Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

· Registered
22,763 Posts
maybe I think star specs suck because I had bigger and wider hankooks, im not comparing them evenly. i'll have to try them again and compare same sizes. I had 215/45-16's in the rs2's and I loved them. I dunno. now im perplexed. hmmm

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I've been rocking the star spec for quiet some time now
Good tire & now they make it 205-50-15 but i need a wider & stickier tire so hatch is getting body work paint & rolled fenders & quater panels.

I found the hankook r-s3 225-45-15 for same price as the dunlop star spec 205-50-15
Hankook being wider & 140 UTQG makes a better choice.

but since the car is not being a daily driver anymore i can go for these 2 since they cost the same:

Toyo R888 225-45-15 UTQG 100

BFgoodrich R1 225-50-15 UTQG 40

What you guys think go Bf full slicks or toyo semi-slicks
Most people seem to like the toyos!

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah I'm going to order the toyos.
I've been doing some reading seems like the BF R1 don't work well on light chassis.

· Registered
910 Posts
looking for info on tires that can be daily driven but that can be tracked too. which one performs best for it's price.
for the front size: 15" between 205 to 225 something that fits on an EG chassis. price let's say under $130 per tire. as for the rear size could 195/50R15
which one has decent grip & wear
if you guys can recomend other brands & models & give your input, share experiences. that be more than welcome.

Hankook Ventus R-S2
Falken Azenis RT615
Toyo Proxes R1R
Nitto NT01
Nitto NT05
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Kumho Ecsta XS
I can only confirm what others have said about the 615's. However, I just got back from a Seat-Time event at Roebling and I have 215/45/R16 on my DC2 and they held up amazing. The boast a 180 treadwear, which is a little less than the 615's but so much more traction. Very perdictable tire. I've got about 10k on them mostly spirited street driving a 4 days of abuse at Deal's Gap and about 120min of track time on them and not quite to the wear bars! Only about $94 each for my size.

I am definatley in for more info on the other tires!!

· Registered
2,760 Posts
I can only confirm what others have said about the 615's. However, I just got back from a Seat-Time event at Roebling and I have 215/45/R16 on my DC2 and they held up amazing. The boast a 180 treadwear, which is a little less than the 615's but so much more traction. Very perdictable tire. I've got about 10k on them mostly spirited street driving a 4 days of abuse at Deal's Gap and about 120min of track time on them and not quite to the wear bars! Only about $94 each for my size.

I am definatley in for more info on the other tires!!
wut were u running? giving info on tires but not telling people what they were is pointless.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
wut were u running? giving info on tires but not telling people what they were is pointless.
X2
he didn't say which tires he is refering to!

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
the rs-2 is not nearly the same league as the star spec, the rs-2 is a decent tire, cheap, not bad for dd, but not nearly as grippy as the star spec
Yeah i have the star specs now but i'm swapping back my 270 whp engine & that little monster requires more grip. i bought the star specs when the 195 was the only size for a 15" wheel :( but they have amazing grip for the size & price. The star spec are really good & now that they come in 205-50-15 they become a better choice for k swapped cars.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
which ones? I've heard better things about the RA1s than the R888s.

I only track my car and drive it on nice (dry) days, so is there anything better than the RA1s for that? I'm going 205/50/15
I've seen a guy running the r1's at local auto-x in a new civic si & it looked like he had a hard time bringing them up to proper operating temp. Seems like they are more for the road course.

Also i was reading some threads on the porsche & lotus forums & they say the r1s don't work well on a light chassis! Any input?

They said the R888 is king in the wet & a good all around tire.

· Registered
22,763 Posts
which ones? I've heard better things about the RA1s than the R888s.

I only track my car and drive it on nice (dry) days, so is there anything better than the RA1s for that? I'm going 205/50/15
RA1's

they are their grippiest right before they are chorded. So that means when you buy them new, they get better and better and better:up:

· Registered
2,760 Posts
RA1's

they are their grippiest right before they are chorded. So that means when you buy them new, they get better and better and better:up:
nice. i dont know if thats good or scary.

· Premium Member
1,591 Posts
RA1's

thats what I've heard. and I've heard because of this, the tire life is pretty long.

I'm thinking about some 949Racing 6UL 15x8 wheels with some RA1s for the DC2... that would be a good time.

· Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I've seen a guy running the r1's at local auto-x in a new civic si & it looked like he had a hard time bringing them up to proper operating temp. Seems like they are more for the road course.

Also i was reading some threads on the porsche & lotus forums & they say the r1s don't work well on a light chassis! Any input?

They said the R888 is king in the wet & a good all around tire.
has anyone else confirmed this? I mainly road race the car, and heating tires up is definitely not a problem. maybe going 15x8 with RA1s could be too much...

but then again, the RA1 seems to be the standard tire for NASAs Honda Challenge, and of course all those cars are quite light.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
ive seen alot of the spec porsches run r888's and other cars run ra1's I guess it depends on the setup of the course?

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I haven't order the tires yet since the wheel won't be available untill 1.5 months from now
But if you guys consider the r1's are a better bang for the $ then i'll give them a try anyways they cost the same as the R888.

· Premium Member
1,591 Posts
^^^it was the spec tire last season i think...most the porsches guys i talked to don't like the 888's compared to the RA1 and are more then excited to go back to them(RA1's).
see thats what I had heard from a few people. I friend of mine has run both tires on his cars and definitely prefers the RA1s.

are 15x8s wrapped in RA1s too much grip for the back wheels? I mean I can always stiffen up the dampening in the rear.

It's really to set it up to make the back end swing out with my current 205/50/15 Azenis.

Thoughts?

41 - 60 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.