Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pro's con's of removing balancing shafts...

I know the only motors that these really apply to are the prelude motors. But the new K24's have them too. I am thinking about removing them from my motor and putting in the RSX-S oil pump. I have been told this will free up a few more ponies, but I am doing it just to make the motor a little more basic, especially if they are not really needed.

I have read that removing them adds a little more vibration in th cabin, but is there any real harm in doing it?

BTW this car will be used for Road racing and occasional street use...

·
Registered
537 Posts
We removed them from the first k24/20 and put the Rsx oil pump in. Never dynoed the difference lol, but it supposed to free up 3 or 4 horses.

That car raced double duty (my car aint done yet :( ) in autox last year with no ill effects. As for the vibration...any of the new mounts are pretty hardcore and I dont think youll notice the extra shaking.

As a matter of fact on my eg we made some mounts out of mostly oem parts so the car will ride and drive more like stock than a rattle trap. At least thats been my limited experience.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So no noticable extra vibration, and no short term negative effects. I'd say thats a good vote for removing them...

The only things that i have read that are kinda questionable is the long term effect. I think it would be a lot smarter if the rotating assembly was balanced first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.