Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im kinda stuck right now. im not sure wut to put in my hatch right now. my car is a 91 si hatch with a b16a right now. which setup out of the b18c5 block with b16a head or a k20 type s motor will give make me faster. i would go lsvtec or crvtec but i want something more reliable. and im willing to to put down 6 to 7 g's on this project. so which is better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if money aint an issue for you than there's no question.........."K"!!!!!!!ALL DAY.....it'll go 12's right of the bat.....with reliability.....but if money is an issue, i guess a complete r swap would sufice....i'd just save up for a "K" though....

look here's what gonna happen if you go with a r swap....you'll do the swap notice its tons faster than your b16....then you'll get tired of it and do a "K"...you'll wish you would've done it in the first place....or, you'll do the r and get spanked by a "K", and wish you would've done the "K"......

either way you want the "K"!!!!!!!!oh, and i'm not trying to offend anyone that has a r swap....but in the real world the "K" is the boss......jmo

·
Registered
501 Posts
jscerteza said:
if money aint an issue for you than there's no question.........."K"!!!!!!!ALL DAY.....it'll go 12's right of the bat.....with reliability.....but if money is an issue, i guess a complete r swap would sufice....i'd just save up for a "K" though....

look here's what gonna happen if you go with a r swap....you'll do the swap notice its tons faster than your b16....then you'll get tired of it and do a "K"...you'll wish you would've done it in the first place....or, you'll do the r and get spanked by a "K", and wish you would've done the "K"......

either way you want the "K"!!!!!!!!oh, and i'm not trying to offend anyone that has a r swap....but in the real world the "K" is the boss......jmo
yessir!! i sold my b16 turbo setup to go k! Do some research and there will be no question in your mind that k is the way to go. I think this quote from hybrid-racings website sums it up perfectly:

"So, where do you want to be? Near the end of a great engine's development cycle (b-series) or at the beginning of a new era with an engine that already equals its illustrious predecessor?"

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
He beat me to it!!! Look man, I know you're new here but it's all about the K-Series!!!! Especially since you have 6 to 7 grand to spend on the swap.

Hopefully you will go K. You want a 12 sec car and be very realiable. A type-S swap is the answer!!! 12's stock and VERY realiable!!!!! And very good on the freeway as well. Look let's say you new nothing about b or K series motors. Why on earth would you buy a motor and build it so it could hit 12's, when you can buy a motor and hit 12's STOCK! and still have money to build and look towards 11 and 10's!

You have 6 to 7 grand right???? Type-S swap=$3000. That leaves you with 3 to 4 G's right. You can get Hasport mounts for about $600(somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). Total so far is $3600. Then get a Hondata K-Pro(Programmable ecu) for $1000. Total now is $4600. Get the DTR-fab headers(4-2-1 or 4-1 your choice) for about $1000. Total now is $5600. What else??? You need shift linkage(unless you get lucky and someone sends it with the swap), and EP3 axels and custom exhaust(for EG). Both should be no more than $1000. Total now is $6600. Take the last $400 buck and tune it! Installation??? Hasport give you full install instructions with your mounts, so YOU can install it your self.

So you have spent the $7 G's YOU said you are willing to commit. And you have a type-S swap with i/h/e and k-pro TUNED. That's STILL STOCK!!!! You HAVE NOT even went inside the motor yet!!!! And you will consistily run(with practice) high to mid 12's ALL DAY LONG!!!!! and be EXTREMLY realiable and be very quick on the highway as well.

Now tell me you can hit mid 12's with an ls/vtec swap with just i/h/e and tuned??? I don't think so. You might have someone say "yes you can" but I GAURANTEE they went inside the motor as well!! They most likely put higher comprssion pistions in with a type-r tranny. You'll have the type-s tranny not the type-R and still do mid 12's, so with a type-r tranny................

JUST GET A TYPE-S SWAP :up:

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
Oh and research, research, research!!!! :up:

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
I don't know why a shop would tell you(provided the knowledge however small) to go b series instead of encouraging you to go K series ESPECIALLY since a k-series swap provided they do it, would be more profitable to them.

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
HTML:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2278

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: 11248c

Wow 11248c . You did this swap before? I think minus k-pro and dtr header you might have enough money. You didnt mention any misc. parts needed.
those add up to $$$. Check out hybrid-racing, they have a good deal on a package. about $2500? most if all the parts needed for the swap. maybe throw in a k-pro if any money left over.
Your on this site for a reason K-power all the way!!!!!! :up:

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
Re: 11248c

typer0186 said:
Wow 11248c . You did this swap before? I think minus k-pro and dtr header you might have enough money. You didnt mention any misc. parts needed.
those add up to $$$. Check out hybrid-racing, they have a good deal on a package. about $2500? most if all the parts needed for the swap. maybe throw in a k-pro if any money left over.
Your on this site for a reason K-power all the way!!!!!! :up:
Well yeah I forgot about the wiring and some other small parts which is sold on hybrid-racing website. Either way with $6 to 7 G's he said he has to do this project he can do the Type-S swap and come out wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of any b-series swap!!

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
NeonFreon said:
Go K-series!

No wait, stay B-series!!!

Then I can roll you every time... :D
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
honestly, the K series is a better motor with potential, but your car is already setup for a B motor. So it would be cheaper just to throw a C5 in it, you could use the same transmission and everything, You would just have to also change the Computer and or wiring, I'm not sure if what type of OBD setup your running. But I think the C5 is still a great motor. Sounds badass and doesn't make much less power than a K20A2. If your going to spend the money just get a K20A-R. Thats a sweet motor out of the box. If you get the C5 you can spend the money you saved on other stuff.

my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.