Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a k24 swap EG hatch Civic and I'm very interested in thinking about doing a AWD swap and hopefully with a KraftWerks supercharger for endurance racing. I want the tracking from the awd from a higher hp boosted k24 but looking to see would this setup will be reliable for 8 hour races or an I just dreaming?

If so, which awd system with from a Civic wagon, CRV or element? I'm looking for more of rear wheel bias of course. Let me know what your thoughts or am I crazy to even think about using a awd for endurance road racing?

·
Registered
154 Posts
You'll never get a rear bias from this system. The front is always direct driven with varying degrees of torque distribution to the rear. Best you can do would be 50:50 split.

The dual pump drive system is unlikely to handle 8 hours at race pace without some serious cooling added in. Especially with the supercharger power increase.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll never get a rear bias from this system. The front is always direct driven with varying degrees of torque distribution to the rear. Best you can do would be 50:50 split.

The dual pump drive system is unlikely to handle 8 hours at race pace without some serious cooling added in. Especially with the supercharger power increase.
I guess I will be happy with 50/50 bias. I'm reading on the AWD swap and it looks like the Civic wagon is the way to go but expensive and hard to find now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i don't think it's worth the extra weight for endurance racing, drag racing yes but not for road racing. Fastest time attack hondas are not awd even with tons of power

·
Registered
99 Posts
Extra weight wouldn't be worth it. I run 440hp on my Rotrex'd K20 FWD setup for time attack. I used to run a 205/50/15 on the all 4 corners last year and on track I could put the power down ok in 3rd and above. This year I run a 225/50/15 and it's even better.

Don't think the effort and weight of AWD would genuinely be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extra weight wouldn't be worth it. I run 440hp on my Rotrex'd K20 FWD setup for time attack. I used to run a 205/50/15 on the all 4 corners last year and on track I could put the power down ok in 3rd and above. This year I run a 225/50/15 and it's even better.

Don't think the effort and weight of AWD would genuinely be worth the hassle.
After I though about it, I totally agreed. The cost and weight is not worth it. Currently, I'm running 205/50/15 but looking into either 245/40/15f and 225/45/15r or 225/50/15 is better due to taller tires?

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,238 Posts
Considering the cost and effort of the conversion, suspension and tire upgrades could be had for far less to get much of the desired handling results

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,287 Posts
I have a k24 swap EG hatch Civic and I'm very interested in thinking about doing a AWD swap and hopefully with a KraftWerks supercharger for endurance racing. I want the tracking from the awd from a higher hp boosted k24 but looking to see would this setup will be reliable for 8 hour races or an I just dreaming?
What do you expect from an AWD over an FWD or RWD for your race application?

·
Registered
19 Posts
For endurance racing, I would prioritize simplicity, and ease of "bringing/sourcing a backup ____" and be able to swap a part in should it fail and get back on the track.
Lightweight = fast and less stress on all moving parts.

If there happens to be an endurance dirt course though, now we're talking (fun)!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will give you my 2 cents. I built an AWD EK hatch with a turbo K20a2. it is putting down 400hp at the wheels on 100 octane. I built it for road racing but mostly HPDE events. I am too old and not fast enough to be competitive. :) I just wanted to have fun and give my GT3 a break. Although it has been a lot of fun, there are some downsides. I live in Florida so it gets really hot even with a full size radiator. After a 30 minute session, it is toasty. The car is heavy because of the additional AWD drivetrain. I am at 2600 lbs. and it has no interior. 50/50 bias is not possible with either the Wagon or CRV drivetrain. I have 2 Viscous Couplers that I use. They have different viscosity silicone fluid in them. I switch them out depending on the track. The best you could probably achieve is 60/40 without causing major issues. Fuel is an issue. I am running an 8 gallon fuel cell with surge tank. That and the exhaust are probably the 2 biggest challenges when building an AWD civic. there is a company that makes dual tanks for the stock location but each only holds 5 gallons. You can probably put a larger fuel cell in the trunk area but it ends up pretty high and not ideal for road racing. I put mine low and in the back but i cut some of the spare wheel well to fit it. Lastly, is the cost. No matter what anybody says, to do it right, you are looking at $10k+ just in parts. Although there are some kits available, there is still a lot of fabrication and welding. I agree with the other folks on this board. stick to FWD or RWD. I got a buddy that is selling his track ready S2000. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will give you my 2 cents. I built an AWD EK hatch with a turbo K20a2. it is putting down 400hp at the wheels on 100 octane. I built it for road racing but mostly HPDE events. I am too old and not fast enough to be competitive. :) I just wanted to have fun and give my GT3 a break. Although it has been a lot of fun, there are some downsides. I live in Florida so it gets really hot even with a full size radiator. After a 30 minute session, it is toasty. The car is heavy because of the additional AWD drivetrain. I am at 2600 lbs. and it has no interior. 50/50 bias is not possible with either the Wagon or CRV drivetrain. I have 2 Viscous Couplers that I use. They have different viscosity silicone fluid in them. I switch them out depending on the track. The best you could probably achieve is 60/40 without causing major issues. Fuel is an issue. I am running an 8 gallon fuel cell with surge tank. That and the exhaust are probably the 2 biggest challenges when building an AWD civic. there is a company that makes dual tanks for the stock location but each only holds 5 gallons. You can probably put a larger fuel cell in the trunk area but it ends up pretty high and not ideal for road racing. I put mine low and in the back but i cut some of the spare wheel well to fit it. Lastly, is the cost. No matter what anybody says, to do it right, you are looking at $10k+ just in parts. Although there are some kits available, there is still a lot of fabrication and welding. I agree with the other folks on this board. stick to FWD or RWD. I got a buddy that is selling his track ready S2000. Let me know if you are interested.
How is the setup currently running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
How is the setup currently running?
My AWD setup has been great lately because it has not been as hot. I recently bought a K24a2 because it was a good deal I could not pass up. Depending on how this Spring/Summer goes, I am probably going to get it built to 300-320hp NA. It probably won't be as "fast" as the turbo set up but it will definitely be lighter and not get as hot. My next event is at Roebling in Savannah, GA at the end of March. My last time there I did a 1:21:33 in my GT3. I am taking the Civic to see how it does. Should be fun.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,238 Posts
My AWD setup has been great lately because it has not been as hot. I recently bought a K24a2 because it was a good deal I could not pass up. Depending on how this Spring/Summer goes, I am probably going to get it built to 300-320hp NA. It probably won't be as "fast" as the turbo set up but it will definitely be lighter and not get as hot. My next event is at Roebling in Savannah, GA at the end of March. My last time there I did a 1:21:33 in my GT3. I am taking the Civic to see how it does. Should be fun.
Do you have any pictures or a thread on the build ? Sounds like a very nice project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a few pictures on my instagram. @wally_salem I have not uploaded recently but since the last update, I installed Fortune Auto Coilovers, and larger surge tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts