Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

· GoldStar
2,664 Posts
CJM, the Star Spec came out during the last quarter of last year and you've already been through two sets? Are you sure you're not talking about the original Direzza Sport Z1's? Like Froth mentioned, the Star Specs have a different compound. The RS2's may be in the same class as the Star Specs; however, they are not in the same league, being the RS2's are at the bottom-end of the spectrum and the Star Specs being at the top. They really shouldn't be compared comsidering price and performance. Meaning, the RS2's cost way less and don't perform nearly as well as the Star Specs which cost much more.

OP, Best motoring did a comparison of a few of the tires mentioned in this thread including the Star Specs. Check it out here: Ultimate Street Tire Showdown!!.

The Nitto NT-05 should be a looked at also considering their performance and cost (a lot less than the Star Specs).

· Registered
1,816 Posts
The NT05 isn't a bad tire in any way but in this instance to me it isn't much of a worthwhile mention as they don't offer any current size under a 17" and even then the smallest 17" they offer is a 235/40/17 which is a rolling Dia of 24.5" and far too large for even an Integra. Without playing to the smaller market of 15" and 16" I think the true "street" tire performance aspect is lost because they're not being used on the most common vehicles used in Auto-X and HPDE's. If they offered it in a 205 or 195 in 15" and 16" i would have to get a set to try for myself. One tire I am awaiting a set of to test out is the new Kumho Ecsta XS...looks like a great DRY tire but at the cost of less wet handling and more prone to hydroplaning.

-Froth

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
the Dunlop Sport Z1 Star Spec seems to have a more predictable handling they look way more sharp & stable compared to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 in the video posted by 98specR.
link here to same video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IwzKz_2Who

this video is at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2009 show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bICIXmW2AA

what I'm going to do is as far as ordering the dunlop star spec: going to get 195-55r-15 for now to use them in the front. then buy a pair of 16" wheels & order a second pair of star spec sizes 225/50R16 for the front.

what you guys think

· Registered
1,816 Posts
225/50/16 is a rolling diameter of 24.9" and they WILL rub unless you raise the car to near stock height. The only two sizes you can really run are 195/55/15's(rolling Dia of 23.5") and 205/50/16's(rolling Dia. of 24.1") and I would STRONGLY reccommend you purchase four tires instead of just doing two on the front or you won't realize the true performance potential of the tire. The only complaint I have heard of the Star Specs is the lack of size choices...but they make a size I'm willing to run so I could care less at this point.

-Froth

· GoldStar
2,664 Posts
Froth, I'm glad you mentioned that. I completely forgot the smallest size that the NT-05's come in is 235/40/17. Tire size is normally not really a concern to me because the smallest size tire I run on my Integra is 235/40/17, which most performance tires offer, my apologies for the confusion.

On that note, in order to maintain near stock gear ratios for k-series transmissions you want to run around 24.6 diameter tires. So as far as the transmission is concerned 225/50/16 would only be about 1% oversized.

· Premium Member
4,245 Posts
You guys are all crazy. The Star Specs SUCK. I have had 2 sets of them now and they are crap, I hate them.They are on my daily right now. I had 2 where the belts broke on me with about 30% tread left. Star specs are loud too. The Hankook Ventus R2S or RS2 (whatever it is) is way better. I had them 3 times and they were great. Azenis are too soft and greasy as mentioned. I flat spotted mine in a minor lock up, really pissed me off, took forever to wear through. I drive about anywhere from 60-200 miles A DAY. I go through tires.
Doesn't sound to me like you had a set of star specs... Sure you didn't have the regular direzza line of tires? If you actually did, then I would question alignment.

· Premium Member
4,245 Posts
what I'm going to do is as far as ordering the dunlop star spec: going to get 195-55r-15 for now to use them in the front. then buy a pair of 16" wheels & order a second pair of star spec sizes 225/50R16 for the front.

what you guys think
Why are you mixing wheels/tires?

· Premium Member
2,149 Posts
225/50/16 is a rolling diameter of 24.9" and they WILL rub unless you raise the car to near stock height. The only two sizes you can really run are 195/55/15's(rolling Dia of 23.5") and 205/50/16's(rolling Dia. of 24.1") and I would STRONGLY reccommend you purchase four tires instead of just doing two on the front or you won't realize the true performance potential of the tire. The only complaint I have heard of the Star Specs is the lack of size choices...but they make a size I'm willing to run so I could care less at this point.

-Froth
If the fenders were rolled up front would a 225-50-16 fit/work?

· GoldStar
2,664 Posts
If the fenders were rolled up front would a 225-50-16 fit/work?
With the right offset and a fender roller you could get 225's to fit, hell you could get 235's to fit :up::D:up:.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
im just going to throw this out. the 205/50/16 like the one i have is ALOT wider than regular tires. fyi, used it for auto-x and i had a bit of rubbing issues already. my car isnt slammed either. -2.5 and -1.5 camber f/r respectively. car picture can be found in "put face to car " or wutever. put the same rim/tire on my friends eg, and it was non stop rubbing. so the 225's you are looking to get will definitely rub and you will most likely have to roll the fenders.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Why are you mixing wheels/tires?
i was trying to maximize traction. my car is high & i can't drop it much due to my driveway.
I'm ordering the 4 Dunlop 195/55/15 in 2 weeks because i just ordered MT drag radials 225/50/15.
i have 2 sets of 15" wheels plus another pair of 15"s so wheels are not an issue.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm not sure if you have considered them, but the R-S3's are avalible for special order on Tire Rack now, 140 wear rating though!
yeah i saw them but decided to go with the dunlops 195/55/15 for autox/road race & daily driving. this guys got me sold on them plus that jdm video Froth posted shows how good the Dunlops are so can't go wrong plus they are really affordable.
so bought the drag radials for drag when i don't feel like swapping wheels at the drag strip to run full slicks.

buying this drag radials put me out of budget so my pic coilovers gonna have to wait a bit longer :(

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
as far as wheel alignment, what do you guys run with the Dunlop Sport Z1 Star Spec? what's the max negative camber they seem to like?

· Registered
2,760 Posts
i posted mine up in my post. did pretty well. right up there with the cars running kumho v710's and hoosier a6's...

· Registered
1,816 Posts
I run -3 Front camber and -1.5 Rear on my Dunlops, Aslong as you've got good toe angles you won't wear out the tires.

-Froth

· Registered
52 Posts
What toe angle (fr & rr) do you recommend?

I need to get my car aligned in the next few days following a major suspension upgrade (raised, front camber arms, rear camber arms, rear toe arms)...

Based on what I've read so far, for a little dd and a lot of track days :

- 0° in front: the steering input gets the feeling you want to the car anyway...
- a little toe-in in the rear: to keep the rear straight in stretches.

Does it make sense?

BTW, ehen I say "a little dd" its because I drive my car occasionally in the street, but mainly to get to the race track: from a 30mins to a 3h drive depending on where the event is located...

· Registered
22,763 Posts
I HAVE DEFINITELY HAD STAR SPECS! they are on my car as I type as this very f'n second, lol.

I have read the reviews, praises and everything else that compliments them and I just dont like them. I have hydroplaned with them multiple times in a variety of wetness levels on the road, I have flatspotted them, broke 2 belts in the sidewalls, and they dont last long at all either.

Yes I have had 2 sets.... kind of. I wore the front 2 away and then the noticed them riding like shit, taking them off, took them to a tire shop to be told they had the broken belts with about 30% left. The rears have like 60% left. I bought 2 new fronts. STAR SPECS! AGAIN! The newer they are, the louder they seem to be as well. im just not a fan. the sidewalls flex too much it seems for me too. I havent auto-x'd them, but I have beaten on them and they just arent what I thought they would be.

they are 195/55-15's on 15x6.5 wheels. crap. hankooks any day

· Registered
22,763 Posts
you can see the suck right here...

this is them on my wagon. this was clearly before the wagon was totalled. they were not on the wagon at the time of the accident.

only other tires I have ever had worse then these were dunlop sp9000's. I gotta stop buying dunlops on clearance from tire rack.

· Premium Member
4,245 Posts
I'm running the same 195/55/15 star specs on a 15x6.5. Traction seems to be very good. I've been impressed by how well the tires seem to behave when driven hard on the street. I can't comment on their treadlife as I've only had them a few weeks. I've noticed absolutely *NO* abnormal road noise.

So far, the stickiest tire I've used with the exception of my r888's.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.