Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
521 - 540 of 557 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
Today I going to go check out a Z3 tranny for $1200 (120,000 miles) and $1500 (160,000 miles) for my build and see what else is happening at my buddy's shop. I want to find a 05-06 gas tank assemby, better side view mirrors, 05-06 wheels, A-sepc parts, black and red CRZ seats.

One of these days I may pick up a 06-08 TSX if I can find one for a good price. I want to completely strip and gut it out and turn it into a time attatck car - it has rear aluminum knuckles w/ 5 links rear suspension and double wishbone front suspension, I think stock they are 3200 lbs. I am willing to bet there is 475-600lbs of luxury to lose with a "simple NA build K24" with headwork, cams, 12.5 compression. I would keep the windows dark tint and install a roll cage inside and make attempts to drive it on the street sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
I ended up scoring a used Progress 27mm solid front sway bar for $100. When I got home I ordered a Progress 24mm rear sway bar with rear subframe support plate for $311 shipped. I also ordered replacement 27mm sway bar bushings and brackets for $35.

Now I have two complete sway bar systems to use, street set up 05-06 DC5 TypeS front 26.4mm x 4.8mm wall thickness sway bar & 05-06 DC5 TypeS rear 21mm sway bar. Race/Track Progress 27mm solid front sway bar & Progress 24mm solid rear sway bar.

I decreased the Progress bar. And cleaned with dawn soap. I am doing some paint prep for yellow.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Bicycle part Tar

Office supplies Asphalt Gas Rim Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
White Light Blue Bicycle part Tool
Blue Pliers Tool Hand tool Line
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Flooring Gas
Line Font Automotive tire Gas Electric blue
Last night I got to work on repairing and finishing the SSR Header. Reaching inside to clean and smooth. I have a large weld repai to make inside then flush down. I will be doing a repair thread on this header.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Repairing the inside of the header is on the back burner. I am adjusting the ride height on the coilovers, at the time in 2018 it seemed like a good idea to order the Extreme drop BC Racing BR coilovers. I wish I ordered the regular BR series coilovers. I will be at a 2" drop with these for street use for the next year or so. I will save up for a more track suited coilover for track use. I am installing the rear hard collars tonight as well.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
The same plan carried over from last night. I got off to a good start, all of my important tools and equipment are stored on a buggie with wheels. This keeps all of the tools right by the job, less getting up and down to find something or walk around. On the buggie I keep as many of the things I will need to complete a section at a time, the move on.

On both rears : E-Brake cables are off, brake caplipers, and brake rotors. I have de-greased the Ebrake cables and brass brushed the EBrake line brackets clean. I am painting these ebrake cable brackets, brake line body brackets (2qty.) painted red with clear coat. - these bracket are where the clips are installed. I cleaned the wheel wells twice last night allowing to dry overnight, Today I painted them with a thin rubberized coating to make it all black. The rear subframe arear front back and sides were cleaned, and painted black. The entire section of the chassis under the spare tire is also painted black to match.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim
Light Green Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper
Carabiner Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 · (Edited)
Some of the work. New rear shock absorber flange bolts. From the factory, BC Racing BR extreme drop coilover settings are pretty low. They come from the factory pre-loaded and if someone wants to pre-load more they suggest 5mm max. I installed them without adjusting the pre-load and then decided to raise the coilover another 1/2" leaving 28mm of bottom thread inserted into lower assembly. I like how easily it is to adjust these coilovers in the BR series, the top lock rings do not havr to be bothered.

I am a little obsessed restoring the chassis and suspension bolts. It is expensive and something many builders do not talk about doing, typically overlooked.

Plant Automotive tire Helmet Motor vehicle Window
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Alloy wheel
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Light
Hand Wood Finger Nail Plastic bottle

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
I had a failure on a SPC upper rear control arm hard bushing. This is the 1st time I have had an issue with an SPC product. They have been on the car for over two years and the replacement control arm has already arrived. The Progress 24mm rear sway bar and rear subframe support plate kit came in the mail yesterday. I was not expecting to buy this kit until I found the Progress 27mm front sway bar for $100. I purchased OEM rear control arm flange bolts a month ago and they may be too short b/c of the support plate requires longer bolts. I am hoping the bolts will not be too short, the OEM bolts look better than the bolts hat came in the kit.

Progress sells replacement parts for their parts, I was able to buy bushings and brackets for the front bar which was missing one and the one bushing wa clapped out.
Bicycle part Tool Nickel Rim Auto part

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Before I decided on Drag Cartel DIC's, I purchased a new OEM PRB timing chain tensioner and OEM chain. Since buying the cams I decided to invest in a InlinePro timing chain tensioner, the oem tensioner is reported to work fine with these cams as well as chain. I choose for a piece of mind to upgrade the TCT and chain to a Toda HD chain. I will be selling the OEM PRB TCT and timing chain instead of keeping them for backup parts.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #533 ·

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
IMO the Progress rear sway bar / subframe support kit looks better without the huge " Progress logo " showing from the rear of fhe car. They are not sponsoring my car so there is no need for the huge logo lol...

I took the sway bushings and decided I would cut some actual carbon fiber plate washers to go behind them. The rubber bushings stick to it better than against the metal brace. Mainly for looks it may serve a tiny purpose. I have to cut the carbon washer plates out in the morning and drill the holes.
Wood Rectangle Table Font Bumper
Rectangle Sleeve Wood Grey Beige

·
Registered
03 Acura RSX Type S, Stock internals, Basic bolt ons, kpro 4
93 Posts
Agreed about the logo, should look good with the CF. Did this kit come with endlinks? R u looking to sell them? Hotchkis obviously a great product but did u find the progress endlinks to be inadequate?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #537 ·
Agreed about the logo, should look good with the CF. Did this kit come with endlinks? R u looking to sell them? Hotchkis obviously a great product but did u find the progress endlinks to be inadequate?
the kit came with endlinks and they are smaller than the hotchicks ones not as stout in the structure but it feels like the endlinks that came with the kit have a harder rubber compound.

The brace with this kit has some twist to it and I think I will fix that tomorrow with some small dia pipe and welding. I will post pics tomorrow. If the backside does not rest flush against the subframe, I am going to make an aluminum plate that will flush it to the face of the subframe.

the Progress front 27mm sway bar comes with bushings unlike the OEM ones. The OEM bushings do not sit flat on the backside, they are a half oval type shape. So I am thinking of making something flat fo the Progress bushings to flush up against. Or make a custom fillet piece from a think piece of aluminum here at the house, grind it with a flapper wheel to the half oval shape I need. The next 4-5 days are going to be be full-time on the build mixed with overtime lol...

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #538 ·
1st step in making this brace a tiny bit better. Got to get these pieces welded in.
Hood Table Wood Textile Rectangle

I have the holes drilled in the carbon fiber plate washer. I started cutting them out by hand.
Textile Sleeve Mesh Dress shirt Gesture

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
Complete take a look. The bar is ready for the 1st part of welding. The carbon pieces are done one of them is a tad off on the cut. I think I can get over it from inside the cabin lol... time to take an 1hr break to rest the feet then get this kit on the car
Helmet Wood Rolling pin Cigar Gas
Wood Material property Household hardware Belt Strap
Hand tool Wood Stonemason's hammer Tool Metalworking hand tool
Wood Material property Hardwood Tints and shades Wood stain
Wood Table Material property Hardwood Tints and shades
Wood Household hardware Hand tool Nickel Laptop

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
All this work today and one bolt hole on the subframe brace is out of line for the sway bar bushings... I have to take it down to bore the hole some lol.... good job Progress. I also drilled holes in the brace so it would not drag air.

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Tire Plant Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Plant Automotive tire Tire Leaf Bumper

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Tire Plant Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Plant Automotive tire Tire Leaf Bumper

521 - 540 of 557 Posts