Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

· Premium Member
6,801 Posts
I never had luck with the old Azenis or the new ones. the old model would hold up to more miles but they both suffered from "greasing out."

3 hot laps on a 2200lb car shouldnt waste the tires. Sure i was over driving the tires, but when they fall off, they are done.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Yeah the falken rt 615 get greasy after they get hot. the dunlop spec star is a more consistent street tire.

· Premium Member
6,801 Posts
when you have a good dry tire it just wont hold up in the wet. anyone that tells you "oh this is great in the rain and awesome in the dry" has never really felt "awesome in the dry."

· Registered
910 Posts
when you have a good dry tire it just wont hold up in the wet. anyone that tells you "oh this is great in the rain and awesome in the dry" has never really felt "awesome in the dry."
HAHA, that's honestly is the truth. I ran Kumho Ecsta XS 215 45 16 at my last track day at around 28psi cold. They gripped pretty well, started to get a little greasy, but nothing like azenis. I would recommend them for someone who wants an inexpensive DRY SUMMER PERFORMANCE tire.

· Premium Member
6,801 Posts
not side by side... which is the best way to do it IMHO.

a lot of the guys in the motorsports club really like the RS3 for track days. some of the guys that have run R comps in the past liked them as a tire just under the Rs

· Registered
22,763 Posts
anyone have any comparison between hankook rs3's vs z1 star specs?? Rain and dry grip?
grassroots oct 2011 issue just did a writeup on rs3's, star specs, re-11's, ecsta xs, proxes r1r, and advan neova ad08's.

word for word quote on star spec:

"weve put in lots of dry laps on this model, which has been our go-to rubber for the past year.looking back over our notes, however, we had virtually no wet lap experience with this tire. Despite that fact, both test drivers felt confident with this Dunlop in the Wet. The tire communicated its capabilities well, and its overall performance felt equal in all directions. Steering response, corner grip, braking, and acceleration traction all worked in harmony."

lap times of star spec:
avg. WET: 62.345 .884 g avg g load
avg. DRY: 56.621 1.141 g avg g load

word for word on Hankook Ventus RS-3 Z222:

"Our dry track superstar forgot to bring its rainy day dance shoes. The confidence we found on it in the dry was gone in the wet, as both drivers complained of abrupt breakaway characteristics.'you have to tip toe on this one', john added (a driver). 'Relatively small slides result in big penalty as you wait for the tire to recover traction."

lap times of rs-3:
avg. WET: 63.440 .864 avg g load
avg. DRY: 55.719 1.181 avg g load

fastest dry tire in the test was the rs3.
fastest wet tire in the test was the star spec coincidentally.

the advan neova was close to the star spec WET time, only .1 off, and the advan was quicker in the dry by .35 on avg.

test car was a miata, typical.

I agree with this writeup too. my only complaint is that I feel the star specs are loud and the rs3 may be too grippy for everyday use, occasionally picking up rocks n such tossing them around in the wheel well. not to mention they wont last long either, whereas my star specs, when they didnt de-tread, lasted about 13,000 miles.

I love the kumho ecsta xs. great in the dry, good tires size offerings, decent tread wear, ok in the rain, but its always predictable. never greasy, doesnt have abrupt 'snap' in loss of traction like the rs3. you can feel when you're going to lose traction and adjust. ecsta xs gets my vote.

hope I helped.

-Col:up:

· Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Love the RS3's. Been running/tracking them for all of 2011 and I can run the same laptimes on RS3's as RA1's and NT01's, albeit, they start heat cycling out after the 4th track event.

Got a buddy running RE11's; pretty damb good grippy tire as well.

Live on the west coast, so i can't really say much about wet weather conditions for these tires...heh

101 - 115 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.