Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Joe specked an exhaust manifold for me and I picked up 12 hp and 3 ft tq it was a toda manifold I hade before the one joe specked for me my tq spiked later than before but held for longer up high in rpm much better now thanks joe R.I.P

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
good to hear ^ any chance you can post up a comparison graph?

I will be testing a (JoeMac spec) modified choke Rcrew header in the near future. I may cut the primaries down a couple of inches & retest as well. I'll be sure to share the results.

·
Registered
269 Posts
this is joes manifold he specked for me after mapping

this is a toda manifold

also set up is honda ep3 k20/k24 engine
Ecu, hondata kpro Fuel is 95 ron
head work; skunk2 stage 3 cams with dc5 50 degrees cam gear, supertech valve springs ,spring base and retiners, supertech collets,supertech valves stem seals, supertech dished valves std size,supertech bronze valve guides Arp head bolts,honda main dealer k24 head gasket, small skim to head to clean up,no porting done

58mm tapered to 50mm & ported Xcessive K-Pro intake manifold with 58mm velocity stacks, q45 trottle body 84mm id, 84mm id pipe with 150mm velocity stack & filter
hondata intake gasket, 550cc grams injectors walbro 255 fuel pump

Bottom end; k24 block& crankshaft & timing chain,chain guides,dip stick. dc5 oil squirter,modified oil pump to suit k24 block, dc5 oil pump chain,dc5 crank sensor,knock sensor,water pump & thermostat housing,oil cooler . supertech high comp piston & rings 12.5.1, 87m bore , h beam rods,arp bolts,acl rod and main bearings , all new gaskets honda main dealer s2000 oil filter new chain & tensioner,new oil pressure switch, dc5 sump & baffle plate, crv drivers side mount bracket

Exhaust, modified toda manifold to suit, custom 76mm cat back

dc5 Gear box,mfactory diff, exedy stage 2 clutch & dc5 lightened flywheel

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
So I did some header testing - I will post the complete graph sometime this coming week. Special thanks to Steve @ QuantumRaceWorks

Old: (solid line) custom long tube (small) HyTech header (2.125" choke) vs New: (dotted line) Rcrew replica (big tube) with a custom 2.375" choke. I lost a significant amount of midrange power for some gain all the way up top. I will note the hytech used about 5+% less fuel in the pretty much everywhere - even when making more power.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good example of different headers for different purposes. The new modified r-crew would probably be the one to have (of the two) if you where revving a lot more (10k rpm dragrace engine).

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,758 Posts
Thanks for sharing your test bench results :up:. Is this, concerning cams and intake, setup the same as you posted there?

I wonder why both 4-2-1 header designs don't follow the firing order of the most used one (1-3-4-2), even not to the alternativ of a inline 4-cylinder (1-2-4-3). Are the tube lengthes of primary and secondary so long, that influencing of oscilatting pressure amplitudes does not occur?

By the way, which one is the Hytech one? I guess the lower one...

·
Registered
225 Posts
So I did some header testing - I will post the complete graph sometime this coming week.

Old: (solid line) custom long tube (small) HyTech header (2.125" choke) vs New: (dotted line) Rcrew replica (big tube) with a custom 2.375" choke. I lost a significant amount of midrange power for some gain all the way up top. I will note the hytech used about 5+% less fuel in the pretty much everywhere - even when making more power.
Is this k20 or k24?

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Thanks for sharing your test bench results :up:. Is this, concerning cams and intake, setup the same as you posted there?

I wonder why both 4-2-1 header designs don't follow the firing order of the most used one (1-3-4-2), even not to the alternativ of a inline 4-cylinder (1-2-4-3). Are the tube lengthes of primary and secondary so long, that influencing of oscilatting pressure amplitudes does not occur?

By the way, which one is the Hytech one? I guess the lower one...
Yes, the hytech is the lower one. I am not sure on the pairing - I know john (hytech) states that he is able to use the oscillating pressure to improve scavenging. We may be evident by the fact it can make a quite a bit more TQ with less fuel. HyTech is pair 1&2 and 3&4 while the rcrew is 1&3 and 2&4.

Is this k20 or k24?
It's a older Jdm k20a Stock bottom end, cams, RRC and 2.5" exhaust. A while back I tested a 3.0" exhaust with negligible gains. I may revisit that test with the big tube header.

I am also thinking of cutting about 2.0" off the primaries on the rcrew and retesting.

Eventually I will build a header more to Joes liking with 1&4 and 2&3 pairing

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,758 Posts
...I am also thinking of cutting about 2.0" off the primaries on the rcrew and retesting.
In that case it would be recommendable to do a pairing of 1&4 and 2&3 to get a aqui timed time distance between the oszillating waves, as they get early together...but as Joe shared, the difference is in between a monadic range of hp and a lot of more work to match them together ;)...concerning shortening Joe's experience seems to be the shorter the better, as the test results showed no troque loss anywhere for lengthes of....I believe you know more about Joe's NA headers...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes, the hytech is the lower one. I am not sure on the pairing - I know john (hytech) states that he is able to use the oscillating pressure to improve scavenging. We may be evident by the fact it can make a quite a bit more TQ with less fuel. HyTech is pair 1&2 and 3&4 while the rcrew is 1&3 and 2&4.

It's a older Jdm k20a Stock bottom end, cams, RRC and 2.5" exhaust. A while back I tested a 3.0" exhaust with negligible gains. I may revisit that test with the big tube header.

I am also thinking of cutting about 2.0" off the primaries on the rcrew and retesting.

Eventually I will build a header more to Joes liking with 1&4 and 2&3 pairing

Odd, the skunk2 megapower pairs 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, and skunk2 mentioned this resulted in the best power according to them. Granted it's just a simple OTS header but it definitely works better than any other OTS si header.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Link to a run on the dyno

260whp on DD = 299whp on a DJ

K24 botttom end K20z1 head
Wiseco 12.5CR pistons, Manley rods, ACL bearings
Crankshaft balanced and micropolished
Bottom end assembled in Panamá
Supertech valve train and head built by Central NC Speedshop, RLZ ported head
ASP header, Drag Cartel stage 4 camshafts
Haltech Platinum Pro
ID 850cc on 91oct + Torco
Toda Chain tensioner
Ktuned fuel rail, traction bar, shifter, etc
90mm TB
Wireworx Stage 3 harness

A street pass that night after being tuned.

421 - 440 of 472 Posts