Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
...would make me guess around 34.4-34.7 mm exhaust valve.
No room for that size. The limit is the 45.25 mm radius, where it is already hard to get a 38.3 valve in, not speaking about the shrouding. What you can do is increasing the exhaust valve diameter but then you must reduce the intake valve diameter, just because you still need relevant valve overlap and no valve to valve contact in that period. 30 mm is the maximum at 38.3 mm intake valves and serious cam lobe center angles, the basis for NA engine power.

Your Dad built you that car?
Very nice vision.

What interests me was the 326 HP 86mm x 86mm using the TSX Pro head. I like it so much I went out immediately and found a 100% complete one for $225. Using RR3 cams they managed to make a decent amount more mid-range and keep TQ linear close to redline. This tells me at least two things - they are harnessing air velocity extremely well pre mid-range. The fact that the 86mm stroke helps keep TQ after mid-range linear for 2000 rpm, gives the air velocity somewhere to go. And that accelerates the process of top-end volumetric efficiently, again the more "Umpff in the beginning" theory. NA 326HP at the crank from 86x86.
Theory is always helpfully to start something unexperienced to make it kind of experiencable 😉. That field is one of my favourites. The 330 flwhp are a beginning. I designed a Bonneville engine based on a 90x78.5 (1998 ccm) engine which would need a customized valvetrain (design finished) which would be able to push 380 [email protected],000 rpm on the dyno brake. The engine is very expensive, almost 30 k€, almost everything is customized. The approach I used is the same as for the 90.5x106 engine. The 2000 ccm displacement is just a much better fit to the K20 head. Valve cross section and the individual cylinder displacement matching so good for 8000-12000 rpm redline speed applications. That what you say, the torque get's nicely flat over a wide revving range. In terms of load and speed control very predictable because the power development is just linear, you know what comes next so easily if you let revv it just 1000 rpm more...all the way up to 11,500 rpm. A Bonneville Salt sea engine must be capable of some over revving when the cars fly over wet areas, so it has to be designed to go into +1500 rpm at least to peak power speed. Which makes this thing so expensive: 12,500 rpm is no joke for the long lever arms of the K-series valvetrain. Timing chain lenghtening can ruin your engine too as well as valve floating is biggest and most expensive challenge. Another issue is, what works on sea level optimal, doesn't work optimal on salt sea level at 1600 m altitude. Density goes down by a significant portion, mass impulse vs. pressure wave dynamic changing their weight among the best VE supporters over the revving band. Anyway, the 330 flwhp out of the 86x86 engine are nice, nice when it is there below 9000 rpm. The Bonneville engine would reach it at 8800 rpm and make it climbing all the way up to 11,000 rpm. My DAMPFHAMMER engine is planned to reach 310 [email protected] rpm, it's an Slalom application which needs huge torque all the way down to the left end of the high speed cam at 4500 rpm. Totally different engine. I really like that 2000 ccm displacement. As I said, distribute it to 8 cylinders you can decrease the stroke, use a flat tappet approach valvetrain with an belt and you can see with the right head and everything else 460 [email protected],600 rpm. Think of what a 2.4 Liter (80x60) engine would be capable of, the 500 flwhp border would be kicked to at least 540 flwhp at just the same VE level. So to say, the doubling of the I4 concept is the 2-Liter-heaven regarding power, not regarding a high torque. My DAMPFHAMMER reached at 5200 rpm already 274 Nm on the dyno, it will peak at 7500 rpm. The V8 won't get in that area, because when the air column is at optimal speed the time for combustion is already very short and the losses in the rotating parts are already so high that the gas forces, creating the torque, get eaten by them in a significant manner. Just power climbs with engine speed as the lower torque level can be kept by the huuuuuge valve cross section, which is needed to get the air into that thing beyond 10,000 rpm. BTW, Formula 1 need decades to get beyond 12,000 rpm, just because combustion was always to slow. That complexity of every process on the IC engine hands into another one and none of them can be pronounced to much as the optimum is a huuuuge compromise for the individual one makes it for me so fantastic, inspiring and interesting. No propulsion system is that complex as the IC engine. None of them. Every little discipline of physics can be found in that little system. None of them has the compactness and power range (0.005 hp to 80,000 hp). None of them has occupied so much engineers over 100 years. Just no they began to ring it down by the emissions limits. I already designed and tested zero bad emission IC engine using Hydrogen based on Gas engines of the company I worked for. BTW, it is the oldest series engine producing company of the world, over 110 years old. It's a tragic for me to see this kind of technology is no longer demanded by the next generations. When my daughter will leave the house, about in 6 years, we will see much more E-engines, Fuel Cells and less of IC engines. That will impact the race industry in some way, and of course my vision of developing many more high end concepts for the racing market.

I am sorry for my long post. Thinking of that waves me from enthusiastic, to inspiration and a bit of blue feelings...

...Things have been slow this week around here. My health isn't improving, getting harder to walk and work around alot.
Sorry to hear that. I hope there is a light on the end of the tunnel.

...My Sister had surgery last Thursday to remove a tumor from ovarian cancer. My grandmother was back into the ER from internal bleeding 9 days ago. She is now in a facility to build her back up again to go to her apartment. I am helping my Sister, so I have 4 kids I am homeschooling and assisting with virtual/home schooling (virtual is homeschooling really). I am busy.
Man, I am really sorry to read that. I whish you and your relative the strongness to stand this.
I was also home schooling my daughter, just one. But I know it can be exhausting, especially if the kid need extra support to get things in a logic row of order, like our does need. But it was a great experience for me, I saw many of my lacking talents to teach one so that not only I understand it 😉...I learnt much about keeping patience and curiousity awake instead of let the frustration grow. But I am still worlds apart from a good teacher, which makes a funny and efficient kids teaching. My students at University where better customers for that 😅. How is your experience with that teaching, especially if those are your own kids in your own house?

Sometimes I don't mind the build being down. I get better ideas when I have to wait for them. This atuff I am doing isn't cheap, I do not want to waste money. At the same time I want to do the job right, not skip gaskets, have the new build go to poop while I am showing it off to my buddies. " Look at what I built. And oil is rivering out on their driveway...hahaha
Yeah (y)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thanks for getting me clear on the exhaust valve size due to piston valve contact. I didn't even think about that fact.

Sorry to hear that. I hope there is a light on the end of the tunnel.
Thank you brother from another mother. In 2012, I was diagnosed with Sinus Tarsi Alignment Syndrome and once of the worst cases the best foot ortho doctor has seen in 30 years. The cartilage in both ankles was gone and I was on bone on bone over 75% of the ankle joints. The tendons in both ankles were too far gone to repair and were insurance risks to re-attach them to the bones - if they were to only repair them I would have been left with a 80% mobility loss. So the only other option I had was to fuse both ankle joints, leaving me a 50% mobility loss. May 2013 I had my 1st left ankle fusion, then back to work supporting the family, March 2015 1st right ankle fusion, then back to work. 11/2015 additional right ankle fusion work and exoskeleton bone removal. 10/2017 4th right ankle fusion hardware removed and back to work. Raising a family leaves a man no time to recover and repair himself. Needless to say, the ankle fusions didn't warrant me to go back to the output I once did.

I have Hypertension 2 and a pulse disorder - I take 3 blood pressure meds and Lipitor. I skateboarded for 23 years of my life. I played sports. I started doing construction work in 1994. By 1998, I was taking 6G X-Ray pipe welding tests. I am a pipe fitter by trade, pipe welder by trade, metal fabricator by trade, and a structural welder by trade. By no means was I easy on my body. I do not give up easily.

I have one 9 year old daughter. My 3 step-sons (bonus kids) are gone now because of the divorce. I homeschool her. My sister's 3 kids are here b/c of her surgery - so I am getting them through their virtual school days. Which leaves not much room left for working on the car. So I am getting up at 430AM eastern time (east coast time) to work on the car until 730am - then school time until 4pm. Some days I get a 2hr period in there to do stuff. Last weekend it rained all weekend and that made jacking the car up, putting it on stands, and pulling the engine and tranny out.

I just had to order more parts and tools to do my job correctly, so that is good.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks for getting me clear on the exhaust valve size due to piston valve contact. I didn't even think about that fact.

Thank you brother from another mother. In 2012, I was diagnosed with Sinus Tarsi Alignment Syndrome and once of the worst cases the best foot ortho doctor has seen in 30 years. The cartilage in both ankles was gone and I was on bone on bone over 75% of the ankle joints. The tendons in both ankles were too far gone to repair and were insurance risks to re-attach them to the bones - if they were to only repair them I would have been left with a 80% mobility loss. So the only other option I had was to fuse both ankle joints, leaving me a 50% mobility loss. May 2013 I had my 1st left ankle fusion, then back to work supporting the family, March 2015 1st right ankle fusion, then back to work. 11/2015 additional right ankle fusion work and exoskeleton bone removal. 10/2017 4th right ankle fusion hardware removed and back to work. Raising a family leaves a man no time to recover and repair himself. Needless to say, the ankle fusions didn't warrant me to go back to the output I once did.

I have Hypertension 2 and a pulse disorder - I take 3 blood pressure meds and Lipitor. I skateboarded for 23 years of my life. I played sports. I started doing construction work in 1994. By 1998, I was taking 6G X-Ray pipe welding tests. I am a pipe fitter by trade, pipe welder by trade, metal fabricator by trade, and a structural welder by trade. By no means was I easy on my body. I do not give up easily.

I have one 9 year old daughter. My 3 step-sons (bonus kids) are gone now because of the divorce. I homeschool her. My sister's 3 kids are here b/c of her surgery - so I am getting them through their virtual school days. Which leaves not much room left for working on the car. So I am getting up at 430AM eastern time (east coast time) to work on the car until 730am - then school time until 4pm. Some days I get a 2hr period in there to do stuff. Last weekend it rained all weekend and that made jacking the car up, putting it on stands, and pulling the engine and tranny out.

I just had to order more parts and tools to do my job correctly, so that is good.
Damn dude that’s quite the story. I have some ankle and knee problems from skateboarding all the early 2000s when I was still in school, definitely no fun when doing normal tasks although mine are just bone spurs and strains . The cold weather doesn’t help things either. Sounds like you have made many sacrifices to keep your family going strong , as a good man would. I hope you’re able to get your build done for your daughter without too may painful times.

·
Registered
653 Posts

I’m up at 430 daily as well 😆 early to bed and early to rise 👍 gives me some good time in the garage and on modern warfare before work 😂

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
Thanks for getting me clear on the exhaust valve size due to piston valve contact.
To get you a better overview what 34 mm exhaust OD would mean.

This is the 38.3 mm intake valve head which is opposed by the 30 mm exhaust valves. Intake and exhaust valve edges already touch each other when closed, so opening is another story. You see the top cuts of the intake valves already merge each other, also not far from spark plug...it's the intake valves, touching the exhaust valves during overlap, which is the main limiting factor. The valve to piston contact is also an issue, but not in case of a increased exhaust valve OD.

...May 2013 I had my 1st left ankle fusion, then back to work supporting the family, March 2015 1st right ankle fusion, then back to work. 11/2015 additional right ankle fusion work and exoskeleton bone removal. 10/2017 4th right ankle fusion hardware removed and back to work...I have Hypertension 2 and a pulse disorder - I take 3 blood pressure meds and Lipitor. I skateboarded for 23 years of my life. I played sports...
Ooooh, man I am sorry for your pain and mobility restrictions as well as the hypertension. That must be really hard for you compensating this on your daily work and living. Does the skateborading increase the wear of the ankles? I have a both sided retropatellaire chondropathie from some lacking knee construction mechanic genes and years of running, climbing and cycling. I live with it since 2009. Anyway since 2012 I had to quit cycling as even stairs pained me, I pulled me up the stairs by hand 😅. Today I do 10 minutes on the cross trainer a day if possible, eat a lot of cartilage improving food. But to knee down, to crouch down, running and all that stuff I can't do without days of with 1000 needles in the knees.

How do you balance your body if the anckles are fused? All with being flexible in the knees? Or with the toes?

Very nice age. My 12 year old tests actually on daily basis the tension of my nerves...LOL :D. I need to adapt my tolerance hugely to keep up with her. Since when do you homeschool her? That's a long school day from 8 am to 4 pm. Mine has 2 days long till 4 pm and 3 days short till 12:30 am. Actually schools are open since September.

Great, I am looking forward to see your project growing man! I hope you do your exhaust piping yourself. If you like, I can do the design for you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I’m up at 430 daily as well 😆 early to bed and early to rise 👍 gives me some good time in the garage and on modern warfare before work 😂
that is a cool way to get your head right before the warfare brother. I understand what you are saying. I almost got the engine out this morning. I will have a few more hours today to advance some more. We are expecting rain tomorrow through Saturday, it would be nice to get the engine and tranny inside before the rain starts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
To get you a better overview what 34 mm exhaust OD would mean.

View attachment 102809

This is the 38.3 mm intake valve head which is opposed by the 30 mm exhaust valves. Intake and exhaust valve edges already touch each other when closed, so opening is another story. You see the top cuts of the intake valves already merge each other, also not far from spark plug...it's the intake valves, touching the exhaust valves during overlap, which is the main limiting factor. The valve to piston contact is also an issue, but not in case of a increased exhaust valve OD.

Ooooh, man I am sorry for your pain and mobility restrictions as well as the hypertension. That must be really hard for you compensating this on your daily work and living. Does the skateborading increase the wear of the ankles? I have a both sided retropatellaire chondropathie from some lacking knee construction mechanic genes and years of running, climbing and cycling. I live with it since 2009. Anyway since 2012 I had to quit cycling as even stairs pained me, I pulled me up the stairs by hand 😅. Today I do 10 minutes on the cross trainer a day if possible, eat a lot of cartilage improving food. But to knee down, to crouch down, running and all that stuff I can't do without days of with 1000 needles in the knees.

How do you balance your body if the anckles are fused? All with being flexible in the knees? Or with the toes?

Very nice age. My 12 year old tests actually on daily basis the tension of my nerves...LOL :D. I need to adapt my tolerance hugely to keep up with her. Since when do you homeschool her? That's a long school day from 8 am to 4 pm. Mine has 2 days long till 4 pm and 3 days short till 12:30 am. Actually schools are open since September.

Great, I am looking forward to see your project growing man! I hope you do your exhaust piping yourself. If you like, I can do the design for you.
I quit skateboarding 10 years ago brother. Mobility is very hard having ankle fusions and chronic pain is no fun. I credit skateboarding to giving me the balance I do have now, I use a cane a lot. The best way I can describe my balance is it is like walking on 2"x4" piece of wood - very easy to fall off the shelf if my weight shifts suddenly which creates falling. I am sorry to hear you have the problems you are having with your knees, I am sure it is not easy getting around and not being able to kneel must be hard.

We found out that the chronic pain and acute pain causes issues with my blood pressure.

Sophia is on virtual schooling, I call it home schooling because it requires me to be present. Honestly, I feel it is my duty. We study, read, do homework, and virtual schooling is not as efficient as actual school. There is so much that I have to fill in with.

I almost got the engine out today.

I will be fabricating the following items:

- complete exhaust system. K-Tuned RSX 409 421 race header w/ modified collector (2.5"), megaphone, 3" straight thru exhaust. Straight thru Vibrant Ultra Quite Resinator and Vibrant stealth muffler

- Coolant Swirl Tank modified to relocate radiator cap

- Closed PCV catch can

- PNP RBC IM. Bored TB opening, shaped runner entry, port matched to PRB head & Thermal IMG

- Valvecover Breather System

- OEM fuel rail converted w/ return fuel line

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
LotusElise - would you like to help design my intake based on the parts I have purchased. In order I have listed below is the order they will be fabricated in the system. The lengths of each section need to be determined.

1) K-Tuned TB 70mm butterfly. 70mm x 74mm taper

2) Thick wall Aluminum pipe 3" x 1ft. long. The ID is 2.9" which equals 73.66mm. My plan is to bore this piece to 74mm ID and lathe the outside to flush with the next piece for a cap weld. The inside line up will be smooth and is the point of going through all the trouble of purchasing these parts to make the ID's line up perfectly, unlike many custom intakes being sold for huge dollars. And they do more harm than good.

The way I see it is this piece needs to be short in length but not too short. It's purpose is to line up the ID's. It's length can help with air velocity by meeting the concentric reducer. I am thinking around 2.75"-3.5" length.

3) 2.5" x 4" (extra long) concentric reducer. I had this made to give me the availability to line up ID's on both sides of the reducer correctly. From what I am figuring the reducer's length be close to 4.185" long.

4) CX 3.5" OD 180 degree long bend fitting with extra long legs on one side. The wall thickness of this section is 1/16"-3/32". I picked this part because the wall thickness was exactly the same as K-Tuned 3.5" velocity stack wall thickness.

I will take some pics for you. The point of the intake is to get away from traditional CAI designs - some of them are too long IMO to achieve getting the filter out of the engine bay, most of them have extreme bends to avoid surrounding oem items/parts (like batteries), and the aftermarket intakes are too thin. Not to mention they are extremely expensive for what they are.

So my take on this is to copy what Honda has already designed as best possible and make a few changes to see if there is some room to make some more power and performance. Honda's intake supply pipe is basically a long concentric "ish" reducer, 62mm ID x 3,2"ish" ID. Honda's piping length doesn't stop with this piece. It travels further into the airbox making a 90 degree turn into a air filter.

I was running a SRI before this build project I am making a thread about. I utilized the Honda intake supply tube at the TB to K-Tuned's 3.5" velocity stack. BY chance I tried to fit it into the large end of the Honda supply tube, it fit well except there was a lip due to ID differences. So I made a transition piece to fix that about 3" long and the intake was good to. This SRI was better than previous CAI's I was using in the past on the same type of K20 builds. The problem I did have was the engine mount vibration slowly tore the thin parts of the rubber supply tube.

This intake is ram air. It cost a coin to build. It is R&D and should help me to discover what lengths are the correct ones. A very good friend of mine owns a Dynapack 3000 and is always willing to work with me on projects, providing the shop is slow or we schedule weekend sessions.

Sorry about the text length, well no I am not. And neither should you worry about how long your texts are on my thread or posts. The whole thing we are doing is about education and R&D, most importantly it is a passion. If you want to throw ideas at me about the exhaust system I am fine with that, however I have already bought all the parts. I got stuck with a lemon header that I am going to have to fix before I can use it. while I am doing that I plan to modify the collector exit. Unless the company steps up and replaces the header.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I have ordered the parts and equipment to switch the oem fuel line supply line to -6AN SS braided fuel line from the fuel pump assembly to the fuel filter, check valve, secondary fuel filter, etc. fuel rail. I also ordered -4AN SS braided fuel line to run a return line back to the fuel pump assembly. I am not using bulkhead fittings.

Removing the engine and transmission has been put on a hold until this upcoming Saturday. It has been helpful having the engine in to finish fabricating the swirl tank & associated piping, the valve cover breather tank, a front upper strut bar that is located behind the backside of the valve cover. Having the engine still in is helping to design and fabricate the air intake filter box.

Today's goals are to finish removing the exhaust system, the header is completely unbolted except one bolt. To finish pulling the the driver side axle and removing the halfshaft & passenger side axle (as a whole section). The lower roll center ball joints are rusted/fused together.

I have my daughter off to virtual school so I am heading off to the driveway to work.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
LotusElise - would you like to help design my intake based on the parts I have purchased. In order I have listed below is the order they will be fabricated in the system. The lengths of each section need to be determined.
Sorry for my late reply, to do it right I would have to simulate the engine. Intake R&D is complex and it is always a question where you want to add torque and where to lower, as it is always a compromise of give and take in a different way. So what would be your idea of give and take of torque?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
the goal with my intake is mid-range to top-end TQ gains. I do not care so much about the low end TQ.
If you switch from a 3" OD intake with 10" length to an 20" one you will see a to lower engine speed shifted support. I only talk about high speed camshaft. That said, there is an optimal intake for every engine speed range. Of course it is important from where you come from to say that system will give you a better result for your aim. Roughly you can say an ID > 70 mm is necessary for high speed cam support. The shorter it is, the higher the supported engine speed range is (don't expect a wider range then 3000 rpm if ID is chosen).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
If you switch from a 3" OD intake with 10" length to an 20" one you will see a to lower engine speed shifted support. I only talk about high speed camshaft. That said, there is an optimal intake for every engine speed range. Of course it is important from where you come from to say that system will give you a better result for your aim. Roughly you can say an ID > 70 mm is necessary for high speed cam support. The shorter it is, the higher the supported engine speed range is (don't expect a wider range then 3000 rpm if ID is chosen).
thank you for that information.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
thank you for that information.
Some in addition to give you a view of what I mean.

Torque curves of an engine. Blue and black line represent a 280 mm long intake of 74 and 80 mm ID, the other two a 560 mm long intake pipe of 74 and 80 mm. The diameter doesn't change the torque in that magnitude length does it. It's a game changer. But there is no overall win. It is always a give and take. You need to know where your demand is highest.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
with the longer section of piping there is more air "charged" or "available" for the engine for the VTEC crossover. basically because the piping is longer. the loss for the shorter section of pipe is because of the opposite reason. Yes there is always give and take. To me having linear TQ & Peaking TQ is better than falling TQ, typically just the top end gains are falling, and top end is fro a shorter period of time. From your graph I am on the right track.

the overall length of my intake piping 560-590mm. however it is not cut and dry small to big pipe transition. I am attempting to have some decent TQ from 4000-8500 rpm, more usable power. With my PNP RBC IM I think what I have will mix well.

So this is how my intake piping will go :

1) 70mm TB butterfly with a taper to 74mm inside of the TB

2) I have a custom aluminum pipe I ordered from McMaster Carr. It is 73.66mm ID yet it is heavy wall. So I will take it to a lathe and have the wall thickness taken down to the next pipe's OD. I will cross hatch the ID of the this pipe to find the 0.44mm I need. This pipe will be around 114mm long.

3) I have a custom made long transition piece. 63.5mm x 101.6mm. I did this because when I ordered the 89mm OD final pipe section I was not sure what the ID would be. This piece will allow me to trim to the ID's on both sides as needed. This transition should work out to be 101.6mm long.

4) the final section of piping with be 85.45mm ID just like the K-Tuned velocity stack ID. It just worked out like that perfectly. This section will be 381mm long and will enter the airbox and be feed ram air by two ducts - one from the bumper and one from the hood scoop.

Summary
-- The intake should make some decent velocity before the TB and at the TB. The 85.45mm ID section will have plenty of air stored inside of it for the mid-range and top-end. If it does not work I have penty of 80.9mm ID piping (1524mm length) and (914.4mm length) of 85.45mm ID pipe.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
with the longer section of piping there is more air "charged" or "available" for the engine for the VTEC crossover. basically because the piping is longer. the loss for the shorter section of pipe is because of the opposite reason. Yes there is always give and take. To me having linear TQ & Peaking TQ is better than falling TQ, typically just the top end gains are falling, and top end is fro a shorter period of time. From your graph I am on the right track.
Yes, what is good for stationary torque must not be good to have an aggressiv transition when load and engine speed changes. There is another point, shorter pipes are prone to suck more heated then the longer ones. Measures like fresh air feeders incl. feed housings has to be taken. Many of the customers have short pipe intakes and see elevated intake air temperatures. The mentioned fresh air approach is a must to get out the optimum. Long horn intakes can solve that, but risk higher risk of suction in of water, dirt and insects. The first is an engine killer, if water level increases too high and you want to "rescue" your car.

When I have time I will look into your options.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Well I am not into the CAI filter in the lower bumper. I am positioning everything in the engine bay to allow for the intake piping to stay as level as possible with the IM plenum and throttle body. I will post a pic here soon of the intake.

I have to pull this engine today. So I am breaking ball joints and removing axles right now. Then I can hook up the engine hoist and loosen the engine mount bolts by myself. I might not get the engine out today. i would like someone to operate the engine hoist while I handle the bolts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
A status update to the thread. Both the passenger and driver side suspension, both axles, and half shaft are removed. The lower ball joints are pressed out of the knuckles, the exhaust is completely removed, and the engine is ready to be pulled.

Today's goals are to lay out some lines in the engine bay marking the engine's position and height. That way I can continue to fabricate parts without the engine in the bay.

I will begin to disassemble the engine once it is rolled into the shop. This is a milestone for me in many ways doing all the work by myself and am under doctor's orders to not do shit. I just work one day 4-6 hrs, take the next day off to recover, and get back at it. I have so many new Honda engine parts this will be fun servicing it.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
... will begin to disassemble the engine once it is rolled into the shop. This is a milestone for me in many ways doing all the work by myself and am under doctor's orders to not do shit. I just work one day 4-6 hrs, take the next day off to recover, and get back at it. I have so many new Honda engine parts this will be fun servicing it.
Congratulation to you for achieving your milestone under this tough circumstances. I hope and whish you see more ups as downs and your projects help to heal your suffers a bit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Congratulation to you for achieving your milestone under this tough circumstances. I hope and whish you see more ups as downs and your projects help to heal your suffers a bit.
Thank you very much for the kind positive words - they mean a lot to me. Yes yes more ups than downs always is what works for me fine. I can tell you completing these projects on the car heals the mind and the soul.

Today I worked on last minute fabrications before I lose the engine's place in the engine bay :

1) New Similar Swirl Tank design
2) Vertical Radiator Bulkheads w/ strut bar
3) Tucked Radiator Hose locations and routes
4) Valve Cover breather Box
5) Labeling engine harness plugs

First thing tomorrow morning, I am going to layout some extra lines and scribe marks to simulate the engine and transmission still being in the engine bay. This will help out continuing fabrication of custom parts, fuel parts & lines, radiator hoses, vacuum lines, and the plumbing including hangers etc.

I had to change my original swirl tank design. Because of my intake and airbox design, there just wasn't enough room. I didn't want to use the more typical CAI route, I choose to keep the OEM design as close as possible to it's original form. Except the supply duct from the bumper is much larger and the hood will have a supply duct as well. Basically the intake and the airbox are the focal point of the engine bay theme.

Again thank you for the kind encouraging words. This kind of work is not easy on my body.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts