Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To everyone on K20A.org,
I am going to be finishing my all motor K-series engine in the next month. I have the following things to be installed in my RSX:

Type S engine
Ported and polished head w/ 3 angle valve job
Hondata IM Gasket
Lightweight TB
Type R IM
DC race header
AEM V2
ACT Extreme Organic clutch and pressure plate

All I need now is a K-pro (or k-100) and a good set of cams. I talked to Brian at Crower and now I'm asking others for suggestions. I want a set of cams that will deliver ample power (220whp with my setup) but still give me a fairly linear power curve. No rough idle. Basically, streetable and when I want to go fast I can go fast. Any opinions?

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
I would say both crower and IPS could do it but just cams will not cut it. You will also need bigger injectors and a better manifold. The reason why I say this is because it looks like the motor needs more air. The type r manifold is nice but in your case you are asking the motor to produce close to 50whp more than stock. The type R could work, I am not sure about this but that is the feedback I have been getting.

In all motor, unlimited air is best but I do undertand that ITBS are not for every one. The IPS and crower cams are big, so they need big help. The stock injectors are not going to cut it. YOu should try it though since you arleady have it though.. You never know.

Good luck,

Nikos

·
Punishin' Bitches
2,453 Posts
Look into a nice set of cams to go with your Compression. Also who did your headwork?
Where in Va are you located. Im in springfield area.

Edit: I see nikos point. If i ever get serious enough with this project in the future i will probaby opt out for ITBS and send my whole IM to get ported out along with my head to somebody. Still would probably come out cheaper than getting ITBs also. :up:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nikos - you are basically saying that unless I get ITB's on the car, I will never reach 220whp? what size injectors would you suggest to run the cams?

BF - The Head Shop in Va Beach area did the work for me, port and polish with 3 angle valve job, cleaning, pressure check and reassembly for 600. I'm in hampton

·
Punishin' Bitches
2,453 Posts
Good shit. Well depending on how good the headwork is, and what header you are using i think you could hit 220. Im not sure if you would max out the stock Injectors since your using the Type S motor. Look into investing in some 440s.

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
No.. I am saying that ideally ITBS will give the best result in all motor. With the type manifold you might reach 220 with good tuning and cams. I know someone is dynoing in the RBC manifold (jdm euro r) and that seems to flow better.

Give it a shot with the ITR manifold you have and you will know what is up once you tune and dyno.

As far as injectors keep these stock too.. Get the car running first and then go on from there.. Injectors, manifolds are not hard to install once the engine is in.. If you are one of these people that want everything done right the first time... then you would have to speak directly to someone that is using the IPS or crower cams in their type S and go from there.

There are other factors that affect the whp result other than the air coming in.. It is a very complicated matter, that you cannot eyeball.

This coming weekend, if the install goes well we will ahve some results on the crower cams stage 2 3/4 in a k20a R with ITBS and a stock block. That will give us a clear idea what is going on..

Since these cams are fairly new, do your research. That will eventually save you money.

Tuning is the most important part of the equation. If hondata tuned your car, what do you think, would you be able to get 220 whp? lol, I am pretty sure you would.

Nikos

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well there is a guy here in VA that is VERY good with hondata tuning (squeezed another 10 whp out of a presumably maxed out engine and it runs perfectly fine) Well I was leaning toward the Crower stage 2 (3/4) cams or the Type R cams b/c My tuner here in VA said both would yield power and retain good driveability. I'll wait till you get those stage 2 cams in for a definite buy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
600 for porting and assembling is that pretty good??? I dont really know.. All I know is so far on my head there has been 20+ hours work gone into porting and testing it.. Provided all the assembling of my head goes without a hitch and the clearances are ok we will be dynoing friday or Saturday..

·
Registered
565 Posts
well luckily I dont have to worry to much about paying full price for my head work..
I wont have flow figures to post as we wont have the time to test it when we are finished. The head will be assembled tomorow to check clearances and then pulled apart and put together properly.. We will then get the car running enough to be able to start tuning. then its a 2 hr drive to get the car tuned. I'm guessing this time it could be a 4-10hr dyno session so it will probably be on saturday. so hopefully we get some good gains...

·
Registered
565 Posts
The car runs absolutely mint with out VTC. it basically makes it a 2litre Vtec. It has a smooth power curve. I think for alot of people tuning it is easier without VTC. I might have lost a little bit of power between 3-5000rpm but that would be about it..
Now with my K20A with the Crower 2 3/4 cams there is NO VTC tuning window. I beleive on the Vtec lobe there is only 5 degrees of cam adjustment available, so VTC would be pretty dangerous in Vtec. Although I also beleive that is isnt a problem on the K20A-2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.