Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
281 - 300 of 363 Posts

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
The rail is a bit of work. I wish I knew how to zinc coat it like a fresh oem piece when I am done. Two feeds on top and the pressure line from the fuel pressure regulator on the side. Like to get this tig welded tomorrow after a long flush with water. It will take alot of time to weld this to keep it from distorting shape, just have to jump around and do a little then wait for it to cool. It will take time.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring

Hand Sleeve Textile Finger Nail

There is more sanding to do to remove all the gizmos left from trimming the non-essentials.

Sleeve Wood Grey Fur clothing Natural material

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Wood Grey Automotive tire Flooring Hardwood

-6AN holes. There is a reason for using different weld bungs on the top. That is to line the connecting tee and 90 on centerline height off the top of the rail.

Wood Grey Tints and shades Linens Metal

These gizmos are a pain to flush down. 120grit flap bit and file seems to work the best. Once I figure out how to zinc coat the rail it will not be noticeable.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
24411-PPP-010​
Arm, Shift​
$28.72​
1​
$28.72​
24430-PNS-000​
Interlock​
$34.01​
1​
$34.01​
24433-PH8-000​
Bolt, Interlock​
$10.60​
1​
$10.60​
24470-PPP-010​
Lever Comp, Shift​
$65.04​
1​
$65.04​
44319-SE0-000​
Set-Ring (28X2.0)​
$2.40​
2​
$4.80​

This just shipped. Supposed to be overnight, lets see what the definition of "overnight" means. Once they get here I can get the shift assembly installed, fresh, and new.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 · (Edited)
@KBuilt Here it goes brother. Making -6AN joints this close is challenging without having zero draw back. I managed to only get 1/16"-3/32" total from both sides. This is using the correct vise blocks and both backing wrenches. I am glad that was the last tight spot like that I have to do.

All that is left is to tack on the -6AN bungs and tig them out slowly. Then flush the rail. I maybe the only person to have a fuel rail and lines like this.. in the world.
Hand Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Hood

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,019 Posts
@KBuilt Here it goes brother. Making -6AN joints this close is challenging without having zero draw back. I managed to only get 1/16"-3/32" total from both sides. This is using the correct vise blocks and both backing wrenches. I am glad that was the last tight spot like that I have to do.

All that is left is to tack on the -6AN bungs and tig them out slowly. Then flush the rail. I maybe the only person to have a fuel rail and lines like this.. in the world.
View attachment 105549 View attachment 105549
Ok now I’m jealous 😭 all the fittings looks very nice , I’m sure will be even better with the RBC plenum welded back on. This is going to be a serious looking engine bay I can already tell. Nice job 👍

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 · (Edited)
Ok now I’m jealous 😭 all the fittings looks very nice , I’m sure will be even better with the RBC plenum welded back on. This is going to be a serious looking engine bay I can already tell. Nice job 👍
Thanks brother. I hope it looks one-off when it gets done. At least that is the goal. Do you think I should mount the shut off valve before the tee on the rail or before the rail?

Your right I need to get the plenum on the RBC. Getting up with the aluminum welder keeps falling through. It is not costing money. The guy that is doing it works 6 days 10-12 hrs away from his family. Where he works, where I used work a year and half ago... he has 5 kids so I don't stress him getting up there on Sunday to weld it. He is the best aluminum welder I have seen in the past 15 years of being around the best welders in the state of Virginia. He gets to use a welding machine that only a rich company can afford. This one right here to lay beads on my RBC. I don't want 200 individual tiny weld beads on the RBC. I want dimes stacked.... He gets to use a $24,000 Miller Dynasty 700 welding
Miller Dynasty 700 Welder #951403
Comes with:

• 8-ft. power cord (no plug) (350 model)

• Setup DVD and quick reference guide

• Runner™ cart #300244

• Coolmate™ 3.5 #300245 and 4 gallons of coolant #043810

• W-375 torch kit #301268 (350 model) or W-400 (WP-18SC) torch kit #300186 (700 model)

• Remote control #194744 (foot)

The Dynasty 700 is a powerful and compact power source capable welding machine perfect for a variety of high demand applications including precision metal fabrication, heavy manufacturing, maintenance and repair, pipe and tube manufacturing, aerospace, tool and die, and TIG Automation.

It can weld up to 1" aluminum. Compared to traditional welding machines the Dynasty 700 Welder's Total Arc Control provides maximum productivity and weld quality while conserving energy.

The AC TIG Features independent amplitude/amperage control, extended AC balance (controls amount of oxide cleaning), AC frequency (controls width and force of arc).

The DC TIG features an exceptionally smooth and precise arc for welding even the most exotic materials. It also features pulse controls to manage pulse frequency capable of pulsing 5000 pulses per second. Pulsing reduces heat input and adds arc stability.

The STICK features AC/DC. Tailored arc control DIG allows the arc to be changed for specific electrode and applications. Hot Start enables positive arc starts without sticking.

AC frequency control provides additional stability and smoothness when welding in AC.

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
Input PowerRequires 3- or 1-Phase Power
Rated Output500 A at 40 V, 100% Duty Cycle (3-Phase)
450 A at 38 V, 60% Duty Cycle (1-Phase)
Welding Amperage Range5-700 A; Auto-Line - 208–575 V (±10%), 1- or 3-Phase
Net Weight198 lb (90 kg)
PROCESSES
  • TIG (GTAW) DC
  • TIG (GTAW) AC
  • Stick (SMAW) DC
  • Stick (SMAW) AC
  • Air Carbon Arc Cutting and Gouging (CAC-A)
  • Pulsed TIG (GTAW-P) AC
  • Pulsed TIG (GTAW-P) DC
APPLICATIONS
  • Aviation
  • Fabrication
  • Field Maintenance and Repair
  • Manufacturing
  • Pipe Fabrication
View our large selection of Mig, Tig,

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Sky Building Urban design Electricity Gas

This the exact vacuum sphere that inspired me. The grey check valve has high pressure air operating the flapper by pushing on a piston. Then they can release pressure as needed to regulate the vacuum. ref. NASA

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
I used to build these heat exchangers, pressure vessels, industrial piping systems for the government. We have certs they big dogs pay for. Tolerance on the overall length of 30' is 1/16"-1/8". It has to bolt up to there systems. I am a rigger by trade too. Dangerous, Smart Work. That's me in the blue shirt supervising knowing my 40 crane signals lol..... 📢
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
They are getting my EG hatch fuel cooler ready.... 🤣 😂

Guy is seal rolling every tube. Then they will be tig welded as a final seal. We put up curtains splitting it off, then put 2-3 welders up there going off.

Composite material Gas Engineering Automotive tire Circle

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Mesh Automotive tire Font Plumbing Wood

Making a good living for sure. 4 10's then Fri 10-12 OT then Sat 8-10 OT Every week of the year if you want it. I got to spend my free time.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
That's really amazing work, so much pipe ends to weld, which need all to be super leakage free. That's funny, I was simulating huge power plants concepts from a few MW's till GW's for CO2 sequestration while producing electrical power. The cold end (condenser from steam to water) of those is sometimes the most complex production part. In my doctoral thesis I've developed a new design for so called Oxyfuel processes. Power Plant processes where only oxygen is used for combustion to have a steam, CO2 mixture as exhaust gas, which can "easily" separated by condensation. I developed some new design rules for those heat exchangers as well as validated consisting ones, I also invented a new condenser process for those processes. But CO2 sequestration is nowhere of interest, because of the side effects. Anyway, I am happy to read you where actively working in that business. How did you like it?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
That's really amazing work, so much pipe ends to weld, which need all to be super leakage free. That's funny, I was simulating huge power plants concepts from a few MW's till GW's for CO2 sequestration while producing electrical power. The cold end (condenser from steam to water) of those is sometimes the most complex production part. In my doctoral thesis I've developed a new design for so called Oxyfuel processes. Power Plant processes where only oxygen is used for combustion to have a steam, CO2 mixture as exhaust gas, which can "easily" separated by condensation. I developed some new design rules for those heat exchangers as well as validated consisting ones, I also invented a new condenser process for those processes. But CO2 sequestration is nowhere of interest, because of the side effects. Anyway, I am happy to read you where actively working in that business. How did you like it?
I loved working in that business for 12 years. Before that I was a pipefitter, pipewelder, and structrual welder. Those heat exchangers I built from scratch flat SS plate rolled to round, rig up 20,000lb elliptical heads to fit them on. Weld codes, weld procedures we had 70 different certs. I got to work at NASA and build industrial piping systems for them and all kinds of other things. It is a different trade for sure, not the typical plumber and chill water system pipefitter stuff. I loved the quality of work that was demanded and the people that I worked with. I have seen some of the best X-Ray welders, which I am no slack welder, these guys are beyond naturally gifted. I can't work there anymore, too many health issues, it is too demanding on the body and mind. Sure do miss the neat stuff we built. I think the biggest thing we ever produced was over 60,000 lbs. Craziest thing I have seen tig welded was copper.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
I have seen some of the best X-Ray welders, which I am no slack welder, these guys are beyond naturally gifted
Did you also X-Ray welding? Was that the load giving you the issues you suffer now?

Craziest thing I have seen tig welded was copper.
That's challenging, pre-heating, pore handling, pretty challenging stuff...soldering flux allowed?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Did you also X-Ray welding? Was that the load giving you the issues you suffer now?

That's challenging, pre-heating, pore handling, pretty challenging stuff...soldering flux allowed?
no flux allowed tig welding copper. only the best of the best welders can do it. The weld puddle is not really visible, kind of like welding under water or the puddle being under water shifting as it pleases. Sometimes the puddle just drops out and it has to be redone. Copper gets hot quick.

Like today I was tig welding on the OEM fuel rail. I just got two bungs tacked up and that gets hot very fast. I have to work the foot peddle alot to break down the bung then move the puddle over to the thin rail. Challenging, I stopped and realized I need to spend a day getting my touch back. Then go at it again with a fresh approach.

I was not good enough to be an X-Ray welder doing position welds in the field or consistently for money. I passed my 6G X-ray test to be cert'd but that is easy in a test booth verse being on a ladder or in some weird position. If I am cert'd I can tack up things on X-ray work. But it is best to leave that kind of work to the big dogs. Only X-Ray welders that have a 94% and up pass rate are to do X-ray welding in the field or on most jobs. It costs 8 times over when an X-ray joint is failed. Since I am an excellent fitter I did the majority of the X-Ray fitting and fit ups. Poor fit ups cause the welders to fail often.

I do not think gamma rays messed me us that much, the testing crews clear the area when the shoot. Now the amount of metal I have inhaled may have caused issues that I am dealing with now. Carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, chromoly, inconel are all things I have had the pleasure of basically eating and breathing in. I wore 3M protective equipment but not the entire shift. I do not think being around that helped me at all and is causing me additional muscle and nerve pain than I already have to deal with from both ankles being fused, tendonitis in both achilles, restless leg syndrome, chronic pain syndrome, etc. The heart disease Hypertension 2, Afib, and pulse disorder who knows how that came about a decade ago. That scares me the most b/c 180 pulse is stroke level and people like me have to understand where our safety zone or buffer zone is when my afib is at 150 resting god forbid I am attatcked or fall down causing the pulse to jump higher. Not joking around my doctors do not understand just from being mad my pulse goes to 180 plus, I do understand though I just cannot get mad at all costs. I tend to shock nurses and doctors when they go over my medicines - " how do you stay awake?" Umm... I worked full time like this since 2011 like this, not having a choice in the matter that's how. I just learned to deal and not think about it, like forced denial.

To sum it up it sucks at 44 of age the amount of pain I get in my feet, ankles, and legs from such little movement. I went bowling last night and barely did two games. Today I can barely walk around without struggling or needing medicine to feel mentally normal while having chronic pain all day just basically sitting most of the day. I stretch and exercise but there is a limit to that as well. Crumbling bones in the ankles and worn of tendons will test any man or woman to the break.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Wtf is this used for lol
I can only show you a picture of the actual vessel. If I am caught issuing information about it I can be arrested, most of these projects have this clause attatched to them. My name is on a list that can be tracked easily. I hope this doesn't sound corny. I am on a black list due to working there and being around so much top secret protected information. This how the government protects it's porductions.

Here is something that describes :

281 - 300 of 363 Posts