Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
241 - 260 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Thanks dude ! Oem stuff is like gold right now 😅 and everywhere I turn my pockets are tempted towards empty but I’ve been holding fast and sticking to my savings plan while still maintaining a some level of regular purchases 😎
The k20z1 came as a complete motor with a rod knock. I know for sure I need one oem rod to replace the spun one , a good crank and a trip to the machine shop for cleaning and boring to 86.5 or even 87mm along with new pistons (RRC or 12.5:1 ) new steel oil pans for the z1 as well as my k24a4 block .I’ve been thinking the 4piston pump may be better suited to the 2.0 and a regular k20a2 oil pump will suffice for the k24/20 frank.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 · (Edited)
Thanks dude ! Oem stuff is like gold right now 😅 and everywhere I turn my pockets are tempted towards empty but I’ve been holding fast and sticking to my savings plan while still maintaining a some level of regular purchases 😎
I got you brother. What goes around comes around - if I can help you out to save some coin, I will need a part from you one day and you can help me out. I a working on an itemized list for you tomorrow. My idea is visiting my buddy's shop tomorrow and do some gold diggN and write down his stock prices. That way I can help people with parts easier.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
The k20z1 came as a complete motor with a rod knock. I know for sure I need one oem rod to replace the spun one , a good crank and a trip to the machine shop for cleaning and boring to 86.5 or even 87mm along with new pistons (RRC or 12.5:1 ) new steel oil pans for the z1 as well as my k24a4 block .I’ve been thinking the 4piston pump may be better suited to the 2.0 and a regular k20a2 oil pump will suffice for the k24/20 frank.
that will be one sick build. seriously I would be proud to own that engine. The 4Piston TSX pro head is no joke. then with a valve job, and light as shit valves, and beehive springs with Ti retainers. Their is a RRC skat piston that is 11.9 comp. A Mugen (0.4 comp^), and light flat valves (0.3-0.4comp^). That would be nice. forged light weight pistons 12.5 is nice too.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
that will be one sick build. seriously I would be proud to own that engine. The 4Piston TSX pro head is no joke. then with a valve job, and light as shit valves, and beehive springs with Ti retainers. Their is a RRC skat piston that is 11.9 comp. A Mugen (0.4 comp^), and light flat valves (0.3-0.4comp^). That would be nice. forged light weight pistons 12.5 is nice too.
I won’t lie , I can’t afford a 4piston port for the RBB head lol at least not anytime in the near future. But I can at some point put together a nice high comp oem mix match engine with maybe some aftermarket cams and a xcessive center feed. They have some nice options and are the most affordable I see on the market right now besides a hogged out/ported ebay sk2 replica with a 74mm b series tb.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
I won’t lie , I can’t afford a 4piston port for the RBB head lol at least not anytime in the near future. But I can at some point put together a nice high comp oem mix match engine with maybe some aftermarket cams and a xcessive center feed. They have some nice options and are the most affordable I see on the market right now besides a hogged out/ported ebay sk2 replica with a 74mm b series tb.
I’ve been wanting the xcessive for my k24a with either the 74mm or the 80mm Infiniti q45 tb. Again , $700 or so better spent elsewhere currently 🤓

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
I can port the K24 for you. I am very confident in my work. This is why name is B&B Performance. I do contract work and pnp cylinder heads by hand very intelligently do quality work. I study 4Pistons work. I pnp RBC, RRC, RSP, PRC, PRB intake manifolds better than alot of people. I take time making sure each runner is the same, my port matching is very good, by the time I am done with it goes to great. My style of boring TB's is different from many others. I also have a guy Bunner that can do the valvejobs and their seats match the values. saves big money. All this savings going on, you can afford a Hytech header or ASP.

we will contact after I leave my buddys shop tomorrow we weill see parts you may need. Some of the stuff could sell here. we'll talk more about it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
@KBuilt O was out of town, so no new news on used oem parts. He will be there Monday.

I sent a inquiry to jp-carparts.com in Japan for DC5 rear spoiler seal assembly gaskets. I do not know anywhere else to look for them because finding A-Spec parts is hard to do these days. So go the home of the rear spoiler I guess. I must Japanese customer service is the bomb. Hybrid-Racing has good customer service as well. They just need to get some more parts ideas, so I send them a long list of parts i want to see them make lol... They asked for suggestions with a robo mail. but I am sure they read and said - " get a load of this guy" ... "maybe we should hire him"...lol

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
I’ve told myself if I found a good k20 crank before a 24 I would build my z1 block instead with the tsx head ported. Then put the z1 head on my k24a
A wise decision. Don't you have already a K20A2 longblock in your garage shelf?

i know your a family man like me so we can save you some money and eliminate shipping and taxs and wait times for stuff
That's way I like forum, members help members to ease live. We all love our hobby, but have different challenges to live it. Thanks for that pass @Them Witches.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
A wise decision. Don't you have already a K20A2 longblock in your garage shelf?

That's way I like forum, members help members to ease live. We all love our hobby, but have different challenges to live it. Thanks for that pass @Them Witches.
—K20z1 Bare shortblock with the oem pistons and 3 good rods/no crank, k24a4 bare shortblock/no crank (both useable with a light trip to the machine shop ) , complete k20z1 cylinder head —- that’s my list for garage parts lol then the complete k24a running in my car.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 · (Edited)
Oil filter relocation parts came in today. Thought I would mock it up to show yous my thoughts on how it will look. I purchased a high quality Earl's Performance check valve to keep oil 100% going where it is supposed to go. The HAMP oil filters have a built in check valve however I am not putting full stock into that. The filters will wear and I want to keep the oil pressure correct, so that is why I got the extra check valve. The oil filter will be moved to the upper left side of the engine bay to keep the oil supply and return hoses to a minimum length.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Engineering Gas
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Machine

I may have to change the plumbing on the fittings coming off the block. I won't know until I get the engine in. I have enough fittings on hand to do anything lol... And that is because I have eliminated many things in my life that waste money -- bars, 7-11, drugs, expensive clothes. JUST car parts for me.. lol

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Oil filter relocation parts came in today. Thought I would mock it up to show yous my thoughts on how it will look. I purchased a high quality Earl's Performance check valve to keep oil 100% going where it is supposed to go. The HAMP oil filters have a built in check valve however I am not putting full stock into that. The filters will wear and I want to keep the oil pressure correct, so that is why I got the extra check valve. The oil filter will be moved to the upper left side of the engine bay to keep the oil supply and return hoses to a minimum length.

View attachment 105332 View attachment 105333

I may have to change the plumbing on the fittings coming off the block. I won't know until I get the engine in. I have enough fittings on hand to do anything lol... And that is because I have eliminated many things in my life that waste money -- bars, 7-11, drugs, expensive clothes. JUST car parts for me.. lol
So. Do you have a part # for the silver heat tape on the vtec solenoid shield. I want to redo the underside of my hood to match my car better. Lol

·
Registered
289 Posts

View attachment 105332 View attachment 105333

Where can the oil go? The only purpose of a check valve is to stop drain back when the engine is off.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
So. Do you have a part # for the silver heat tape on the vtec solenoid shield. I want to redo the underside of my hood to match my car better. Lol
Design Engineering Cool Tape

Heat Tape, Self Adhesive, Insulating Tape, 1 1/2 in. x 15 ft., Each

Part Number: DEI-010408 $14.99 @ Summit Racing

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
—K20z1 Bare shortblock with the oem pistons and 3 good rods/no crank, k24a4 bare shortblock/no crank (both useable with a light trip to the machine shop ) , complete k20z1 cylinder head —- that’s my list for garage parts lol then the complete k24a running in my car.
Ah, you need a K20A2/Z1/Z3/Z4 crankshaft and a K20Z1 rod (A2 rods may be heavier, I would not mix them if not within 1 g difference). I see your point. Sounds like a junkyard search of a K20Z1 short or long block.

Oil filter relocation parts came in today
Looks nice. What causes the relocation parts, clearance or cooling or both or anything else?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Design Engineering Cool Tape

Heat Tape, Self Adhesive, Insulating Tape, 1 1/2 in. x 15 ft., Each

Part Number: DEI-010408 $14.99 @ Summit Racing
Thanks !
Ah, you need a K20A2/Z1/Z3/Z4 crankshaft and a K20Z1 rod (A2 rods may be heavier, I would not mix them if not within 1 g difference). I see your point. Sounds like a junkyard search of a K20Z1 short or long block.

Looks nice. What causes the relocation parts, clearance or cooling or both or anything else?
That is correct. I will make sure if I use the oem rods that they are weight matched within your recommendation, Thankyou 👍

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·

Thanks LotusElise.

I am doing the oil filter relocation because I hate getting oil on the axles, subframe, and other parts. Easy accessibility is another huge reason. In the future, if I decide to add a oil cooler into that system, I will most like have everything I need.

When I think about cooling and if moving would help keep the oil filter away from the header, then it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
-- Denso 02-04 wideband Air/Fuel Senor pn# 234-9005

-- Mugen 1.3 Radiator Cap pn# 19045-XGER-0000

-- Earl's Performance -12AN weld bung Aluminum PN# 997112ERL
-- Frangolla -16AN x -12AN reducer straight Swivel PN# FRA-49712-BL
-- Frangolla -16AN female, -16AN male PN# 498308-BL
-- Vibrant Performance -12AN 90 degree union PN# 10735

Tires are the only things left to buy besides more Argon weld gas and 75/25 weld gas refills.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Thanks LotusElise.

I am doing the oil filter relocation because I hate getting oil on the axles, subframe, and other parts. Easy accessibility is another huge reason. In the future, if I decide to add a oil cooler into that system, I will most like have everything I need.

When I think about cooling and if moving would help keep the oil filter away from the header, then it is worth it.
This bothers me as well. I try to let it drain as long as I can but there’s always some in the filter that pours over the backside of everything 🤬

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
That is correct. I will make sure if I use the oem rods that they are weight matched within your recommendation, Thankyou
You are welcome. It will help to balance the high engine speed approach engine and keep it revving happy :D.

That's a good idea and approach. At the Lotus Elise engine bay I had no other chance as to relocate the oil filter above the header, but shielded. Also the inline water oil cooler from Laminova is included in that circuit. Easy and clean maintenance as well as a fine option to inline supporter for a clean and conditioned oil.

241 - 260 of 362 Posts