Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a K24A1 longblock in which I plan to put a K20Z3 head on. This motor is being built for drag racing with a goal in mind of a 7 second 1/8th mile. No street driving involved.

I was thinking of using Wiseco 13.7:1cr pistons in this build. With that sort of compression in mind, I will only be using race gas.

I need help on choosing the "right" head components such as cams etc.. Being as this is my first build.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok most builder will Keep there spec to them-selfs due to competition. I don't build, I buy stuff. 7 sec 1/8 mile, you want it all up front on take off, witch is not what most here do. They are 1/4 mile racers. Go to the drag talk and read the all/motor 1/4 mile info, and find 11.2-5 sec set-ups & you'll have a 7 sec 1/8 mile all/motor build.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
with that compression that you're wanting to run, plan on adding some stage 3 camshafts. With a good tuner,good driver,good suspension setup,good size slicks and you should be hitting 7sec 1/8th times no problem. also what chasis are you planning on putting this motor into??
I've already achieved 8.0's 1/8th with only a stock k20a2 motor with bolt on's... that time was with a pathetic launch of 5500rpm on 22x8x15's on 10psi(first and only time ever ran on slicks). I am confident that with a higher launch and 7.8's-7.9's are there.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I recently purchased a K24A1 longblock in which I plan to put a K20Z3 head on. This motor is being built for drag racing with a goal in mind of a 7 second 1/8th mile. No street driving involved.

I was thinking of using Wiseco 13.7:1cr pistons in this build. With that sort of compression in mind, I will only be using race gas.

I need help on choosing the "right" head components such as cams etc.. Being as this is my first build.

Thanks in advance.
Jason
Im sure the 7 sec 1/8 goal could be reached easily, but you have to understand that not all cams will function to their full potential with those pistons. Due to P2V clearances and such. VTC will most likley be limited if u run an agressive cam. Ur best bet will be a custom piston w/ agressive cams, or a mild cam that has been proven to run on those 13.7's without a problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the P2V is what I am really concerned about as well. I will be using the stock bore of 87mm, being as we don't have a good machine shop to trust down here. A custom piston may also be another option.

The motor is going into my DC2, which is completely gutted, and I might be using some Lexan windows for more weight reduction.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yea the P2V is what I am really concerned about as well. I will be using the stock bore of 87mm, being as we don't have a good machine shop to trust down here. A custom piston may also be another option.

The motor is going into my DC2, which is completely gutted, and I might be using some Lexan windows for more weight reduction.
Go pick up an eg for the weight

If you want to keep the dc2 then i would seriously consider doing more than gutting your interior and lexan windows.

Hack away at your trunk and front end. Maybe an aluminum floor?

Dc2 are heavy chassis and alot of this simple weight reduction will still only get you a little more than a stock eg.

a eg hatch bottom of the line is almost in the teens considering weight.

just my .02

·
Registered
87 Posts
That does sound like a really make sense, but I really wanted to use my DC2 for this build.

I am sure I can get this car as light as possible.

I need help with the engine though.
What ralph commented sums it up in a nut shell

If your focused on the time then first work with what you have and see from there. Not many people build there cars, go out there on their first run and pull the time they want.

Go out there with your current set-up, good axles and some slicks and see what you run. With some massive slicks on a superlight car you should be able to pull some nice times stock. Then see where you go from there.

I think if you run those pistons get em custom made for the cams you are using since those high comp. pistons + stg3 cams are gonna make the vtc almost useless.

you might not need all that compression. Maybe some 12.5 and some stg3 on some nice tires will be nice. Your running a 2.4 block giving you that advantage on torque.

Since your running 1/8 mile try and focus more on traction and suspension. helps alot out the hole and thats where your times are coming from in the 1/8

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^Thats some very good food for thought. I'm still very new to this so I will definitely be learning and sharing as I go along.

After reading your advice, I am getting an idea of doing this car in stages. I'll start out with some stock internals K24 frank motor in my fully gutted dc2, get the traction down to the tee and progress from there.
The motor hasn't been put together as yet, but I may just start putting this thing together this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts