Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
4,245 Posts
I would not daily drive an r-compound. Between wear and risking picking up a nail, not worth it for such an expensive tire.

The rt-615 will work on the street, but does not hold up on track. It gets greasy in warmer temps. (Had a set, I tried...)

I now have dunlop start spec z1's for daily tires. Chose them because I wanted a street tire good enough to run on a wet track.

I use toyo r888's for track use which is very similar to the nitto nt-01 (nitto is a division of toyo).

For all around, the dunlop or nt-05 would be good choices. The new bridgestone re-11 (correct #?) is supposed to be good as well.

· Premium Member
4,245 Posts
You guys are all crazy. The Star Specs SUCK. I have had 2 sets of them now and they are crap, I hate them.They are on my daily right now. I had 2 where the belts broke on me with about 30% tread left. Star specs are loud too. The Hankook Ventus R2S or RS2 (whatever it is) is way better. I had them 3 times and they were great. Azenis are too soft and greasy as mentioned. I flat spotted mine in a minor lock up, really pissed me off, took forever to wear through. I drive about anywhere from 60-200 miles A DAY. I go through tires.
Doesn't sound to me like you had a set of star specs... Sure you didn't have the regular direzza line of tires? If you actually did, then I would question alignment.

· Premium Member
4,245 Posts
what I'm going to do is as far as ordering the dunlop star spec: going to get 195-55r-15 for now to use them in the front. then buy a pair of 16" wheels & order a second pair of star spec sizes 225/50R16 for the front.

what you guys think
Why are you mixing wheels/tires?

· Premium Member
4,245 Posts
I'm running the same 195/55/15 star specs on a 15x6.5. Traction seems to be very good. I've been impressed by how well the tires seem to behave when driven hard on the street. I can't comment on their treadlife as I've only had them a few weeks. I've noticed absolutely *NO* abnormal road noise.

So far, the stickiest tire I've used with the exception of my r888's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.