Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to clarify a few things about Albins Gears since there are a few misnomers floating around out there.

PPG and Albins are not the same company and have no relation to each other whatsoever. We (Bullhead Gears) imported PPG's but no longer does. Bullhead was the first to bring PPG's to the Honda market, starting with the straight cut K series synchro set. Since early 2010 we(Bullhead and Speedfactory) have decided to only import Albins after we saw all of the benefits of Albins capabilities that will help us going forward in offering new, better, and cutting edge products. Their team of designers are amazing to say the least and they thrive on using cutting edge techniques to design the most durable and best suited gears for each unique application. They have machines that very few other companies allowing for stronger and more accurate tooth profiles in many applications and being able to make anything that the design team can dream up.

Albins:

Albins Off Road Gear is the largest high performance gears manufacturer in the Southern Hemisphere. They specialize in engineering and production of driveline components for extreme duty applications. They make products for factory rally teams, Dakar rally podium finishers, Baja 1000 winners and top level touring car teams across the globe.

*Manufactured to ISO 9001/2000 quality standards.
*Billet high-alloy proprietary grade steel.
*CAD engineered custom tooth profiles.
*Robotic CMM scanned for tooth profile perfection.
*Manufactured as a direct-fitment replacement for standard units.
*Anti-fatigue shot peening treatment as standard on all components

I have also seen people looking for ratios that are more in line with the 6 speed trannys. We can do 6 speed type ratios for those who want them, we just started with the 5 speed since most boosted cars work better with those ratios. For 6 speed we would probably do something like 3.0 / 2.0 / 1.5 / 1.15

Albins has said that their ultimate goal with the k series is to give us an arsenal of options including Dog boxes which are in design and should be ready ready this spring.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the durability of dog engagement for drag racing?

How many pass i expect to make before it get damaged?
All depends like anything else, some guys can go 100+ passes and still look great, others damage fairly quickly usually due to mis shifts etc. They are stronger and allow for a much faster shift than synchro's and under hard conditions will outlast synchro's by quite a bit. For a pure drag racing car having a dogbox is the only way to go unless the budget isn't there or it will be mostly a street car and you don't want to bother with a dogbox. I have been driving a dogbox in my DD for 15k miles and its not hard to drive at all, it definetly is different and less civilized that synchro, and not many people will be able to drive your car without practice, but its pretty fun once you get used to it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Damn I was thinking able getting a dog box for a weekend toy track whore what a dream come true with your dd dog box is out 4 or 5 gears??

·
Registered
788 Posts
Kyle, still working good? How many miles? Any trips to the strip?
Yea the trans. Is holding up great :up: i put about 2000 miles on but i had to put the car away for the winter before i had a chance to go to the track... Im hopeing to get it to the track early this season

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn I was thinking able getting a dog box for a weekend toy track whore what a dream come true with your dd dog box is out 4 or 5 gears??
My dd is a subaru wrx actually, I have dogbox with group N ratios, all 5 gears. The ratios are really to short for a turbo car, but its still fun to drive.

Yea the trans. Is holding up great :up: i put about 2000 miles on but i had to put the car away for the winter before i had a chance to go to the track... Im hopeing to get it to the track early this season
Great, let me know how it goes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts