Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you guys deal with the rattles and shakes of the K-swap? Mine has different rattles at every different RPM. A freind took apart my dash and solved a few but I was wondering if there's any generic problem spot rattle that you guys can think of and perhaps what you guys did remedy it or do most of you guys just put up with it and call it a day?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Having a k swap is not about luxury speed it's about performance speed.
EXACTLY...This swap has nothing to do with comfort, not even close to it.

I love my swap so much, and the rattles are actually a part of the experience. I love them!!

Maybe it's because I have another DD

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
it all depends on the stiffness of the mounts bushings
60A bushings won't rattle but as I've seen it the motor moves to much & the back mount rubber brakes after one year if the little 4 banger is putting a good amount of torque which I've seen a few k20a2 kill them 60a back mount bushing specially the avid ones :down:.

75a is what most people get & that's why it vibrates. the engine doesn't rock back and forward like the more daily driving friendly 60a polyurethane bushings
but if you want it to be fast & race it. you gotta scarify some comfort for performance.
if you wanna cruse just stick with your stock single cam & save yourself some $$,$$$.

yeah i got 75a it rattles, vibrates, you name it, my rear view mirror is useless at idle & i re-torque my mounts every 2 weeks but the sucker puts a smile on my face every time i step on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually have the 62A ( softest) Hasport mounts already and you can't make that engine budge at all. Perfect for the track but what a lot of noise. I actually had someone do the swap so I didn't know what mounts I had and then I ordered the softest and it turned out to be what I already had. Anyways, I'm going to most likely drop off the car and have a shop deconstruct and secure everything asbest they can. Any little bit helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just finished my swap about 3 weeks ago, with the 75A mounts... and yep, it rattles, vibrates, resonates, like crazy.

Like a poster above said, something else rattles at every different rpm. And different things will rattle depending on the temperature outside.

My license plate is currently making a lot of noise. I need to come up with a solution for it, as my car is gutted in the back, so it is damn annoying.

·
Registered
152 Posts
oohhh god

Im not looking forward to rattling the crap out of me at traffic lights :wow:

It will be worth it i guess

What method you guys using to stop dash rattle??

·
Registered
755 Posts
for me, at first i hated it. but then ive gotten use to it. the vibration aint really a problem though because all that is, is like a bass vibration from an amp and speakers or something which is nothing. but then i noticed maybe 2500 rpm, the plastic cover behind my steering wheel had a real loud rattle, so i stuck some duct tape in between and solved that problem, and now i notice the whole plastic dash thingy in the rear where the speakers are (i have a coupe) rattle too.

so thats what im going to do here today, is get rid of that rattling. once i fix one rattle, later on another one comes. oh and yeah, my hood latch rattled the worst. it was like a jackhammer going on my hood. so i taped that up with electrical tape, and its good.

rattling is what bothers me. vibration is cool though. i like having a massage car. lol

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
You are going to rattle/buzz with poly engine mounts... Its just part of life...

Do the basic stuff like don't keep loose change in the change tray or the cup holders. Put pieces of 3m double side tape ont he backside of the gauge bezel, etc.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
lol what we go through with this K-swaps lol
i think the vibrations @ low rpm has a lot to do with the type-s oil pump cause we put all type-s parts to an ep3 engine but kept the stock ep3 oil pump with the balance shafts & it is really smooth but we can't rev it past 7600 rpm with that oil pump:(

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you put a bigger, better motor in a car, with nearly solid mounts, it's going to rattle...A LOT. I just deal with it, i put door panels in to help dampen a little, but otherwise i just deal. It never bothers me, just the gf. :cool:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i get alot of rattles too , gotta sacrifice somewheres to go fast , lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First above zero day here in TO in I can't even remember so I decided to start the K just to lube it up so to speak and viola! found another huge source of rattle. Of all things it's the glove box.

Has anyone found a way to secure it? I haven't really looked at it but when I'd open and close it seeme dto take care of "one"of the more predominant rattles. I'll look more at it in the spring as that may be the only next above zero temp day I see. At any rate, it was joy to my ears and I'm looking forward to finding a way to shit that one up for good!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts