Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my k20 put down 480 hp on the dyno which, is alot more than stock but I looked alot at other peoples setups and i was expecting more...

My setup is this:
K20a3 stock bottom end
k20a2 ported head
A.R.P. head studs
Full race twin scroll turbo kit
Gt4094r
ais w.m kit
Bosch 1000cc injectors
G.E. fuel rail
aeromotive fuel system with return line
K-Pro
hondata I.M. Gasket

Running 93 octane fuel
100% octane methanol with 8gph injector
18psi of boost

I wanted to run 20+ PSI but my tuner says the AIS kit is not working correctly (which i dont beleive) so they wont raise it above 18psi.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i don't think i would push it much more with a stock a3 bottom.

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
I think you should be happy with the power that the car made.. The K20a3 bottem end is a real POS bottom end. Why do you want to run more than 20psi with that bottom end?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone have a problem with the ais system? as far as i can tell my tuner is the only people who don't like it...

·
Registered
605 Posts
If I were you I would get rid of the meth inj. and get a a2 crank, oil pump and some after market rods and pistons and you will be able to much more power safely.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was planning on haveing blueprint make a blueprinted bottom end but i blew out my second gear last year so that $ went to a new tranny... but why do you say get rid of the meth kit?

·
Registered
605 Posts
i never run one myself but the few i seen half the time weren't working correctly. seems easier to just put race gas in and ride.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i never run one myself but the few i seen half the time weren't working correctly. seems easier to just put race gas in and ride.
yea that makes sense, but race fuel as far as i can tell is hard to find in my area and expensive to ship. methanol is too but the meth is only sprayed when the ecu is in high boost mode. ( which limits its use ) and allows me to drive the car without it in low boost mode.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Of course we sell water methanol kits and our position on them is obvious. However, as far as reliability goes. Our systems are extremely reliable and consistent. Not only that a water methanol injection system can add a huge safety net to any engine. We have lots of shops and customers who wouldn't run without one of our kits.

When you look at what it has to offer its hard to ignore the obvious benefits that the system offers. Let me know whats going on with your kit and what sort of problems you are having?

Rodney

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rodney, I agree with what your saying, the kit I got from you is nice, that is partially why I started this thread. becasue it doesn't seem like my tuner knows much about it and i feel like they might be leaveing some un-used power in the engine because they dont trust the kit. I know that your kit is quality and I'm not questioning that... I am just trying to find out how much power is being left un-used becouse they wont use the kit to its potential...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rodney, I agree with what your saying, the kit I got from you is nice, that is partially why I started this thread. becasue it doesn't seem like my tuner knows much about it and i feel like they might be leaveing some un-used power in the engine because they dont trust the kit. I know that your kit is quality and I'm not questioning that... I am just trying to find out how much power is being left un-used becouse they wont use the kit to its potential...
I gotcha. Ok, so how much timing are you running total when in boost and whats your air fuel look like? Its all in the tune and sometimes its just a matter of the tuner not knowing how to tune for it and set up it up safely.

Rodney

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know the answer to either of those questions yet because the car is still at the tuners.

·
Registered
97 Posts
480!! on a stock a3! is very impressive. you should be very happy.:up: 18psi on a gt40r is high for the whp you put out but a3's dont make as good of numbers as a2 z3's ect. please post up some dynocharts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Theres different ways to reach the same power goal. So just cause it took 18PSI to make your power doesn't mean somthings wrong or the tuner doesn't know what hes doing, it means that he decided to play it safe and use boost to make the power instead of more timing advance. You should thank him for this. I see cars all the time where somone made 500HP at 14-15psi.. Cars that are tuned with more timing and less boost on pump gas are at a greater risk of premature failure then cars that are tuned light on the timing and heavy on the boost. Power is power, you obviously have a conservative tune which will probably keep your motor together for a good while. Now if your on race gas and this is a full drag car then its a different story.

As far as water meth goes. I like it for some motors, and others i don't. I really wouldn't use it on a K series. With a nice conservative tune you really shouldnt need it unless theres just some issue with your motor, or your one of those guys wants every last little HP you can squeeze at the risk of reliability...

Now if this was a subaru motor then I'd say screw the nozzle just stick the hose in the intake and turn on the pump ;) ...

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
My SCK20A3 didn't hold together very long after I boosted......

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Theres different ways to reach the same power goal. So just cause it took 18PSI to make your power doesn't mean somthings wrong or the tuner doesn't know what hes doing, it means that he decided to play it safe and use boost to make the power instead of more timing advance. You should thank him for this. I see cars all the time where somone made 500HP at 14-15psi.. Cars that are tuned with more timing and less boost on pump gas are at a greater risk of premature failure then cars that are tuned light on the timing and heavy on the boost. Power is power, you obviously have a conservative tune which will probably keep your motor together for a good while. Now if your on race gas and this is a full drag car then its a different story.

As far as water meth goes. I like it for some motors, and others i don't. I really wouldn't use it on a K series. With a nice conservative tune you really shouldnt need it unless theres just some issue with your motor, or your one of those guys wants every last little HP you can squeeze at the risk of reliability...

Now if this was a subaru motor then I'd say screw the nozzle just stick the hose in the intake and turn on the pump ;) ...
Thanks for the advice, I'm relatively new to the honda scene so I'm still learning all the ways of makeing power, When i bought the W.m system i was under the impression that it would allow me to make more horsepower while keeping the engine safe. But after experienceing the problems with it, i've relized that it is just one more system that can fail and cause horible things to happen very quickly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts