Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey would it be possible to run a aem ems with a k20 in a eg or is it better to use the stock comp?

if anyone knows this question let me know a.s.a.p thanks

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
k20me said:
hey would it be possible to run a aem ems with a k20 in a eg or is it better to use the stock comp?

My Choice will be the HONDATA K-PRO...

Features

Example photo only

Mounts in stock location and plugs into stock wiring harness.
Retains full immobilizer functionality to protect your vehicle from theft.
High speed USB connection – no more USB/Serial converters.
Re-calibrate for larger injectors.
3 dimensional tables for full I-VTEC mapping.
Compatible with Honda OBD II diagnostic tools & smog station scan tools.
Datalogging of 39 major sensors and data channels.
User programmable fuel, ignition & cam angle tables.
Control of open/closed loop operation.
VTEC window control.
Multiple fuel & ignition tables for different intake cam angles.
Expanded tables for up to 11 lbs boost (higher boost support coming soon).
Nitrous control with activation window control, solenoid output control and fuel/ignition parameters.

Built in calibrations

Eight different calibrations ship with the K-Pro. Larger injectors calibrations will be added as the injectors become available. Included is a calibration similar to the Hondata # 4 reflash and the K20A (ITR reflash). If you have a Jackson Racing supercharger or RevHard turbo this will allow you to run any boost level up to about 7 psi at 8000 rpm. More boost and more RPM will require bigger injectors. All tuning done with stock or RC injectors. It is still recommended to tune your car on the dyno when using the calibrations as they are meant as a starting point for tuning.

Boost

Boost is mapped to 12 psi (1.8 bar) using the stock map sensor. Future upgrades will support a 3 bar (29 pounds) map sensor. No additional hardware other than larger injectors is required or recommended to use the boost maps in a K series engine.

Nitrous

The K-Pro ECU upgrade is nitrous aware. Arm the nitrous on any one of several inputs and have the nitrous relay operated on one of several outputs. The K-Pro ECU on switching the nitrous relay will simultaneously retard the ignition and add fuel. A dry kit and bigger injectors are highly recommended although this will drive a wet kit by switching both fuel and nitrous relays simultaneously. This operates in conjunction with any form of NA or forced induction tuning. The nitrous feature will not work on the PRA, PRC or PRD ECU's.

VTEC

VTEC can now be switched on base on RPM and air pressure. This means you can have VTEC at a low RPM for supercharging and big cams and at a higher RPM for part throttle.

Closed loop

The US and Japanese K series engines use a wideband front oxygen sensor capable of maintaining a steady accurate airfuel ratio even under wide open throttle. This causes problems in boosted cars where it is possible to achieve significant boost levels at partial throttle while the ECU is trimming fuel to 14.7. This lean condition is not good for the engine and causes hesitation. This problem is not often seen on the dyno where runs are done at full throttle. This problem is most commonly seen rolling onto the throttle from a cruise.

Hondata can now switch your ECU to open loop based on boost pressure which will make your boosted engine run safer and smoother.

Parameters

For advanced high boost use, individual cylinder fuel trim gives extra fuel to any hot running cylinders for increased reliability.

ECU options

For race car use, the immobilizer, OBD II and all associated sensors can be switched off and removed, simplifying your wiring. The multiplexor (amongst other things) transmits information to the gauge cluster - for example water temperature.

Datalogging

Datalogging is done via the USB cable. No data is retained on board the ECU, so the amount of data is limited only by the laptop. In practice you can record data until your car needs refueling.

Datalogging graphs can display up to 4 charts of 4 sensors each in any combination.

Display

Several of the major sensors can be displayed in large, easily identified numbers. Great for road or dyno use.

Availability & Models Covered

Available for US RSX Type S, manual Base, Civic SI and JDM Integra Type R (Euro CTR coming soon) using:

PRB - US RSX-S
PRC - Japanese DC5 Integra Type R
PRD - Japanese Civic Type R,
PNF - 2002 + Civic Si
PND-A0# - US RSX Base RSX 5 speed
PPA -A0# - 2002 + CRV 5 speed
ECU Notes:

Base maps are included only for K20A2, K20A3 (RSX Base), K20A3 (Civic SI) and K20A engines.

- Support for the manual K20A3 engine and the secondary intake runner as used in the base model RSX and CRV.

- The Japanese PRD and PRC ECU do not support a fuel tank pressure sensor required for some US emissions tests, but will likely pass a tailpipe sniffer test if the catalytic converter is in place.

- PNF, PPA and PND ECUs for 5 speed transmissions will not operate the reverse lock solenoid on 6 speed transmissions.

- The K-Pro will not work on Automatic vehicles. Automatic ECUs cannot be converted to manual.

- Turn around time is usually 2 days from the time it is received.

General Notes

From previous ECU's Honda has changed from 2 dimensional tables (engine speed and engine load) to 3 dimensional tables (engine speed, engine load and cam angle). The K-Series Programmable ECU retains these 3
dimensional tables to ensure the engine is running at optimum efficiency and power for every cam angle.
The stock O2 sensor is wide band and can read from 11.5:1 to 30:1 A/F ratios.

Most OBDII features may be disabled for race vehicles.
Error codes and the OBDII readiness status may be datalogged.
Base tables are supplied for the RSX Type S, RSX Base, Civic SI and Integra Type R engines. These tables have been dyno tuned.
No external programmer
or other equipment is necessary. Just plug the ECU into a laptop via a USB cable.
Tables may be map-traced in real time.
The K-Series Programmable ECU is not real-time updateable, however most changes to tables and settings can be uploaded in 1-2 seconds.
The K-Series Programmable ECU is a separate product from the s100/s200 line, and will not share the same options (e.g. 3 step) nor software (HondaLogger,
RomEditor). All systems are fully programmable by the user. All K-Series Programmable ECU systems include all features (e.g. boost, datalogging).
Feedback

THE VERDICT: Hondata K-pro is the sh_t!! Ever since I got my RSX, I never seemed to bond with the car like I did with my Old civic Si... I tried putting bolt ons,
making it look pretty, a turbo kit and nothing seemed to helped it.... but the I added K-Pro..
and its a different story. The car feels and pulls sooooo strong its unbelievable. I raced my friend with a turbo prelude, port and polish, higher boost etc, and i can literally say that I left him like he was standing still! Before Hondata we were pretty much dead even all the way to 100. Yesterday, I gave him a 2 second lead and I railed him in soooo fast that I thought that he had either let off or slightly tapped the brake... needless to say, it made me fall in love with my car again!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k20me said:
hey would it be possible to run a aem ems with a k20 in a eg civic or is it better to use the stock comp from rsx?

or what other stand alone is good?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brian g said:
k20me said:
or what other stand alone is good?
AEM is about th release their EMS for K20 swapped car.

brian g
thanks for your guys opinion by the way when will the k20 swapped ems come out ?

will the integra aem ems work with a k20. what about the ckp and tdc sensor on the k20.how does those work, do they read like distributer type integs and civics.

if it works like integs,and civics you could wire up that motor like a gsr right or am i wrong let me know

and if you put it into a eg civic what axles is better to use, the custom ones made for that swap, or custom your own. if i custom my own what
axles do i have to get? let me know

thanks alot

·
Registered
599 Posts
k20me said:
brian g said:
when will the k20 swapped ems come out ?

will the integra aem ems work with a k20. what about the ckp and tdc sensor on the k20.how does those work, do they read like distributer type integs and civics.
I'm not sure exactly when it's going to be available, they just told me it's coming.
The swapped K20 EMS is specifically configured for the K20 engine in pre OBD2C cars. It lacks the multiplex output. It plugs into K20 plugs not the existing ones in your car though.

I'm not clear on the internal working of the EMS but it seems to me that any of the EMS units would be configurable to work with just about any engine. Providing you have the expertise of course.

brian g

·
Registered
39 Posts
brian g said:
k20me said:
brian g said:
when will the k20 swapped ems come out ?

I'm not sure exactly when it's going to be available, they just told me it's coming.
The swapped K20 EMS is specifically configured for the K20 engine in pre OBD2C cars. It lacks the multiplex output. It plugs into K20 plugs not the existing ones in your car though.

I'm not clear on the internal working of the EMS but it seems to me that any of the EMS units would be configurable to work with just about any engine. Providing you have the expertise of course.

brian g
i know you dont work there Brian, but can you confirm that the AEM EMS will be able to fully control the VTC?

and if i have the K20A2 engine loom - it will plug into the PnP AEM EMS?

thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.