped off back

·
Registered
535 Posts

:down: you should spend more time reading the last page of the scammer thread in the FS forum :down:

man up & pay the people you ripped off back
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts