Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

441 - 460 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
car sound strong CorrPerformance good job guys
Thanks, we are very proud since it was my first time tuning a Kseries engine on Haltech. We did this exclusively to shut some mouths down there and make people realize that there is other tuning systems out there besides the Hondatas and AEMs.

One other thing a little out of topic, can some one point me to a thread that speaks about proper suspension set up (coilovers/spring rates etc) to set up this car, since it will be mostly used for drag racing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
15% difference between dyno dynamics and dyno jet? never heard anything like that before.

same tune same setup my car made 12% less on a dyno dynamics vs a dynapack...

something is seriously wrong with the mid range on that dyno graph.
I have seen personally from local dyno jet down here that the difference between those dynos are 13-14%

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
I have seen personally from local dyno jet down here that the difference between those dynos are 13-14%
what is up with the extreme power loss in the mid range and peak torque at 8200 rpms?

for example my cartel 4 cam motor with 60mm kinslers and asp 4-1 header.

going off your 13 percent itd be making 190 ft lbs at the selected rpm.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
what is up with the extreme power loss in the mid range and peak torque at 8200 rpms?

for example my cartel 4 cam motor with 60mm kinslers and asp 4-1 header.

going off your 13 percent itd be making 190 ft lbs at the selected rpm.
I am not sure, perhaps there is more in there and I just did not find it this time around. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hey what fuel were you using at the time of that tune on the chart?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
I am not sure, perhaps there is more in there and I just did not find it this time around. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hey what fuel were you using at the time of that tune on the chart?
pump e85 (always tests less than 75%)

·
Registered
15 Posts
91 would make less
All that they have available is pump91 mix it with Torco which claims to put it at 99oct or use leaded C12 & C16

What you recommend for the next time I fine tune this car?

Another thing I was a little skpetic about getting every last ounce of power on the engine since the only miles that it had where the ones we put on it during the dyno tuning session.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
All that they have available is pump91 mix it with Torco which claims to put it at 99oct or use leaded C12 & C16

What you recommend for the next time I fine tune this car?

Another thing I was a little skpetic about getting every last ounce of power on the engine since the only miles that it had where the ones we put on it during the dyno tuning session.
something is seriously wrong in the mid range vtc, exhaust or intake. sounds like you can get VP fuel see if they can order Q16. c16 if not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
something is seriously wrong in the mid range vtc, exhaust or intake. sounds like you can get VP fuel see if they can order Q16. c16 if not.
Thanks for pointing that out on the midrange. I will get back to this vehicle and address this. (lol) you make it sounds like there are rods and pistons that will be coming out if the mid range is not fixed.

Appreciate your input and will see if we can get some C16 and see what we can improve upon.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out on the midrange. I will get back to this vehicle and address this. (lol) you make it sounds like there are rods and pistons that will be coming out if the mid range is not fixed.

Appreciate your input and will see if we can get some C16 and see what we can improve upon.

Cheers
its not the that the motor will blow up its that its very unhappy. thats not how all motor engines produce power.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Link to a run on the dyno

260whp on DD = 299whp on a DJ

K24 botttom end K20z1 head
Wiseco 12.5CR pistons, Manley rods, ACL bearings
Crankshaft balanced and micropolished
Bottom end assembled in Panamá
Supertech valve train and head built by Central NC Speedshop, RLZ ported head
ASP header, Drag Cartel stage 4 camshafts
Haltech Platinum Pro
ID 850cc on 91oct + Torco
Toda Chain tensioner
Ktuned fuel rail, traction bar, shifter, etc
90mm TB
Wireworx Stage 3 harness

A street pass that night after being tuned.
made around same power as my motor above with s2stage3 cams mine was mapped on dyno damnics as well

·
Registered
29 Posts
so what's a good header to go with now? I see a few companies that had good headers stopped making them etc. So many mixed opinions, just looking for a good medium, would like more midrange. These are my most current dyno sheets the 1st graph was in mid 70 degree weather, the 2nd graph was in mid 80 degree weather, only change was the intake manifold. 1st dyno graph is a actual tune, 2nd graph is a Kpro baseman
The final numbers for the second graph was 207whp and 147trq after very minor fuel changes for safety of the motor nothing else was touched, these were on 2 different dynos though.

Stock 2004 K20A2 Longblock
Stock PRC intake manifold, DC CAI, Unknown Race header (maybe ebay) 3in crush bent exhaust, Kpro tuned

Stock 2004 K20A2 Longblock
RRC intake manifold, DC CAI, Unknown Race header (maybe ebay) 3in crush bent exhaust, Kpro "basemap"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thread revival with a first post, going in deep. Hopefully this is interesting enough not to be attacked.

I've got an exhaust manifold. I think it's a nice one.

Everyone likes photos:

Measurements of the manifold are:

Port size is oval and 37x42mm.

Primaries have an ID of 46mm, and 1:500, 2:524, 3:525 and 4:534mm lengths. The lengths are crudely measured with a piece of packing strap put through the centre and pulled tight, so not exactly accurate as it would be taking the path of least resistance. Even my measuring devices take the racing line y0. Primary 1 has the most bends, so the most to 'save' by taking the 'racing line y0'. I'm happy to say they're pretty much equal length.

Secondaries merge to an ID of 57mm and from the point where the primary ends inside the slip joint, to where it merges, is 200mm. Does that make the primary length on number one, 725? Or is the primary measurement to the beginning of the merge?

I didn't measure the ID 57mm piece, but from photos it looks a little less than 200.

The merge length of the final collector is also 200mm, going into a the start of the exhaust, which is 73mm.

Have I explained this properly? and more importantly, what do people think about the design?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,758 Posts
What about that idea?

Nice and very special header :D, Kevin85!

...Port size is oval and 37x42mm.
That's exact the measurement of the exhaust ID of the cylinder head exhaust port :up:. Also seems to have hot gas resistant material or thickness change or just to shape the oval form more easy (around 40 mm beyond flange) - seems :D

Primaries have an ID of 46mm,...
That's a pretty good number, similar to Joe's one.

...and 1:500, 2:524, 3:525 and 4:534mm lengths.
A 10 mm lengths difference is ok (personally I wouldn't be satisfied :D)...maybe the pipes are better than the measurement technique :D...from the absolute lengthes it seems to be designed for better midrange VE.

...Secondaries merge to an ID of 57mm and from the point where the primary ends inside the slip joint, to where it merges, is 200mm. Does that make the primary length on number one, 725? Or is the primary measurement to the beginning of the merge?
If you have mesured it from exhaust valve up to the point where both centerlines cross each other...yes. But as you didn't, the primaries are thermodynamically around 815 mm long. Fabricator would say yes, they are 725 mm long :D.

...ID 57mm piece, but from photos it looks a little less than 200.
Wow, that's a huge secondary ID...will cost some ponies in the lower midrange. Maybe a 88x99 could utilize that because of it's higher mass flux?!

...The merge length of the final collector is also 200mm, going into a the start of the exhaust...
So we get around a 400 mm secondary...

Have I explained this properly? and more importantly, what do people think about the design?
In terms of engine needs, I still searching in my brain which engine size could utilze good VE from that design...mmmhhhh...what I can quickly say it will give you a peaky torque curve when using a K20, as in terms of flat torque line it will suffer with it. Low VE at lower midrange, huuuuge midrange and quick decrease of VE in the high end. Maybe a big displacement K-engine could cover that better.

K-series engines like short primaries (4-2-1 systems), because of the high engine speed character, also short secondaries for the same reason.

Just an idea:
if you go to Hytech or search at burns stainless asking for a 4-1 merger, the system could be bettered for the K-series character...converting that 4-2-1 system in a broader higher displacement (= lower redline) 4-1 system :D

Just my :twocents:

441 - 460 of 472 Posts