Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Sorry for creating yet another thread about quiet exhausts, I'm looking for info specific to my setup.

I've got a 92 civic EG with a K20A2 swap. I track it and daily drive it.

I'm trying to find the best compromise between power and noise. My current setup is this:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

I've tried 2.5" but the performance hit is too big, so I went back to 3". Unfortunately I get pulled over all the time and this has to stop. So I've been considering the following :

1) a 3" chambered muffler
2) a 3" turbo muffler
3) a 2.5" twin loop muffler, as I hope it would not hurt performance too much being this far away from the engine ?
4) a second resonator, maybe Vibrant Ultra Quiet ? I don't have any rasp, not sure if it will help with noise

My options for the muffler are limited since I have a sway bar, the can should not be longer than 300mm. Before doing anything else... Where would my money be best spent ? Any specific options in mind ? I'm struggling to find anything that'll fit.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Varex is not an option for me as I would leave it on silent mode all the time anyway. I forgot to mention I got warnings at the track as well so I would never have the opportunity to switch the Varex muffler to straight through mode. It's best if I can find a simpler solution to definitely quiet things overall.

Do you have any other options in mind ?

·
Registered
Lotus Elise K20A2
1,382 Posts
then you need to use your available space for muffler volume. The middle section right after the manifold looks like is has way more space than this tiny muffler.
The exhaust tip can be pointed downwards. That helps with track noise measurements as a significant part of the sound is radiated upwards.
The there is the option ta add short chambers to absorption mufflers. 2.5-3" length, no pipe in the middle, full diameter of the muffler. 2bular in UK builds these. Each chamber cuts the noise by about 3db without creating any back pressure. I use a single chambered version, friends use the dual chambered version on their JRSC K20 Elise. They are really quiet despite 2.5" diameter.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,142 Posts
Unfortunately none of their mufflers seem to fit as I need the body to be no bigger than 300mm. I'm considering the resonator though...
they are packed densely and really do help with sound quality unlike the fart can experience

·
Registered
Lotus Elise K20A2
1,382 Posts
decently sized 100CPSI cat won't cost any detacable power, but cause less stink for the drivers behind you.

In the end, you need muffler volume, no matter what technology. With that 1ft can there is only so much damping you can do for a 200HP engine.

There is tons of space in the middle tunnel. Just 1-2 more absorption dampers in the path with a as big diameter and length as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts