Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
421 - 440 of 447 Posts

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
I have to do the @KBuilt gasoline in the spray bottle trick on the block once I get it outside. Today should be my day off to rest my ankles an legs. I need to stay at it getting this engine back together.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
I have to do the @KBuilt gasoline in the spray bottle trick on the block once I get it outside. Today should be my day off to rest my ankles an legs. I need to stay at it getting this engine back together.
Don’t overdo it, I often have to remind myself the car isn’t going anywhere 😂

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
Don’t overdo it, I often have to remind myself the car isn’t going anywhere 😂
yeah I was up early at 6am ready to go again brother.

your right the car is not going anywhere lol........

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 · (Edited)
Cams are in. They went in easy, I just drew the holders down evenly and slowly and the cams align every easy. I have not TQ'd them down yet. I may have a set of Drag Cartel DIC's coming. So I am holding off on the engine and moving over to the chassis to see how the cam change status goes. I replaced the dowels on the rocker assembly.
Yellow Engineering Gas Auto part Machine
Motor vehicle Engineering Auto part Gas Machine
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
unfortunately yes, and that is the reason I am going to hold off using these Z1 cams just to be safe. The pair of PRB typeS cams I took out of the engine look a million times better than the Z1 cams. My rockers are in wonderful shape, if I installed these cams TQ them down and run them I will making a mistake. I really want to order another head gasket remove the head, install new valve guides, order new valves, 3 angle valve job /fresh new seat cut, new valve springs and resurface head. Install Drag Cartel DIC. I was thinking with the new spring pressure would help seat the valves better into the new seat surface after losing some material from the cutting/

I am really getting frustrated with everything, I am attempting to do things on a budget, when I should have at least got new valves and addressed creating a fresh seat surface. I really need to let a machine shop take over at this point and do this engine correctly. I just need to get this engine right and move on and enjoy the car. I need sponsorship help with restoring the head and getting DIC's

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,102 Posts
unfortunately yes, and that is the reason I am going to hold off using these Z1 cams just to be safe
That's a good idea. The roller rolls will thank it to you. Maybe you get a PRB or TSX set for cheap and can easily keep budget and quality within your specification? The power difference of the TSX vs the ITR or Z1 cams is there, especially in the high end. But if you run out of money it may be a solution to have some fun with the engine as long as the budget box get some bugs added again for a new or used but good set of DIC's?

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
That's a good idea. The roller rolls will thank it to you. Maybe you get a PRB or TSX set for cheap and can easily keep budget and quality within your specification? The power difference of the TSX vs the ITR or Z1 cams is there, especially in the high end. But if you run out of money it may be a solution to have some fun with the engine as long as the budget box get some bugs added again for a new or used but good set of DIC's?
I have a set of PRB cams that are in great shape. I have a set of 04-05 TSX cams.

So the 06 TSX intake cam is that much better than the PRC intake cam? I thought he duration on the ITR was better for the PRB block and head.

I want to do this right and jumped the gun. I just wasted $65 on a head gasket and $49 on cotters. I want to do this right. Using a ported RBC IM, hand cleaned intake port, large TB, I need to install DIC's and do a 3 angle valve job and restored head. The exhaust valves I have have pitting. If I do a 3 angle valves job and create fresh seals on the valves, I will be able to exploit decent power and will be taking care of my engine at the same time.

I just want to do this right even if it takes a few extra months to do it. I just sold $210 in parts so that is helpful. I have a extra 04-05 K24a2 head assembly, just do not have a rbc im that is uncut. This crap is getting expensive and stressful, I need to get this car running and things back to normal. I need to have a break from worrying about finishing something every single day and the lack of money to complete this in a timely fashion.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,102 Posts
Sorry man, I was too busy this week to respond.

I got some chassis work done today. I am getting ready to cut a tunnel for the exhaust to tuck up better into. So I started weld prepping and stitching. I have gussets to install as you will see soon.
Nice progress here, man! I didn't get the route for the engine. What's the plan there?

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Sorry man, I was too busy this week to respond.

Nice progress here, man! I didn't get the route for the engine. What's the plan there?
I called 4Piston to invoice a restore on the PRB-1 head. new magnesium valve guides, Ferra 6000 valves, valve seat resurface/valve work, valve spring pressure test, hot tank/clean. Maybe I can afford a port and RR3 cams with springs. I would install it and only use 8600 rpm until I take a year and save for a shortblock from them and then get the whole 9500rpm. I would end of paying a local machine shop around here more than them actually because they get deals on valves and other parts 4Piston gets on parts. Plus they are having Black Friday specials on what I need. Markus would you please call John and Luke and please ask them to work with me here, so I can get on the road and get on the road safely and right. My block has 160,000 miles on it and so does the head. If I address the importance of restoring the guides, valves, seats, correct spring pressure and correct valve seat, new cams, etc my block will last some time. Once I get $7,000-$10,000 for my daughter's dental needs. I can re-due the block.

You have a good one boss and get me a call.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,102 Posts
I called 4Piston to invoice a restore on the PRB-1 head. new magnesium valve guides, Ferra 6000 valves, valve seat resurface/valve work, valve spring pressure test, hot tank/clean. Maybe I can afford a port and RR3 cams with springs.
Did you change your approach? I thought you start with an OEM-like setup first till some funding is available? I

Markus would you please call John and Luke and please ask them to work with me here, so I can get on the road and get on the road safely and right.
Sure, if I can help. What is the exact point I can help you?

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 · (Edited)
Sure, if I can help. What is the exact point I can help you?
I am not sure if there is anything you can do. I will call them Monday.

I called them, they are really busy at the moment. John said he would call me back.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
Did you change your approach? I thought you start with an OEM-like setup first till some funding is available? I
I am weighting my options at the last minute, while there are Black Friday sales. I would like to restore the head. Since I am not going to use the PRC-030 cams, I would like to find a replacement. Honestly Markus, I am not feeling too spunky anymore. I need to get to a reliable status with this engine so I can recover some, get my strength back up, and recover financially.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,102 Posts
I need to get to a reliable status with this engine so I can recover some, get my strength back up, and recover financially.
Sounds like a good plan.

The restoration-job-approach is good, but I think it get costly. Adding a port process will level into a 1.5k USD, with that you still need adequate cams, valve springs, which adds another 2k USD and the car is still not tuned, the IM is still not supporting the cams and head. The door you would open is not a single black Friday deal, it is a whole list of deals you have to do to get this engine harmonized.

My suggestion would be purchase a K20Z1 or Z3 head plus cams, looking for an RBC or RRC IM and put it together for tuning and have fun for a while. Tuning can be based on a base calibration file, which shorten the process and effort for that. You will invest maybe 2.0k to 2.5k USD at all, depending on used part prices. What about this? Black Friday deals will come every year...no need to invest this year if it is challenging for you and your dentist finance challenges, the engine will wait for you, in operation readiness or in parts in your shelf.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
Sounds like a good plan.

The restoration-job-approach is good, but I think it get costly. Adding a port process will level into a 1.5k USD, with that you still need adequate cams, valve springs, which adds another 2k USD and the car is still not tuned, the IM is still not supporting the cams and head. The door you would open is not a single black Friday deal, it is a whole list of deals you have to do to get this engine harmonized.

My suggestion would be purchase a K20Z1 or Z3 head plus cams, looking for an RBC or RRC IM and put it together for tuning and have fun for a while. Tuning can be based on a base calibration file, which shorten the process and effort for that. You will invest maybe 2.0k to 2.5k USD at all, depending on used part prices. What about this? Black Friday deals will come every year...no need to invest this year if it is challenging for you and your dentist finance challenges, the engine will wait for you, in operation readiness or in parts in your shelf.
I do not have to get a port job on the head. I would rather have a restored head first, and find some cams that are in good shape. You are right the engine will always be there, sales will always come around. Thank you for the advice as it makes good sense and I needed to hear it broken down that way. I have a ported RBC IM, I need to deeply consider my next move. Thank you for your suggestions, I am looking at them right now. It makes good sense if I can restore the head without port work, I could afford a set of camshafts. I am waiting to hear back from 4Piston by Thursday for the quote on restoring the head with new valve guides, valves, and seats. I will make the next move from there - hopefully I can afford some work from them.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
the sub-projection is :

Restore the PRB-1 head
1) new Ferrea 6000 valves (8) intake & (8) exhaust
2) Manganese Bronze Valve Guides
3) cut new valve seats, 3 angle valve job
4) cleaned & hot tanked
5) spring pressure testing for correct valve to seat sealing (determines if a shim is needed)

I am not porting the head.

** Drag Cartel DIC - I can keep the same oem dual valve springs or source "PCX" AP1 9,000rpm (Stock redline)
** 4Piston RR3 cams - order new dual valve springs and use the ST Ti retainers I have now, upgrade TCT, Toda (race timing chain,beefier). They may not have any left.

• 4Piston charges $256 for (16) Ferrea 6000 valves vs $410 for oem valves
  • 4Piston does oem or aftermarket guides
  • 4Piston charges less than any machine shop in my area for the same type work and those local shops do not take heads as means of cash payment, 4Pistion charges less on valvetrain parts.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Wow.. nice to be apart of this build too. We have to start working on the undercoating and paint preserve.
I am looking forward to see one of the scenario's coming to shape.
🤣🤣

@KBuilt @LotusElise
Markus, yes it is getting a little scatter brain on not knowing which way to to go about it. So I am finally happy to inform You and anyone else following this build thread that actual progress is taking place. I have learned alot from this process and one of the biggest things I did do right is document my build with loads of pictures and notebooks. Because I am part stupid 🤣 and the other distracted, I found pictures from my build that showed 4 valves in a bag of Kroil after I cleaned them and I got those mixed up. I already tried to skim by not lapping one of the valves I replaced. When you asked me if I keep the valves in order, I knew I did. Then checked my notes and pictures I saw that I was not 100% sure anymore because of the 4 valves in the bag soaking. I learned my lesson and whom ever is keeping up with this build which is small will know not to do what I did.

So here is the correction Markus. I am breaking my head back down again tonight to bare and sending it to 4Piston. I just got the invoice:

• performance rebuild
  • no port work, except what I have already done. I may clean the ports a little further over the next day before it ships out
  • Ferrea 6000 valves
  • Manganese bronze valve guides
  • 3 angle valve job
  • Supertech valve spring kit
  • RR3 cams
  • valve springs pressure tested

The engine will not be a daily, I do not mind the losing low end TQ for mid-range and top using the RR3 cams. I am following your advice on not porting the head. The cams will complement the PNP RBC, 70mm TB and header. I am happy with this restore/ performance rebuild and getting more cfm from the 3 angle valve job and mild hand port.

421 - 440 of 447 Posts