Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased both, the Honda oem Z1 / Type R crankshaft pulley and a VMS Racing Z1 / Type R Aluminum crankshaft pulley (pn# CP537). The VMS billet aluminum crank pulley weights 1.3lbs and looks to be a killer part for $78. The PRC crank pulley weights 4.4lbs ( I believe that is very close ). Has anyone had good or bad experience running a lightweight crankshaft pulley on accessories or the engine? Thanks in advance.

I am running a K20a Type R flywheel, so I thought the VMS would free the crankshaft up some more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is the link on the VMS Billet Aluminum crankshaft pulley

!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would not recommend it. The OEM pulley is heavy and has that rubber strip for a reason- to absorb the crank’s vibrations to keep from breaking the crank or ruining the bearings. I have known people who have used those lightweight crank pulleys and they have ended up ruining their crank bearings within 20K miles. Realistically, the gains just aren’t there either. With all the weight of the crank, rods, cams, clutch or converter, other pulleys, alternator that spins at 3X engine RPM, etc, saving 3 pounds on the crank pulley just is not significant when you consider the potential consequences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts