Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on using an S2000 cluster and K20Z3 trans in my EF, has anyone done this successfully so far? I won't need the Hybrid Racing VSS speed converter, but I do wonder how the cluster will get a signal since the 05-06 trans only sends VSS to the ECU, not ECU and cluster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So uh, here's more details about the car, if it helps:

Engine: K20A3
Trans: K20Z3
Engine Harness: K20A2
ECU: K20A2 w/KPro
Cluster: S2000
Chassis: 1988 Civic

·
Registered
22 Posts
that's some good info completely relating to the topic - thanks chief :up:
no problem man I have an 07 si there was a TSB on the third gear grind on this transmission ! some have experienced the final drive set breaking on them as well !!! my final drive is on its way out this transmission is so unpredictable !

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I have a 07 SI as a daily driver. 3rd gear sucks ass seriously!!! I still havent taken the car to the dealer for the tsb!!! It doesnt fully engage sometimes and can pop out of 3rd gear! I hold it in third till it fully engages! I do hope you get the cluster to work!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
99% of the problems with this trans is due to the driver. you have to drive the car gently shifting under 3k rpm till shes warmed up. i have an 06 si ive owned it since 17k miles and there is 51k miles on it now.....never had any problems with the trans

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
dude the k20z3 transmission has alot of problems (grinding gears) i would open it up and rebuild if i were you
that's some good info completely relating to the topic - thanks chief :up:
no problem man I have an 07 si there was a TSB on the third gear grind on this transmission ! some have experienced the final drive set breaking on them as well !!! my final drive is on its way out this transmission is so unpredictable !
Sarcasm is so hard to interpret over the internet....
Wow, and I thought everyone would rip on my use of a K20A3, not the Z3 trans o_O
Had you put it in the first post, then yes... But eventually the comments will roll in.....

Why an A3 anyway?

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
99% of the problems with this trans is due to the driver. you have to drive the car gently shifting under 3k rpm till shes warmed up. i have an 06 si ive owned it since 17k miles and there is 51k miles on it now.....never had any problems with the trans
Thats good that you are one of the very few people with no problems!:up: But It is a huge problem in the 8th gen SI community! Dealers are fixing the problem on 06-07 SIs. I dont even race or shift crazy (its a slow car anyway) in that car I just use it as a commuter and it still has the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i did forget to add that i have twm cable bushings, twm base bushings, twm short shifter, and ALEX shift change springs which were all done shortly after buying the car. but still...ive driven many 06+si's and ive never ever had any kinda problem unless it was lazy shifting. 3rd gear does feel sloppy going in on all the ones ive driven but you just have to be sure of positive engagement before releasing the clutch. just my $.02

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
i did forget to add that i have twm cable bushings, twm base bushings, twm short shifter, and ALEX shift change springs which were all done shortly after buying the car. but still...ive driven many 06+si's and ive never ever had any kinda problem unless it was lazy shifting. 3rd gear does feel sloppy going in on all the ones ive driven but you just have to be sure of positive engagement before releasing the clutch. just my $.02
Yup Im running the base bushings and shifter cable bushing as well thought it would help and it didnt! I have owned 4 hondas in the last 11 years none of them sticked like this! Mine doesnt pop out like some but man its anoying when I have to force it into 3rd on normal driving. I hardly ever if ever get on the SI!!! My type S tranny is a hell of alot better than my SI tranny. I love the gear ratios in the SI no doubt but third gear is trash! I have alot of SI buddies who all have the same problem and are getting there 3rd fixed for free! They corrected this problem in the 08-09 civic SIs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup Im running the base bushings and shifter cable bushing as well thought it would help and it didnt! I have owned 4 hondas in the last 11 years none of them sticked like this! Mine doesnt pop out like some but man its anoying when I have to force it into 3rd on normal driving. I hardly ever if ever get on the SI!!! My type S tranny is a hell of alot better than my SI tranny. I love the gear ratios in the SI no doubt but third gear is trash! I have alot of SI buddies who all have the same problem and are getting there 3rd fixed for free! They corrected this problem in the 08-09 civic SIs.
How did Honda correct this, new synchros, 3rd gear set, or what? Do you have the TSB info online somewhere?

·
Registered
31 Posts
they claim its fixed in the 08-09 but there are a lot of people that still claim they have it. like i said ive never driven one with the problem so i dont know what its all about but i know over at 8thcivic there are a lot of claims.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Shaun,
since you have the 02-04 harness, and the 02-04 ecu, I see no issues here, the vss wire goes from the sensor, and branches to the interior, and to the ecu... You are fine, if you had a z1 harness (which you dont) that harness would not have the vss wired to the ecu, but you are fine in this case, thats why I told you to get what you got.
-R

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shaun,
since you have the 02-04 harness, and the 02-04 ecu, I see no issues here, the vss wire goes from the sensor, and branches to the interior, and to the ecu... You are fine, if you had a z1 harness (which you dont) that harness would not have the vss wired to the ecu, but you are fine in this case, thats why I told you to get what you got.
-R
Awesome, thanks again Ryan :dance:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts