Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
561 - 580 of 648 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,425 Posts
Pay no attention to the bar all the way in the back, it is just laying there.
Looks like it uses the brackets, which also just laying there ;).

Trust me I really wanted to weld it in, but being adjustable will allow me tighten it some for tension.
Understood, flexibility and precision in functionality is there the key for you.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
Looks like it uses the brackets, which also just laying there ;).

Understood, flexibility and precision in functionality is there the key for you.
You know if I can make it easier on myself I will. With it being removal it will be more useful. also being able to adjust it by tightening some will make it more effective I was told by Brady the 35 year ASE tech and 25 year road racer. He said alot of bars are not serving the 100% purpose of being in there.

Something I noticed about the 2018 CTR yesterday while inspecting a wrecked was Honda installed a upper strut tower plate that locks all of the strut tower bolts like a big washer/plate. This something I was already thinking about creating before. Have you seen a close up pic of the 2018 CTR's front suspension knuckles, coils, coilover brace, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
Shoe Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt Vehicle brake

Brake vents installed on the knuckle, looks like a dual roll center, and has a brace of some sort of a camber arm at the top of the coils

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,425 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 ·
Past two days I have been plugging away at the tranny. Come to find out who I bought the car from told a small lie saying the dealership installed a oem LSD. Well at least the car will be faster and turn better than it did before. Upgrading to an MFactory LSD purchased from Drag Cartel on sale. I have a bearing to replace on the countershaft , replacing all oil seals, replacing both bearing on the diff. while I have it there, and the needle bearing appears to be fine.

The vinyl tape on the splines is on backwards. The trans magnet has little metal on it. The close up on the magnet looks worse than it really is. The one side looks heavy but the steel incased the magnet on the far side is making it look thicker than it is.

Wood Rectangle Font Wood stain Hardwood
Wheel Rim Gas Wood Gear
Wood Table Floor Gas Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Tire
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design
Gas Auto part Wire Glove Cable
Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Grey Wood

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,425 Posts
Come to find out who I bought the car from told a small lie saying the dealership installed a oem LSD
I see a cross shaft at the 4th picture, showing the opening for the axis shaft. Wasn't it a stock LSD? If it wasn't you would not see a cross shaft there.

Upgrading to an MFactory LSD
Fine. What type of LSD is it?

I have a bearing to replace on the countershaft , replacing all oil seals, replacing both bearing on the diff. while I have it there, and the needle bearing appears to be fine.
Are the bearing locations at the shaft already seizured?

Someone had a bad day
Wow, sorry to see that. Were you looking for spare parts at the junkyard?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 · (Edited)
Are the bearing locations at the shaft already seizured?
not seized, just not spinning like it should. I am so tight in money i would love to skip it..

Wow, sorry to see that. Were you looking for spare parts at the junkyard?
yes I was at the junkyard looking for spare parts. i didn't find any.

Fine. What type of LSD is it?
MFactory Helical.
PN# MF-TRS-05K20
Works with oem axles 26 spline. They have another one that works with 28 spline DSS Pro axles.

Gain a prominent advantage over the competition with the MFactory Helical Limited Slip Differential. Through the smooth and constant distribution of power to the wheels, the MFactory Helical LSD puts the power-to-the-ground and maximises your vehicle's traction. A must for any race car, be it Street, Strip or Track!
more...

Diamond Cut to exacting tolerances from Forged High-Nickel-Chromium-Molybdenum Steel
Perfect fitment & finish ensures hassle-free installation & maintenance, each and every time

Designed using leading-edge Solidworks 3D CAD & Cosmos FEA software
Advanced Gear Geometry minimizes parasitic drivetrain losses. Race transmissions built with MFactory components transfer, on average, 1-2% more power to the ground over our competitors!

Multiple Stages Available (Honda & Mazda)
Users can choose (and upgrade) between the various Stages available, which determine the Bias Ratios. With the MFactory Helical LSD, upto 75% torque can be transferred to the one wheel! A must-have for serious road-racers

2nd Generation Design
The MFactory v2 Helical LSD is lighter, stronger and more efficient than any other Torque-Biasing Differential on the market today!

Covered by the MFactory Feel The Torque™ 30-Day Money Back Guarantee!
An Industry First!
If you do not feel the difference after installing your new Limited Slip Differential, you may return the product to us for a full refund (excluding shipping costs) within 30 days of the purchase date

Covered by the MFactory Lifetime, Globally Transferable Warranty
Whether used on the Street, Strip or Track, all MFactory Helical LSD's come with a Lifetime, No-Hassle, Globally Transferable Warranty

No-Load/One-Wheel Syndrome
A common misconception is that a Torsen-Style Differential is useless under a no-load situation (e.g One wheel in the air). Although true to an extent, this no-load situation does not apply to the modern day car with Traction Control (or eDiff). For those without traction control, there is a very commonly used solution to the problem (used by professional race car drivers over the past 30+ years) that our competitors will not tell you; simply left-foot brake

Specifications
  • Made from imported Japanese SAE 4320 & SAE 9310 Steel
  • Forged, Double Tempered and Super Sub-Zero treated for unsurpassed toughness
  • Advanced Shot Peening technology increases surface hardness
  • Designed to withstand the extreme shock loads of competition-level Drag Racing
  • Advanced gear geometry designed using industry-leading software puts more power to the ground
  • Only the highest quality Brighton-Best Hardware is used
  • Maintenance-free Gears eliminates the need for special fluids & rebuilds associated with plate-type LSDs
  • Lock-free operation ensures no adverse affect to steering response
  • Optional Race Pack Upgrades for more aggressive cornering (Honda & Mazda Fitments Only)

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,425 Posts
not seized, just not spinning like it should.
I hope the inner bearing case does not spin on the shaft. It is a "Presspassung" :), should sit tight on the shaft.

i didn't find any.
Sorry to read. Any further junkyards nearby?

Gain a prominent advantage over the competition with the MFactory Helical Limited Slip Differential...
That makes sense 🤔. Where is the stock differential, you mentioned it was a lied stock LSD?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
That makes sense 🤔. Where is the stock differential, you mentioned it was a lied stock LSD?
I posted a pic above in post # 565. That is the oem I removed from the 02-04 TypeS tranny. I was wondering why the car didn't grab like it should with and LSD lol... Well I got the car for $4700 so I will not complain too much.

Sorry to read. Any further junkyards nearby?
There is only one that I go to, I was looking for oem strut bars from Acura TL's, TSX, and others. It is cheaper to get one of those and fabricate with it. I want to build a rear chassis cross bar like the DC5-R has. Some the oem bars I find already have bends in them which makes it easier to work with.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
I hope the inner bearing case does not spin on the shaft. It is a "Presspassung" :), should sit tight on the shaft.
It is not that one, it is the one that is one the countershaft side where the 32mm hex cap bolt is, it has a shim under it, the easiest one to remove and replace. the needle bearings are ok at the bottom of the countershaft side.

You have no idea the stress I felt this morning when I was looking at MFactory's website and saw that I needed a 28 spline axle to work with the LSD I bought. I called MFactory and they said I had the right one for a 26 spline. The literature is confusing because there are three LSD's they make for the K20a and 2 of them work with oem 26 spline axles. Good thing I have the right one.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
I am talking about this bearing on the countershaft is not spinning easily, some resistance :
Ball bearing (30x72x17) PN# (91004-PPP-014) #14 in diagram below

Font Motor vehicle Auto part Drawing Engineering

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
I have a RRC IM coming in the mail, I found it for $479 brand new and shipping was $32. I could not pass that up seeing how the Honda parts market is changing quickly. This is a IM I have always wanted and I want to score one before they become harder to come by. I will have a ported RBC IM as well. I have to figure a way to adapt the IAVC to the RRC IM.

I have the tranny apart cleaned, covered up, and stored properly until my OEM parts get here in the next 10 days to work on it. I have also ordered new lost motion springs for $63.52 for all 8. I have three sets of used lost motion springs lol.. I will find a use for them some way. Here is the OEM parts list I have coming :

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
14820-PNA-013​
Motion, Lost​
$7.94​
8​
$63.52​
90005-P0A-000​
Bolt-Washer (10X22)​
$6.42​
1​
$6.42​
95701-08022-04​
Bolt, Flange (8X22)​
$1.35​
2​
$2.70​
94109-14000​
Washer, Drain Plug (14MM)​
$0.46​
3​
$1.38​
14511-PNA-003​
Stopper (Tool)​
$2.80​
1​
$2.80​
95701-10050-08​
Bolt, Flange (10X50)​
$1.88​
2​
$3.76​
95701-06016-08​
Bolt, Flange (6X16)​
$0.97​
2​
$1.94​
95701-12060-08​
Bolt, Flange (12X60)​
$2.04​
4​
$8.16​
95701-12085-08​
Bolt, Flange (12X85)​
$3.10​
1​
$3.10​
91216-PG1-005​
Oil Seal (28X43X7) (Nok)​
$7.55​
1​
$7.55​
78419-S2R-003​
Seal, Ring​
$3.30​
1​
$3.30​
91004-PPP-014​
Bearing, Ball (30X72X17)​
$46.32​
1​
$46.32​
91005-PPS-003​
Bearing, Ball (40X80X18) (Ntn)​
$45.63​
2​
$91.26​
90401-PG1-000​
Washer, Drain Plug (10MM)​
$2.92​
1​
$2.92​
95801-10050-08​
Bolt, Flange (10X50)​
$1.94​
1​
$1.94​
23927-PG2-A00​
Washer, Spring (28MM)​
$6.90​
1​
$6.90​
95701-06030-00​
Bolt, Flange (6X30)​
$1.17​
1​
$1.17​
95701-08020-08​
Bolt, Flange (8X20)​
$0.99​
3​
$2.97​
94109-20000​
Washer, Drain Plug (20MM)​
$0.85​
1​
$0.85​
95701-08065-08​
Bolt, Flange (8X65)​
$1.78​
1​
$1.78​
95701-08040-08​
Bolt, Flange (8X40)​
$1.58​
15​
$23.70​
46185-SE0-003​
Seal, Rod​
$6.78​
1​
$6.78​
94001-08000-0S​
Nut, Hex (8MM)​
$0.90​
2​
$1.80​
94111-08800​
Washer, Spring (8MM)​
$0.66​
2​
$1.32​
95701-08025-08​
Bolt, Flange (8X25)​
$0.48​
1​
$0.48​
90165-SE0-000​
Bolt, Flange (10X37)​
$3.84​
2​
$7.68​
94109-12000​
Washer, Drain Plug (12MM)​
$0.70​
3​
$2.10​

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,425 Posts
You have no idea the stress I felt this morning when I was looking at MFactory's website and saw that I needed a 28 spline axle to work with the LSD I bought. I called MFactory and they said I had the right one for a 26 spline. The literature is confusing because there are three LSD's they make for the K20a and 2 of them work with oem 26 spline axles. Good thing I have the right one.
Some morning sport for the pumping system? Good you got the right one!

It is not that one, it is the one that is one the countershaft side where the 32mm hex cap bolt is, it has a shim under it, the easiest one to remove and replace. the needle bearings are ok at the bottom of the countershaft side.
Thanks for clarification.

I have a RRC IM...I will have a ported RBC IM as well...
You will sell one of it after testing or are you planing for a spare engine?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
You will sell one of it after testing or are you planing for a spare engine?
I do not think I can begin investing in a spare engine anytime soon. I am mainly doing this to test my port work on the RBC against the RRC. $479 for a RRC IM is hard to pass up. It is not like it will lose it's value in this market and the KSwap the world faze will consume jdm Honda parts. I wanted to get one before they become backordered or discontinued like the PRC IM did.

