Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a del sol that I have just started to rip into, but I have a complete k20z3 on the way. I inquired with K-tuned about shifter setup and they recommended that for spirited daily/rare track use to go with their billet tsx/accord shifter, however I haven't been able to find a way to mount that shifter in the del sol. Has anyone done this? looking for tips/advice or if anyone thinks I would be fine with their no cut z3 shifter.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Get a width measurement on the shifter. The del sol tunnel is a little narrower and taller than the civic is. Off hand I would have to guess that a no cut shifter should fit fine. The top mounting provisions are the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a width measurement on the shifter. The del sol tunnel is a little narrower and taller than the civic is. Off hand I would have to guess that a no cut shifter should fit fine. The top mounting provisions are the same.
I didn't know if something like the karcepts mount for the rsx shifters could be made, I work in metal fab so that's not the issues, just didn't know if it was possible, and what I would have to watch out for when making said bracket to ensure proper shifting. I know the no cut z3 shifter would work, but they said it really isn't designed for track use, but as little as I go to the track I'm not sure if out would hold up or not with my rare track use.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
There is a diy for modding a karcepts adapter. Hell I'll sell my modded one if that is what you are after. I'm going with an old rcrew one anyway

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I don't have the mods documented as well as I do for an EF chassis, but here is the gist of it:

You will have to grind a lot off of the sides of the main mount to fit in the tunnel. (Sorry I don't have any before pics...)

You will have to grind a little bit off the rear mount to fit as well. Luckily, the Del Sol and EG/EK/DC2 all share the same stock shifter mounting position bolt pattern, so getting the kit to fit in the proper location is not an issue.

In the $50 fee, I would cut out and silicone in additional sheet metal to provide a sealed enclosure from the outside elements and exhaust heat. Here are two pieces I would fab up for the rear mount.

I would silicone these in place here, and when you got the part, after bolting it to your chassis, you would then silicone around the outer edges.

I do the same for some of the sides and the front portion of the kit. Again, I apologize for not having more pics of this.

If you decided you wanted to tackle the modifications yourself, you could probably get away without the additional sheet metal that is used to seal up the kit. The reason I say this is because the Del Sol tunnel is much higher than that of an EG/EK/DC2. Your exhaust will be pretty far away (2"+) and I would assume it to be difficult for debris or water or whatever to sneak up in your console area. Of course, it's always better to be safe than sorry. If you didn't seal the kit up, you might choose to at least use some exhaust wrap on the portion of exhaust directly under the Shifter Mounting Kit to eliminate any unwanted heat transferring into your cockpit. The heat transfer will be much less than say an unsealed EG/EK/DC2, but on a really hot day driving for long hours, you may notice your console area getting a bit toasty.

One last thing to note!!!! Here you can see the finished product in a Del Sol:

Because of the higher shifter/exhaust tunnel on a Del Sol, your shift knob will be positioned a little higher than you would observe on an EG/EK/DC2 with this kit. Because of this, I recommend using an 01+ Civic (non-Si) shifter box. The 01+ Civic (non-Si) box will shift a 6 speed no problem, as it's functions with cable motion are no different than an RSX-S box. The only difference with the Civic box vs. the RSX-S box is that the shift lever is about an inch shorter, positioning your shift knob in a better location than what is shown (The picture shows an RSX-S shifter box installed). The great thing about this for Del Sol users is that the 01+ Civic (non-Si) shifter box sells for only $40 new from Honda!

Hope this helps...
Here is the diy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts