Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,807 Posts
Separate topic:

Turns out that AEM neither designed nor programmed the Infinity ECU; that was done by a Colorado company and AEM rebranded it. This explains a few things, most notably how it's like pulling teeth to learn about the inner workings of the ECU. Yes, there is a manual but some information is either vague or completely missing. On the AEM Infinity forum, you can ask questions of The Anointed Ones and hope they answer because there's no place it's written down that users can access.

I work in aerospace and we have "Data Dictionaries" that defines every single logged variable - what it does, how it's scaled, how it's set, and so on. I've suggested several times to AEM that they create something similar and just hear crickets. I suspect the silence is their way of trying to protect their design (or being unwilling to spend the money) but it reduces users to owning black boxes where we only know ~60% of how it works, leaving 40% darkness, which leads to endless - and needless - questions.
 

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
"Weeks" as in me having a day job and balancing working on the car and running a family. In terms of hours, I probably spent maybe the equivalent of a day.
I know too good too, family-job-hobby-managing Very good for the first time you did it :up:.

...Turns out that AEM neither designed nor programmed the Infinity ECU; that was done by a Colorado company and AEM rebranded it. This explains a few things, most notably how it's like pulling teeth to learn about the inner workings of the ECU. Yes, there is a manual but some information is either vague or completely missing. On the AEM Infinity forum, you can ask questions of The Anointed Ones and hope they answer because there's no place it's written down that users can access.

I work in aerospace and we have "Data Dictionaries" that defines every single logged variable - what it does, how it's scaled, how it's set, and so on. I've suggested several times to AEM that they create something similar and just hear crickets. I suspect the silence is their way of trying to protect their design (or being unwilling to spend the money) but it reduces users to owning black boxes where we only know ~60% of how it works, leaving 40% darkness, which leads to endless - and needless - questions.
Very nice info, kb58.

We also have detailed lists of our ECU's, where parameter name, datatype, description and comments, also like setup range and owner of the parameter are stated. If they didn't programm and developed it their self, it is very likely they don't know some of the details simple not. We develope our own ECU's but not the ignition driver, out from the discussions with the supplier of it, I can tell you, it is near to impossible to know all what the programmer itself and the board designer knows. From that perspective the silence is maybe a shame to be unable to answer it or they have a bad communication with the company in Colorado...just guessing.

Why don't we collect questions here, maybe some of here know it by chance?

Markus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,807 Posts
Here's the actual creator of the Infinity: https://enginelab.net/products/

To be fair, it's unclear if EngineLab created it on their own, then AEM saw it and bought it. Or, did AEM commission EngineLab to make a ECU to their specs? Or, did AEM buy a generic ECU from EngineLab and then develop some portion of the interface? Who knows, but it probably explains why their manual is light on some details and missing others completely.
 

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Joined
·
5,842 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,807 Posts
Thanks, that's the manual which I feel is incomplete. It's fine until you really need to do something specific, then holes appear. If you read their forum, there are threads which aren't really necessary had the manual been completed. I guess it's always easy to pick on specific cases, but as it's no longer a new product, they can't claim it's an initial effort.
 

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
The offline programming and configuration of my AEM Infinity is nearly finished, its a sort of plug and play pre-tuning to brake in the engine without tuning effort, just by running the closed loop. Not an easy job with that much customizing I did:
  • E-Pump control by boost control functionality
  • CAN bus use as far as possible, far means here I use the Vehicle Dynamic Modul, the X-series Wideband and the GPS, no further input is valid for the ECU for further operation than just reading.
  • additional temperature sensor integration by using voltage inputs
  • Channels for Performance calculations like: actual power, torque, BMEP, residual gas content, ...
  • Humidity corrected fueling…
  • ...and some other stuff
So far I like it despite the fact that the manual is not complete, the CAN bus capability is a joke. The lacking fields are just because AEM routed differently her sales program. The Infinity development was reduced massively to develop their Dash program, just my feeling. I was diving into EningeLAB, the company which customize the AEM Infinity out of their hard- and software. This is the real shit, with that basis you can do everything, maybe not driving to the moon, but integrating more than hardware pins are available or functions are considerable, just what you need. The EL Console is just a platform which allows you to do your own firmware for the EL 128 hardware (similar to AEM Infinity 710 hardware). If I would have more time I definitely would go this way. Actually I have to concentrate to get my DAMPFHAMMER engine built and tuned. Sparetime is always demanded by someone else when having a family :wink:.

Verdict: AEM Infinity is a very good platform for the Honda K-series for its price, it accepts a lot of math calculations and customizing of functions. The lacking fields can be compensated with reading forums and calm down your CAN bus integration aim. Those who want more must buy a MoTec M1 developers kit (4500 USD) or a EngineLAB EL 128 and develop their stuff themselve (2000 USD). Strong knowhow in engine math, thermodynamics, programming and electronics is recommended for the later approach!
 
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Top