Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Best oil for the K20a R

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, since I restored my Integra now I need to put back all the fluid in it. So basically I have to make some choice and would need your opinion. I got a K20a R with Type R 5 lug Dc2 brake, kept the Powersteering and the radiator will be a full aluminium one.

I was thinking to start with
=Amsoil synthetic 10w30 engine oil
=Honda OEM transmission fluid
=ATE superblue brake fluid
=Coolant=>? red or green anybrand?
=Powersteering=>?

Thanks
Also I made a pool since for the engine oil I have been using Mobil1 syntec for a while and my Bserie was working good but was burning oil like a oil pump machine...
Thank you everyone, I have read alot on bobistheoilguy but there are not alot of convern about the Honda K series

·
Registered
417 Posts
go with the oem honda BLUE coolant, smells like berries BUT does NOT taste like it and it stands out alot of there is a leak..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JFX, emailed you back man, and here is that thread http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31101

How cold does it get where you are, and if freezing, how much of the year?
Yes I got your email, hopefully I won't use my car in the winter, so most of the use will be between 15 and 30 degree celcius, however just before I garage it may go down to -5(but not for a long period of time)
Thanks again

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My choice is made for the transmssion: HONDA new MFT
Remaining : Engine betweeen amsoil and M1 and coolant,

ALSO for the brake fluid I have heard of new DOT5 that does not damage the paint, I also have heard that the DOT5 is not compatible with previous DOT, but however I flushed all my system since my car is stripped; I have also heard of DOT5.1 that is compatible with previous DOT3,4 system but I don't know if the DOT5.1 damage the paint;(because since I changed all my line, switched to a 5 lug master) their is a little possibility that I have a leak.
I need a little help deciding which brake fluid I will use...
Thank
JF

·
Registered
251 Posts
DOT5 is fully sinthetic and is not recommend, it also will not mix with dot3,4,5.1. the other ones will mix and will also take the paint off your car but they are better for keeping water out of your brake lines..they only absorb about 2% a year...go to carbible.com , there is a really good section on different brake fluids

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mobil 1 motor oil
Honda/Acura tranny oil
Prestone green coolant 50/50
Prestone DOT3 brake fluid

It's what I run in my Honda :up: :up:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
RP 5w-30/10w-30 w/M104 filter

use Honda MTF, or Pennzoil Synchromesh

Honda typeII coolant

and finally ATE superblue brake fluid

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After I read a couple of review & discussion here and on other forum (bitog) and think that most people use M1 but I think that Amsoil a a bit better, however for the price and availability it is really hard to change from M1. I will probably start my engine in 2-3 week so give me all the story/comment you want...
Thank you everyone
JF

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the pattern that it looks like:
-Engine oil=>Amsoil
-Tranny oil=>New Honda MTF(but I can't find it IN CANADA :down: there is no dealer that is seller it, and I don't see it on ebay :( )
-Brake fluid=> ATE superblue
-PowerSteering=>Honda P/S fluid
-------------------------------
-------------------------------
-Coolant=>??? green or red???

Thank you for every comment
PS:I know its a bit of topic, but would you recommend me using the S2K oil filter instead of the RSX one?
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
-Coolant=>??? green or red???
Prestone Green!

PS:I know its a bit of topic, but would you recommend me using the S2K oil filter instead of the RSX one?
I heard all Honda oil filters are the same even though I believe there are 2 different part #'s. Doesn't make sense to me, but I researched this before going from D to B to K series :cool:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts