Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find what the spec is for the TB base setting. I'm used to Volvo's where 1/4 turn off the stop is the norm, so that's how I set this one..

The problem is I have an idle of about 1800rpm after the initial startup high-idle.

There is an additional problem where the AFR's are super rich (10-11) - I installed RDX injectors & set the new sizing and dead time selection in the settings for that.

I'm going to try reverting to the stock injector settings just to see if it fixes the super-rich condition, not expectign that to alter the high idle though.

Any suggestions?

idle stop not so accessible...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured out the TPS problem. The K-Tuned TB TPS mount bracket was set in the wrong orientation for the TPS, and was holding the TPS @ 26% when throttle plate is closed. I removed & redrilled the bracket to allow repositioning of the TPS. I hooked it up to K-Tuner so I could see the %, and repositioned the TPS accordingly.

Still have the idle surge/AFR sweep issue. Not sure where to go with diagnosing that aspect :(

reset to 0% after this pic - set so % increases the moment the plate is moved off the base stop.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
Thanks for replying your found solution HussianHolland! Just a side note, I had to modify all K-Tuned parts: the water plate surface and collant pipe diameter, the pulley position of the water pump delete kit and so on. This company let miss any engineering understanding and quality of production. I paid 3 times more as parts did cost for the correction of those. Seems those guys are great sales guys, but the engineering and construction as well as the quality is reeeeeeally lacking. Their AC&PS delete kit I've ordered I've sold immediately after checking the parts and function. The later observed broken screws verifiy my view of their design.

BTW, what ign. angles do you observe at idle speed?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
There is an additional problem where the AFR's are super rich (10-11) - I installed RDX injectors & set the new sizing and dead time selection in the settings for that.
Are those the RDX injector dead times you've shown above? Those are much to high. For example Hondata suggests 1.092 [email protected] V and 3.49 bar fuel pressure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah - I had to redrill the KTuned water outlet housing to get it to cover the hole in the head

I have 0º at idle, registers opening degrees the moment the throttle is cracked.

Yes, those are the injector dead times set in the software. Do you have a range of replacement values? I know you were looking for this months ago. I have my fuel pressure rail set at 50psi

Still have horrible surge & AFR sweep right after the initial start elevated idle ends

Looks like that chart might have come from here:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I revisited the (K-Tuned) throttle setup, based on suggestions of possible causes. I was able to get the plate better centered in the bore & set to just a crack off closed to prevent the plate sticking when snapped shut. Reset the TPS so it registers 1% as soon as the plate moves off the stop.

Still runs poorly with the Accord base (high idle, rich AFR's), so I tried the custom tune base. The main trim is set at 8 for the 410cc injectors in this tune.

With that, AFR's are better, engine sounds better. Idle is still too high, so I removed the air inlet hose & closed off the IACV port. That dropped the idle to just under 1700, that's an improvement! There are no codes for IACV, so I'm assuming it's just stuck open.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like your iacv has been sticky for a while. Take it off. Clean all the goop out of it till the drum rotates freely again then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like your iacv has been sticky for a while. Take it off. Clean all the goop out of it till the drum rotates freely again then you should be good to go.
Thansk for the input - it's brand new (bought a year ago when I assembled the motor) - never been used before this past week or so when I started the motor for the first time. Since all the ones I see listed are basically the same aftermarket, I assume there is poor quality control. I'm surprised there is no MIL code though, if it's not functioning as it should. I'll take it apart & see if I can see anything obvious. Don't want to buy another similar product until I know it's not a software problem.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
Yeah - I had to redrill the KTuned water outlet housing to get it to cover the hole in the head
Sorry to read that...just another example to the K-Tuned competence.

Do you have a range of replacement values? I know you were looking for this months ago. I have my fuel pressure rail set at 50psi...Still have horrible surge & AFR sweep right after the initial start elevated idle ends
Yes, I can send them today. Just remind me via PM if I didn't sent it till tomorrow. If you like, you can sent me the log and calibration, maybe it is an easy fix or a clear route to go. Ask for email if you like.

Markus

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Markus, I will PM you for your email. Can't hurt to have an experienced set of eyes look it over :)

I found I also have a air leak in the plenum. I removed it yesterday, after blocking off the IACV entirely in the TB, the idle was much better, but still high, so I let it run until warm up cycle was complete and then sprayed around the plenum & TB adaptors with carb cleaner. I found a leak at the right side. Odd, 'cos really couldn't hear it & idle was not rough nor were the AFR's uneven. I also ordered one of the thicker thermal gaskets, to compensate for any slight deviation in the flange surface plane that I can't account for.

I changed just the gasket first, but couldn't see anything wrong with the one I removed

Have to take it back to the machine shop to repair the inner weld between 1& 2

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
Thanks, I got your email. I will analyse it in the evening.

Regarding leakage of the plenum. You can't see every kind of leakage by oscillating idle, as long as the idle speed controller can handle the leakage by the IACV and ign. timing. Just when it is too much off it's capacity to control the situation, than it starts a unstable or stable oscillation.

It's very good you found a leakage source. Small leakages can make idle tuning really tedious and even effortless. A carbon dissolver spray test is a very good approach every time before the start of idle tuning or at the beginning, to get aware of those controller-disturbance-sources before it cost you massive time and effort.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wh
Sorry to read that...just another example to the K-Tuned competence.

Yes, I can send them today. Just remind me via PM if I didn't sent it till tomorrow. If you like, you can sent me the log and calibration, maybe it is an easy fix or a clear route to go. Ask for email if you like.

Markus
What I just realized, based on your injector values, is that I don't know what FP value KTuner assigns to the map. The only option for entry are the latency times, there is no provision for entering FP. I will have to inquire about that - I can 'assume' 50psi/3.45bar, since that is what is recommended, however I do not KNOW that that is the fact of the matter :D

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
What I just realized, based on your injector values, is that I don't know what FP value KTuner assigns to the map. The only option for entry are the latency times, there is no provision for entering FP. I will have to inquire about that - I can 'assume' 50psi/3.45bar, since that is what is recommended, however I do not KNOW that that is the fact of the matter :D
I've tried to enter the KTuner files, but KTuner even don't allow me to register the SW without any "device" (flash device, 700 USD ?). I can't check anything...never saw a tuning software which was not open free up to that point.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you checked the flatness of the gasket surface on that manifold? You've had A LOT of welding done to those runners.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've tried to enter the KTuner files, but KTuner even don't allow me to register the SW without any "device" (flash device, 700 USD ?). I can't check anything...never saw a tuning software which was not open free up to that point.
Hey - sorry for delayed response. I will have to ask if there is a way around that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you checked the flatness of the gasket surface on that manifold? You've had A LOT of welding done to those runners.
Thanks for the input - valid question. Yes, I did true the flange after I did all the fabrication. I planed it again anyway, just to be certain. I made my own gasket from quality gasket 'paper' anyway. Don't like the single layer metal so much. It's all good now.

IACV doesn't work, so unless I block the port in the TB, it idles are 1800rpm :D - no IACV codes though. I would have thought there would be something if it's non-functional. I have voltage in & ground, and signal out. Right now it's removed & disabled in the tune.

Also got a P1009 code, so I need to check out the solenoid. All gaskets were replaced when the motor was built, and of course oil is fresh. Don't know how to diagnose a faulty valve, so I'll swap it out with a new one. I'm not getting on it hard since it's running on a base tune, but with that code it's disabled the VTC, according to the manual

IDLE Map

1 - 16 of 16 Posts