My neice is wanting to do a kswap in her EK hatch, she has a k20a2 longblock but lacks the funds to complete it. I got the RBC IM for free so it is not burning a hole in my pocket. How did I get it for free you are thinking...? I found a used K20z3 with a blown headgasket for $300 (everything still intact) and I resold it to my buddy for $300 and I get to keep the RBC IM as a finder & delivery fee.

Thanks for clarification.
I did not want to work on the mainshaft components. Well of course I wanted to install a 4.7FD but I am OK with the 4.3FD. I need to save money for my daughter's education and her needs growing up. I am blessed to have what I have already and I need to water the seeds I have planted already.

Some morning sport for the pumping system? Good you got the right one!
Yes. that got the blood pressure and pulse going for a solid 45 mins until MFactory opened up. Not joking either Markus, just from that my blood pressure went to 178 over 124 and pulse was 163 and in AFIB. the irregular beat alarm went off on my machine. I was not running around either, nor was I being chased by a tiger. This is what I mean by pulse disorder, AFIB, and hypertension 2. I should be saving my money for daughter in the event I have a heart attack or stroke. However, I am in the last stages of the build. The head will be back soon and the tranny parts right about the same time.

Then I need decent tires, a new battery, tuning, and new front control arm bushings. I am looking into spherical offset bearing for that. I have everything else I am pretty sure. I can't wait to get the engien in and start the plumbing. I have purchased AN fittings and braid hose for everything. No shit, everything. Something to be proud of.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,425 Posts
. I am mainly doing this to test my port work on the RBC against the RRC
Very nice. We have seen many of them, but the results are depended on exhaust and head port. There is still no clarity what are the lever arms making the difference. I would appreciate your result.

she has a k20a2 longblock but lacks the funds to complete it
A female Honda fan? Great! Sad to hear she runs out of budget to follow their hobby on street too.

I need to save money for my daughter's education and her needs growing up.
That's a huge challenge for many guys in the US and causes a lot of bank dependency for young starters. I pull my hat off for you taking that challenge and burden, sacrifying something of your enjoyment for your daughter in advance of her start to get into bank dependencies.

I can't wait to get the engien in and start the plumbing.
Me too.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
A female Honda fan? Great! Sad to hear she runs out of budget to follow their hobby on street too.
She is absolutely a Honda fan, many years ago when she was youngster I would take her for rides in my Honda with a SCK24. I told her the emergency/hazard button was the NOS and when she pushed it, I would downshift and do a gear pull. She loved it and there were times where she would push it and I was not paying attention. She would say "Uncle Gabe I am pushing it" then I would do it again. She says that is what made her fall in love Hondas. Tuning Hondas are not cheap for the most part. She works on her own car and works at a Auto Parts store. This helps me to be able to borrow tools from the store without having to deposit money until return.

sacrifying something of your enjoyment for your daughter in advance of her start to get into bank dependencies.
The plan is to teach her how to drive with the DC5 and have something to track with. I keep telling her she will have the coolest car in high school.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
Once I saw the oem oil filter heat shield fitted for the K20z3, I wanted it. Problem is the K20a2 block does not have mounting holes for it. There are not many options for mounting so I came up with this. It uses the oem header support mounting holes and I am still fabricating a custom header support bracket. This 6061 aluminum plate will allow this. I have a little more notching to do on the heat shield for perfect clearance. Also I need shorter bolts.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Engineering
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Gas

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
I need a heat shield like that. My custom headers are very close to my filter/ sandwich plate. This might help reduce my oil temps a bit. Do you know the part number for this?
Baffle, Oil Filter Heat - Honda (11224-RRB-010) $19.42

561 - 580 of 648 Posts